Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB/PIF MYOG Materials

Display Avatars Sort By:
Marc Kokosky
(mak52580) - F

Locale: Washington, DC Area
WTB/PIF MYOG Materials on 03/31/2013 21:22:26 MDT Print View

I need to do some minor MYOG work but can't seem to source the materials locally and was hoping someone had them laying around that they could PIF or sell to me. If PIF I'm willing to cover shipping and facilitation costs.

1. Reflectix material. I need to make a pot coozy for my new Evernew .9L pot. I went to Home Depot and the only size they had was 25' for $16. Since I only need a little bit I didn't want to buy the whole roll.

2. 1.5" webbing. I need to make a bigger waist belt for a GG Murmur that I bought here on GS last week. My REI and other local outfitters only carry 1". I only need about 4' to be safe.

Thanks!

Wade Ford
(cwford) - MLife

Locale: NTX
re: Reflectix on 03/31/2013 22:44:05 MDT Print View

Give me the dimensions you need and I will send you a piece.

Jared Baker
(simply_light) - MLife

Locale: Midwest, US
Cheap source of Reflectix on 04/01/2013 04:04:26 MDT Print View

It is a pain to try to get just a small quantity of anything to do MYOG projects, so I try to keep my eye out for sun shades made out of reflectix(the type used in cars to reflect the heat) whenever I am in a thrift store. You can usually pick one up for a buck or two and get enough material to make at least 2 cozies.

The same can be said for buckles & webbing. Most thrift stores probably have a few backpacks, duffel bags, etc for sale. Not always, but sometimes.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: WTB/PIF MYOG Materials on 04/01/2013 10:20:18 MDT Print View

I've ordered random lengths of webbing from owfinc.com. Shipping cost isn't too bad, but I always try to group orders to minimize this.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: WTB/PIF MYOG Materials on 04/01/2013 10:36:54 MDT Print View

Seattle Fabrics is a great resource for MYOG materials. You guys would love it-- bins full of hardware, reels of line and webbing and rolls of trick fabrics on racks 8' tall. I should take some photos next time I go.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/

I like the thrift store salvage concept a lot. Many stores have days/tag colors with deep discounts---like $0.99. Those are the times to check.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: WTB/PIF MYOG Materials on 04/01/2013 10:42:20 MDT Print View

I have heard about Seattle Fabrics - sounds like a dangerous place to go

Fortunately, I don't find myself in downtown Seattle very often

Marc Kokosky
(mak52580) - F

Locale: Washington, DC Area
Thanks! on 04/01/2013 12:32:56 MDT Print View

Wow thanks all!

I forgot to "Watch This Thread" and just now got back to it.

Thank you for all the great responses.

Marc