Forum Index » GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Not all USB are outlets equal... on 06/01/2014 12:48:25 MDT Print View

Sorry Jim - I wasn't actually serious in my post. I was being snarky.........

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Locale: New Uraniborg CO
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Not all USB are outlets equal... on 06/01/2014 13:03:01 MDT Print View

"Sorry Jim - I wasn't actually serious in my post. I was being snarky........."

Your proposed adventures sounded totally reasonable to me, Jen. Still do. My preposterometer did not get off zero, did not even quiver. Maybe, I should send it back to the shop for calibration -- or just throw it away and get the app.

Jonathan Shefftz
(jshefftz1) - MLife

Locale: Western Mass.
Explorer Feedback on 06/06/2014 10:11:25 MDT Print View

Based on some limited testing so far ... all the basic GPS navigational functions in the field seem fine ... can then transfer waypoints & tracks to computer ... can then edit waypoints, but not tracks ... can transfer tracks to gpx, but not waypoints ...
BIG PROBLEM: absolutely no gpx import for waypoints or tracks!?!
So only way to plan a trip by creating waypoints and routes (i.e., computer-created drawn lines, as opposed to the Explorer's field-created lines) beforehand is to create each one anew.
More specifically, for waypoints, click on some random point on the map, then copy over the actual waypoint coordinates from your mapping software of choice.
For routes -- which are lines, so "tracks" in Garmin speak (which uses "routes" to refer to ordered collections of waypoints) -- the only option is to click on the map to create individual track points. So if you're not following a trail on the topo or an image on the sat view in which you have lots of confidence, the only accurate option is to go back to your mapping software of choice, copy over lots of individual track points for new waypoints, then play connect-the-dots to create an accurate route.
Or, if you have an Explorer-created field track that you want to save as a route, then you can click away on your computer's map display to create a route overlaying the track.
(You don't want to save field-created tracks for future navigational purposes, since that will clutter up the memory, plus it's all or nothing for saving old tracks.)

Edited by jshefftz1 on 06/06/2014 10:18:12 MDT.

Jonathan Shefftz
(jshefftz1) - MLife

More on Explorer Navigational Features on 06/06/2014 15:10:35 MDT Print View

Just to clarify ... or perhaps to confuse? --

The Explorer essentially has three distinct sets of navigational data: Explorer-created lines called tracks, website-created lines called routes, and waypoints (which can be created -- and then commingled -- either by the Explorer or at the website).

1. Tracks can be synced to the website and then exported to a gpx file. The track memory can also be cleared on the Explorer to declutter the map view and free up memory. (However, for the latter concern, any track logging interval less than a minute prompts a warning about more rapid depletion of the battery, yet even a 10-second interval still provides an estimated week of tracking memory, and even a one-second interval provides an estimate day of memory.)

2. Routes can be created, edited, and deleted on the website, synced to the Explorer, and deleted on the Explorer. (An in-progress navigation to a website also shows up in the route, but then disappears once navigation is ended, although that disappearance could be a function of my navigation not having entailed actually going anywhere.) No possibility though for exporting the route out from the website via a gpx file (or any other way), and no possibility for importing route data from a gpx file (or any other way). To create a route more precise that just clicking on map features: a) if the goal is to create a saved route from an Explorer-created track, then you can click away to essentially create a new line overlaid on the recorded track; if the goal is to replicate a previously created track in a gpx file, you can create a series of temporary waypoints from the individual tracklog points, then play connect-the-dots with your drawn route.

3. Waypoints can be created, deleted, and edited on either the Explorer or the website, and synced back & forth. Waypoints created on the Explorer are automatically uploaded via the Iridium satellite network to the user's map page on the DeLorme website (and ditto for in-progress navigational "routes"), with no way currently to override this automated (and bafflingly free) uploading. The only way to import or export waypoint data to or from an outside source is to copy & paste the coordinates.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: More on Explorer Navigational Features on 06/06/2014 16:03:32 MDT Print View

Yikes!

Thanks for the beta-testing, Jonathan. I hope you're sharing your experience with DeLorme. Perhaps with a few upgrades to the firmware, the Explorer will be worth having at the extra cost. The SE, too, needed a few firmware tweeks to get dialed in.

For the time being I'll stay with the SE/iPodTouch combo. The iPod is troublesome in wet or very cold weather, but with care can be used even then. And, hey!, it's got a pretty good snapshot camera built in. The Gaia GPS app does all the map and nav stuff I need. One thing I really like about Gaia is how it synchs to other related devices and to its web account painlessly. It imports and exports gpx files without complaint.

Please keep posting your experience here.

Jonathan Shefftz
(jshefftz1) - MLife

Deja Vu all over again... on 06/06/2014 16:08:37 MDT Print View

Yes, it's like the initial SE roll-out all over again!
(Even took five rounds of phone calls with DeLorme tech support to get my Explorer to realize it was indeed an Explorer and not some sort of Explorer/SE hybrid, although that could have been only because I transferred over my service plan from the SE to the Explorer.)

The reaction of DeLorme tech support to all this has been amusing in a way, as they sure are good at keeping a "poker face" (well, the telephone equivalent) even after a loooong hold during which they must have had a very interesting conversation to verify that they are indeed chewing up their own Iridium bandwith (and Explorer battery power) with constant updates of every single Explorer-created waypoint...

Jonathan Shefftz
(jshefftz1) - MLife

Explorer Invoicing Problems on 06/07/2014 11:03:44 MDT Print View

The latest invoice just arrived: even though I'm supposed to get 10 freebies per "monthly" billing cycle (7th of each month through to the 6th of the following month), DeLorme is now charging me for every single message I send . . . which for this past cycle consisted of a test message (which isn't even supposed to count against my 10/month allotment) plus two track points (inadvertently sent while trying to figure out the new tracking options with the Explorer).

The fun side of those incorrect charges is that I can determine how much free satellite upload time I received from the Explorer's undocumented and apparently unintentional (and unalterable) constant uploading of all navigational data to the DeLorme website map page.
(I see from the usage that this must include not only waypoint creation and navigation, but also track *logs* even if track *points* are not being sent.)

Based on the average rate DeLorme charged me for the "units" attributable to the test message and track points, I received almost $19 worth of free (yet utterly worthless to me, and also battery-draining) satellite upload time.
And that was for maybe just a couple hours of so of navigational time.
For the current billing cycle when I'm actually use the Explorer in the field later this month, a quick calculation shows that DeLorme will be giving me (unless they fix it soon) over $500 in free satellite time!

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Firmware Update Now Available for SE on 06/09/2014 16:07:38 MDT Print View

It took me two tries to install 2.6.1

Seems there is some Explorer-like behavior now on the SE. In History I can View a bunch of points plotted. Not exactly sure how to do anything with them, however. There's a Navigate button, which suggests the SE could direct me to a selected point. Not that I care. (But, who knows?, maybe I might someday.)

The updated Help had nothing to say on the topic. Probably reading the Explorer User Guide would tell.

The dates are still maddeningly stated as days of the week. Sometimes I've got real dates, but now it's all days of the week. Different weeks, though. Can't tell which. I've talked to DeLorme about this. They agree it's a problem. This is one problem that has to be easy to fix: Always use dates.

Jonathan Shefftz
(jshefftz1) - MLife

More Feedback on Explorer on 06/29/2014 14:11:26 MDT Print View

I posted a detailed review here:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2JLBBG6VLZGUD/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2JLBBG6VLZGUD
... which prompted a follow-up from DeLorme (with gpx support coming soon, yeah!).

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Firmware Update Now Available for SE on 06/29/2014 14:30:49 MDT Print View

"It took me two tries to install 2.6.1"

I was having the same sort of trouble, so I complained to Delorme. Their answer: Do it twice!

--B.G.--

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Firmware update 2.6.2 on 07/06/2014 14:39:38 MDT Print View

Nothing on the DeLorme support web site about what's in 2.6.2, but that's what got installed today (eventually) while trying to sync.

https://support.delorme.com/kb/articles/44-inreach-se-explorer-firmware-update-release-notes

Update took three tries. Before third try, I reset screen lock from ON to OFF, and reset display timer from 30 seconds to 5 minutes, because it looked like the install bombed just after the screen locked.

After the update, I had to reset a bunch of settings again, including Bluetooth, Time Zone, and Coordinates. Other inReach SE owners don't have this problem, guess I'm lucky.

And the icons on the home screen have changed positions.

Added: No plotting in History, no Navigate button. Maybe those features were removed? I skipped the 2.6.1 update.

Added: Owner info finally shows up on lock screen!

-- Rex

Edited by Rex on 07/06/2014 14:46:08 MDT.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Firmware update 2.6.2 on 07/06/2014 15:08:51 MDT Print View

I tried several times to install 2.6.2, but it always hung. I gave up since I didn't need to sync. Will try again when I'm desperate.

UPDATE: Just checked the SE itself, and apparently the firmware is 2.6.24021. Somehow the update worked despite appearing to fail several times. The Explorer-like behavior is gone.

Edited by JimSubzero on 07/06/2014 15:16:07 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Firmware update 2.6.2 on 07/06/2014 15:32:07 MDT Print View

"2.6.24021"

That's what I've had for over a month now.

I don't think that the thing actually fails, but it does several things that make the user feel that it has failed in the update process.

--B.G.--

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Re: Re: Firmware update 2.6.2 on 07/06/2014 23:55:02 MDT Print View

"I don't think that the thing actually fails, but it does several things that make the user feel that it has failed in the update process."

Sounds like a failure to me. If success looks like failure, it's not success . . . in the realm of updating firmware, anyway. Historically though, success comes in many guises.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Cross-post: Google Earth track and profile from DeLorme inReach SE on 07/07/2014 00:25:24 MDT Print View

Took a little work, but you can import track points into Google Earth, and get an elevation profile.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=90733&nid=791123

-- Rex

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Firmware upgrade... on 07/07/2014 00:42:51 MDT Print View

After 2 failures to update, I shut of my virus scan and firewall (always a good idea) and it finally worked. I doubt the issue was the firewall though because the errors I received when it failed suggested that it was a lost connection to Delorme's site.

Strangest thing is that my firmware version is different than what you guys are seeing. My unit is running 2.6.25624. This makes me think that Delorme is doing minor tweaks to their software as they go... a bit concerning.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Firmware upgrade... on 07/07/2014 01:11:42 MDT Print View

"This makes me think that Delorme is doing minor tweaks to their software as they go... a bit concerning."

Mike, I raised that same concern to the tech support staff last month, and they claimed that it was all necessary. Yes, it might be necessary, to put one patch over the error that they made the month before.

--B.G.--

Jonathan Shefftz
(jshefftz1) - MLife

Track Export Feature on 07/07/2014 08:17:41 MDT Print View

Nice that the track export feature has returned -- migrated to a new spot, which also has just the right amount of available real estate to its left to allow for an "import" button (please...).

And my Explorer now also shows 2.6.25624 after a sync.

Jeff McWilliams
(jjmcwill) - M

Locale: Midwest
New InReach SE owner on 07/08/2014 08:21:25 MDT Print View

I got my InReach SE yesterday. Activated the safety plan, synced updates, and got the Delorme App on my Android phone.

I'm spending the weekend with wife and grandson in Red River Gorge, KY this weekend. I'll be bringing the unit with me to test its send/receive capabilities.

No other trips planned for July, so I can burn a message or two and still be under my monthly limit.

Thanks to you guys for continuing to update this thread with information. It's been great to monitor the discussion. It gave me much more confidence in picking the InReach SE over a SPOT or a PLB.

Michael Gillenwater
(mwgillenwater) - M

Locale: Seattle area
New non-satellite tech on 07/17/2014 15:40:01 MDT Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/93357/index.html

A link to separate thread on a new communication device. Curious what more folks think.