DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re: civilized link on 05/13/2014 22:47:45 MDT Print View

Rex, I am still looking for a shorthand text language that I can thumb type into the inReach SE and save characters.

--B.G.--

Jonathan Shefftz
(jshefftz1) - MLife

Locale: Western Mass.
SE For Sale on 05/23/2014 09:07:22 MDT Print View

I succumbed to Explorer temptation based on a special deal and the possibility of leaving my old Garmin GPSr home more often (especially now that I’ve been experimenting with Gaia on my newer more reliable smartphone).

So my SE is for sale - $190 on this forum, plus actual USPS priority mail shipping cost (once my Explorer arrives, with a somewhat uncertain arrival date).

Since buying it only ten months ago, I've used it to send out only a dozen or so messages, and it's been turned on for only maybe a dozen or so cumulative hours.
(Resided inside my pack for maybe a couple dozen trips.)

I did remove the belt clip, and although it can be clicked back into place, I heard here that once it's removed, it's never quite as secure again (although carrying it on a belt or strap never struck me as secure in the first place, hence I removed the clip).

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Locale: New Uraniborg CO
Re: SE For Sale on 05/23/2014 10:49:28 MDT Print View

"I did remove the belt clip, and although it can be clicked back into place, I heard here that once it's removed, it's never quite as secure again (although carrying it on a belt or strap never struck me as secure in the first place, hence I removed the clip)."

I described a fix for the once-removed belt clip in "Be careful what you wish for" on this thread. However, I decided against using the belt clip in favor of a small loop of light line through the lanyard. A tiny 'biner high on the pack secures it against loss. The SE is tucked into an upper pack pocket where it gets a good view of the sky. Easy to get to and use, but out of the way.

Just wondering, Jonathan, why you are upgrading to the Explorer when you used the SE so little. When used with a Bluetooth display device (as you plan to) the Explorer seems to add little function.

Jonathan Shefftz
(jshefftz1) - MLife

Locale: Western Mass.
Explorer Rationale on 05/23/2014 11:12:09 MDT Print View

"Just wondering, Jonathan, why you are upgrading to the Explorer when you used the SE so little. When used with a Bluetooth display device (as you plan to) the Explorer seems to add little function."

- Although I almost never use the SE in the sense of actually turning it on and/or taking it out of my pack (I've sent only several messages on ski mountaineering trips, and just for fun really when I first got it, with the other messages just test messages from inside), I've taken the SE with me on many backcountry skiing and ski mountaineering trips where cell reception isn't reliable. (I of course have the Safety plan!)

- I also take my old Garmin 60-series GPSr on those trips. Although I've used it so much over the years that it almost feels like one of my trusty ski partners, which technology evolving so rapidly, I'm thinking about leaving it home on many trips to save weight.

- I recently upgraded my phone for unrelated reasons (to Samsung S4 so-called "Mini"), which has the benefit of what seems like (although I haven't tested it in detail yet) a more accurate GPS chip (as compared to my old Droid Incredible). I've also been experimenting with the Gaia Android app, which has great map support, and some good features too.

- However, messing around with a phone touchscreen for navigation in snowy or wet weather = not so good. Hence the Explorer, which has real buttons, and real navigational features. No base maps, so I still see a potential need for my Garmin when I anticipate some serious navigational issues in bad weather. (Although of course that is a combination I would rather avoid regardless of choice of navigational tools!)

Picture from somewhere high on Mount Baker way back in 2007 -- that Garmin GPSr and the sun hat are the only things I've still be using on a regular basis:

Near the summit of Baker, July 2007

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Explorer Rationale on 05/23/2014 11:30:59 MDT Print View

You're definitely right about touch screens in adverse conditions. I would add to your list extreme cold. Though I work well below zero, they don't, I find.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: SE For Sale on 05/23/2014 19:45:43 MDT Print View

"However, I decided against using the belt clip in favor of a small loop of light line through the lanyard."

I use both. My SE is clipped on the top compression strap of my pack, and I also run a small loop of cord around that strap, so if the clipped failed I wouldn't lose the SE.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Portable battery Charger for inReach SE... on 05/27/2014 19:46:56 MDT Print View

Accidentally, I forgot to turn off the SE after its last use. Its battery went all the way down to 0% over a couple of weeks of neglect. This was an opportunity to see what the Miller ML102 with a fully charged Panasonic NCR18650A (nominally, a 3100 mAh Li ion cell) could do. In about three hours it got the SE up to 70%; the 18650 was down to 3.25V, and the SE did not charge further. Swapping in a fresh 18650 got it up to 98% in two hours (the 18650 was then at 3.78 V -- still plenty of juice left). Ninety-eight percent seems to be the new one hundred percent. Perhaps deep discharge cycles are not good for the internal SE battery.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Portable battery Charger for inReach SE on 05/28/2014 00:11:05 MDT Print View

That's similar to the results I got with the Miller charger (posted earlier in this thread).

My Miller power supply was able to boost my inReach from 12% to 94%, so 82% increase in charge. I was using a 3400 mAh battery so that's probably most of the difference. Temperature, length/quality of the cable and the fact that you actually started at zero charge may have had an impact on your charging performance.

The fact that the Miller has to drive the voltage to 5V (USB) also reduces it's efficiency. I believe they claim an 85% efficiency so 15% of your 18650 capacity is lost to the charger.

cody yochum
(uclacody0908) - F

Locale: Nor Cal
miller ml102 version? on 05/28/2014 12:19:34 MDT Print View

What version of the charger are you using? Does one 18650 give you one recharge only on most devices?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: miller ml102 version? on 05/28/2014 12:53:26 MDT Print View

"Does one 18650 give you one recharge only on most devices?"

That depends on the mAh of the devices. You've got 3400 mAh (minus inefficiencies) to work with.

Got two devices that needs a 1500 mAh charge? No problem.
Got one device that will need 1500 mAh 3 times? Ain't gonna happen.

(Real numbers will get better responses than hypotheticals. What do you have?)

Edited by greg23 on 05/28/2014 12:59:11 MDT.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: miller ml102 version? on 05/28/2014 14:20:24 MDT Print View

"What version of the charger are you using?"

I've got the ML102 which gets power through a USB micro-B socket in its side. It provides power from a USB A socket in one end. An earlier model has mini-B instead. Micro-B is better since mini-B is just about obsolete. Most gadgets, except for Apple, use micro-B. Tip adapters, however, are available and weigh almost nothing. I prefer to carry just one 12" cable.

I use the ML102 with a Panasonic 3100 mAh 18650 cell (the 3400 mAh model was unavailable when I ordered). I also use it to recharge an iPod Touch 5G, mostly, and, sometimes, a Bad Elf GPS. Both of these have much smaller capacity than my 18650s. When in doubt, bring extra. They weigh 45 g apiece.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

98%, the New 100%? on 05/31/2014 19:16:04 MDT Print View

After an accidental deep discharge to 0% I reported being able only to get the SE up to 98%. Then I put it away for a couple of days. Apparently it used this time to to meditate and rethink itself. When I turned the SE on again this morning it cheerfully reported a 100% charge. I used it in the field today for seven hours, then recharged it. In less than forty minutes the SE reported 100%.

Is it healed, or is it just teasing me? (Or should I just stop paying it so much attention?)

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: 98%, the New 100%? on 05/31/2014 20:06:02 MDT Print View

That's interesting - I have never fully discharged mine, but after about 10 trips, including an 18-day outing, mine will not at all charge past 96-98%.

As a matter of fact, it started maxing out at upper 90%'s after just a few re-charges.

I am recharging from the wall each and every time

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Re: 98%, the New 100%? on 05/31/2014 20:13:21 MDT Print View

Jen, I think the explanation is that each SE is a unique and precious little snowflake. Nothing else accounts for all the data.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

98%, the New 100%? on 05/31/2014 20:17:25 MDT Print View

I try not to get too concerned about the 100% mark. I believe I read somewhere that from 70%-100% drains the battery more than the first 60%-70%. I'm not sure if that's true or if it's just a case of the last little bit of charge to bring it up to 100% is often done when the battery is mostly depleted (by the initial part of the charge). In the field, I tend to only top my devices up when they get down fairly low and then I only charge them up enough to run for a day or two.

My cable of choice came from FastTech.com. It's a combo cable with mini USB (for the inReach SE) and the 30 pin iPhone 4 connector on the same cable. The cable is 8 inches long and weighs 10 grams (.35 oz) and only cost me $1.40 (and no shipping or service charges!)

Combo Cable

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Not all USB are outlets equal... on 05/31/2014 20:24:59 MDT Print View

>> I am recharging from the wall each and every time <<

Jen - USB output is quite a variable beast in the industry. The voltage is standard at 5V but the amperage can be all over the place. Wall chargers tend to be higher output amperage than the USB built into computers (although newer computers will be good) but that's not always the case. Check your wall charger and make sure it has at least a 1 amp USB output. If not, it might explain the difficulty you are having reaching 100% top-up because the inReach requires that. My wall plug USB converter pushes my inReach to 100% every time (it's a 1 amp USB).

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: Not all USB are outlets equal... on 05/31/2014 20:52:29 MDT Print View

well...

I guess what I mean is that I'm using the supplied USB cable and plug-thingy that came with the inreach, and even from my wall socket at home I haven't been able to get it to 100%. I just assumed the percentage was a ballpark anyway (like your blood oxygen concentration....it's all good if you're between 96-100%)

But to read this thread makes me wonder.........

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Not all USB are outlets equal... on 05/31/2014 20:56:58 MDT Print View

"But to read this thread makes me wonder........."

You have what your have...

Just because the MRI shows a bulging disk, doesn't mean you have a problem.... ya know?

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: Re: Re: Not all USB are outlets equal... on 06/01/2014 09:16:07 MDT Print View

HA! Good one Greg.....

So I will wonder no more. It works very well.

Now, all I need is a field charger. Can someone please tell me the most efficient, lightest, most bomber, best acting, fastest charger available? It needs to work in -50* temps in the arctic as well as 120* in Big Bend in the height of summer.

Thanks!

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Not all USB are outlets equal... on 06/01/2014 10:57:08 MDT Print View

"Now, all I need is a field charger. Can someone please tell me the most efficient, lightest, most bomber, best acting, fastest charger available? It needs to work in -50* temps in the arctic as well as 120* in Big Bend in the height of summer."

Jen, temperature extremes are not good for any chemical electric storage cells, including the ones in your SE. However, the various Lithium based cells are best in that regard, and that includes both the one-shot Li cells and the Li-ion rechargeables. If you look above in this thread you will see discussion of both types. The weights and electrical capacities of those discussed are almost the same, which is to say about 3 oz. and 12 Wh. For long times out, take more cells, which are fairly light. Three Li AAs or one honking 18650 weigh about 45 g and give you another 12 Wh +/-. In very cold environments the apparent capacity of batteries declines along with other aspects of their performance. At temperatures up to 120ºF you could expect good performance.

I have been personally using both the Energizer 3AA charger and the ML102 (with an 18650 Li-ion cell). So far, so good. At -50ºF it will be best to keep any electronics close to your body, assuming you're still alive. Similarly, when the air is 120ºF, keeping electronics out of direct solar gain is a good idea.