Forum Index » GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: New InReach SE owner on 07/17/2014 15:45:29 MDT Print View

"No other trips planned for July, so I can burn a message or two and still be under my monthly limit."

You will want to pay attention to when your month starts and ends. It is not the end of the month. For you, the month will start about when you activated it.

--B.G.--

Jonathan Shefftz
(jshefftz1) - MLife

Locale: Western Mass.
no-goTenna on 07/17/2014 16:33:08 MDT Print View

So let's see:
- DeLorme inReach can send and receive messages with any SMS or email address anywhere in the world
vs
- goTenna can send and receive messages only with another goTenna-linked phone via two-watts on MURS within a range of . . . well, take your pick:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/07/17/gotenna-looks-like-pricey-cool-way-stay-connected-signal-available-now-pre-order/
"Under normal circumstances, expect to be within a mile or two of someone instead."

http://www.cnet.com/news/gotenna-creates-cell-network-out-of-thin-air-anywhere-on-earth/
"[...] around 1 mile in skyscraper-filled urban areas, but up to 9 miles in most outdoor situations like hiking and camping. If you're climbing or, say, out skiing, it shoots from 9 miles to as high as 50 miles once you start ascending to higher elevations."

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/gotenna-makes-smartphones-into-walkie-talkies-sort-of-91994621824.html
"GoTenna says its devices will transmit up to three miles in the woods or eight miles over open water."

http://www.fastcompany.com/3032791/most-creative-people/gotenna-lets-you-text-when-theres-no-service
"Perdomo says in a city the low-frequency radio waves reach about a mile, but in an open field it can reach about 50 miles."

http://www.examiner.com/article/gotenna-allows-you-to-send-texts-when-you-have-no-service
"For example, at the top of a mountain, a GoTenna could find devices up to 50 miles away. But when in the center of a forest, it might only be able to reach three to four miles away."

Jonathan Shefftz
(jshefftz1) - MLife

inReach first month = prorated on 07/17/2014 16:35:24 MDT Print View

The first month for the inReach is prorated -- or at least mine was last year.
And the month is not a calendar month, but a 30/31-day period that starts on the 7th and ends on the 6th . . . or at least that's what mine was shifted to.
So depending on exactly when you activate, you might have only a single message of the normal ten allowance.

Edited by jshefftz1 on 07/17/2014 16:37:16 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: inReach first month = prorated on 07/17/2014 16:49:50 MDT Print View

"And the month is not a calendar month, but a 30/31-day period that starts on the 7th and ends on the 6th . . . or at least that's what mine was shifted to."

There are others of us with a month starting on the 15th. I suspect that everybody has a different date. It might not be a 30/31-day period, either. February is shorter.

--B.G.--

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Locale: New Uraniborg CO
Calendar Shock on 07/17/2014 19:08:25 MDT Print View

"February is shorter."

When did that happen? Are the Feds messing with the eternal verities again?

Jonathan Shefftz
(jshefftz1) - MLife

Explorer Model Update on 08/07/2014 12:52:43 MDT Print View

Explorer model update: gpx file import is now supported!

Waypoint total is currently capped at 200, but "We are working to remove the limit in the coming weeks."
Also, each imported tracklog is limited to 512 points/nodes. But since the number of separate tracklogs/routes appears to be unlimited, if you want to retain the original detail of each tracklog, then you can just split it into however many separate components are necessary to stay within 512.

Export to gpx still seems to capture only the Explorer-created tracklog.
But that's not a big drawback for me personally, as the limited number of waypoints I anticipate creating with the Explorer can be copied over manually to other software.
(By contrast, I have many hundreds of previously created waypoints I want to import into the unit, and probably some new tracklogs/routes too so as to compensate for the unit's lack of a basemap.)

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Fees on DeLorme Invoice Declining! on 08/07/2014 19:17:44 MDT Print View

I'm trying to frame this as a complaint, but it's not easy.

The last couple of months the fees added onto my monthly Safety Plan invoice are adding up to about seventeen cents. So, instead of paying the advertised rate of $11.95, I'm being soaked for $12.12! A few months ago, as I recall, the fees were two or three dollars extra.

Those were the days!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Fees on DeLorme Invoice Declining! on 08/07/2014 19:27:25 MDT Print View

You want to watch your DeLorme invoice closely for mistakes.

I caught them at one last month. Strangely enough, the mistake was in their favor.

--B.G.--

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Explorer update... on 08/08/2014 00:59:35 MDT Print View

Jonathan - thanks for the Explorer update info.

When my inReach SE gave up on me a few weeks ago I replaced it with the Explorer. I picked it up a day before a week long trip in the Rockies, so not much time to test it before heading out. Your review was very helpful.

The GPX import is great news for me as well, but unlike you, the lack of support for an all inclusive GPX file export is very frustrating for me. I want to (and did) leave my Garmin GPS at home on my recent trip but since I used the inReach Explorer to mark waypoints for trail intersections etc, I was disappointed to see the waypoints weren't in the GPX export file. Having to transfer them manually is too time consuming.

One of the main reasons I went with the Explorer was to be able to capture (and export) waypoints. The capturing part works well and the map screen worked well for me too, which was a pleasant surprise since it's so small. I like the fact that you can pan on the map screen (unlike my Foretrex, which doesn't pan on the map screen... Very useful).

Edited by skopeo on 08/08/2014 01:01:00 MDT.

Jim Larkey
(jimlarkey) - MLife

Locale: NoCO
Re: Re: Fees on DeLorme Invoice Declining! on 08/08/2014 06:36:27 MDT Print View

"You want to watch your DeLorme invoice closely for mistakes."....yeah, 50ยข for Test Message this month.

Edit: Acc't says they're fixing the system.

Edited by jimlarkey on 08/08/2014 08:39:51 MDT.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Re: Re: Re: Fees on DeLorme Invoice Declining! on 08/09/2014 10:12:30 MDT Print View

Got the same 50 cent test message charge this month. Customer support couldn't explain, removed charge as a "courtesy".

Maybe a coincidence, test message happened the same day I activated a replacement inReach SE.

-- Rex

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fees on DeLorme Invoice Declining! on 08/09/2014 11:14:50 MDT Print View

"a replacement inReach SE"

What happened, Rex? I suppose it must have failed or been damaged in some way.

Mine has been trouble free, so far. My remaining gripe is the SE's use of days of the week instead of dates. This is hardly a fatal flaw; it's a gripe. Days of the week repeat (every seven days, I think), but dates never repeat. (Not talking about my personal life!)

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
re: Replacement inReach SE on 08/09/2014 14:26:47 MDT Print View

Much too long of a thread here:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=93228

Short version: it stopped sending/receiving any kind of satellite messages. DeLorme replaced quickly.

Lesson: Test before important trips.

-- Rex