Forum Index » Gear Deals » MSR Lightning Ascent Snow Shoes - All Sizes 60% Off - $108-$120

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
$56 Evos on 04/04/2013 11:04:38 MDT Print View

Should get my EVOs in the mail today. $56 is a pretty good entry price to the sport in my book!

Similarly the Lightening Axis 25" are $95 right now.

I did have a question (should I enjoy the sport and want to do more...): What is the difference between the Lightening axis and ascent and the evo tour and ascent. From what I can tell the axis/tour models are identical to the ascent models (heel riser being the main addition from entry level MSR shoes) except they let you adjust the location of the bindings left-right to compensate for any pigeon or duck walking gait.

Are there any significant pros-cons to this binding that affect durability or usage?

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
bindings on 04/04/2013 13:26:50 MDT Print View

Dustin,

The axis have a simplified binding (as opposed to the Ascent's multi-strap binding). While in theory it should have been better, Phil at sectionhiker.com found that the simplified binding was not that secure. Seems like the Axis would fair better on mild trails where losing a snowshoe isn't critical. The ascent's multi-strap binding system is a tried and true system that's been around for quite some time.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: bindings on 04/04/2013 14:27:49 MDT Print View

I totally agree with Konrad about the bindings. I have a few pair with both setups and while the Axis is easier for my wife to use but I don't take her anywhere that puts a strain on the the binding. I have used them myself (I prefer the width of the women's snowshoe) but have stepped out on a steep side hill and they don't give me that "I'm secure in my bindings" feel. For an extra $10 I think is is worth getting the Ascents.

BTW, I also think the heal lift is worth spending extra to get.

Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

Locale: Costa Mesa, CA
very sweet deal thanks! on 04/04/2013 17:12:21 MDT Print View

Nice! I'm about to snag some...gonna see if backcountry.com will price match though so I have the nice unlimited warranty as well. Too bad the womens aren't on sale though. I would probably do better with the narrower shoe.

Ken Nguyen
(ninjapuppet) - F - MLife

Locale: B-Town
Re: Re: bindings on 04/06/2013 10:29:19 MDT Print View

Tad, I got my ascents from you a year ago for a bargain of $180 or so. They were damaged due to my stupidity and thanks to the OP, i got another pair now.

P S
(xeren) - F

Locale: Southern California
damage? on 04/06/2013 11:13:13 MDT Print View

how did you manage to damage them? just so i can avoid whatever it was. they seem pretty burly as it is.

Ken Nguyen
(ninjapuppet) - F - MLife

Locale: B-Town
Re: damage? on 04/06/2013 19:34:54 MDT Print View

It was my stupidity for reversing my truck over them.

However my 100kg mate also had a pair in size 30". With his 30kg backpack, his ascents also bent in the middle after just 1 day too but were replaced by MSR.

Bradley Danyluk
(dasbin) - MLife
bent on 04/06/2013 19:49:05 MDT Print View

Thanks, I will now try to avoid reversing my truck over them.

Is driving forward OK as far as we know?
What about minivans?

Edited by dasbin on 04/06/2013 19:49:50 MDT.

Emmett Lyman
(ejl10) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Got mine! on 04/08/2013 18:48:38 MDT Print View

Got my 25s today, and they look great. Can't wait till next season to get some miles on them! Even if MSR releases a new model next season, I was considering buying a used pair early season at IME in N. Conway for over $200. This is an excellent deal no matter what happens!

P S
(xeren) - F

MSR Bag on 04/09/2013 12:12:01 MDT Print View

Just a heads up, REI has the MSR Snowshoe bags on sale for ~$27. Haven't seen them in person, but I would be surprised if they weren't well made since they're MSR.

Just waiting for a deal on a good pair of trekking poles to come around now.

P S
(xeren) - F

Lightning Axis on 04/11/2013 00:59:57 MDT Print View

Lightning Axis for $95, 25 inch, tomato red:

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Lightning-Shoes-25-Inch-Tomato/dp/B003EZQ5NO

The Lightning Ascents are STILL on sale for $108 in 25 inch, $120 in 30 inch:

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Lightning-Ascent-Shoes-25-Inch/dp/B0076ZSG4E

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Re: MSR Lightning Ascent on 04/11/2013 15:50:54 MDT Print View

I saw this thread was still active and decided to see if they were still on sale and was surprised to see they were. The 30" yellow anyway, which is what I was trying to avoid buying. I already have a pair of 25" and tails but have found myself in deep powder wishing for more flotation a couple of times. Since they've been on sale so long, I took it as I sign that I should buy them. So I did. I wonder if my wife will interpret the sign the same way? :)