Forum Index » GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April

Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Plans Not for Mid-March, but March 25 on 03/17/2014 12:17:12 MDT Print View

"This is hard to misinterpret."

I agree. Not sure what your point is, though. Everything I said in my post above yours is correct as well. It all depends on the plan.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Locale: New Uraniborg CO
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Plans Not for Mid-March, but March 25 on 03/17/2014 12:22:44 MDT Print View

Everything Doug says is true. Well, everything in his previous note.

I, too, have the Recreation Plan, and I will downgrade to the Safety Plan on the stroke of March 25. Just talked to Scott at DeLorme Support and found that one need not wait forever on telephone hold to do this. You can email Support with your subscription order.

For those of us who like and use Preset Messages, it would be good to have more than three available. I asked Scott to regard this as a formal user suggestion. (I am very formal) He seemed to be making a note of it. It only takes two digital bits of information to specify which of three Preset Messages (even four!) you want via Ir sat system. The dispatch of a Preset Message takes place on the Intertubes and SMS, where the marginal cost is just about zero. To specify eight Presets only takes one bit more. How about it DeLorme? Just a tiny little bit more!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Plans Not for Mid-March, but March 25 on 03/17/2014 12:22:49 MDT Print View

""This is hard to misinterpret.""

Ah, I see you're talking about the Safety Plan specifically. The chart on one page differs from the chart on the other. 'Tis a tad confusing for that plan.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Plans Not for Mid-March, but March 25 on 03/17/2014 12:37:25 MDT Print View

"Ah, I see you're talking about the Safety Plan specifically. The chart on one page differs from the chart on the other. 'Tis a tad confusing for that plan."

I think that is part of the problem. Delorme writes stuff as if they know exactly what they mean, but that doesn't mean that the reader will understand the contradictions and confusions and changes.

Basically, I think we users are all trying to get the most service for our service dollar. To do that, you really need to know what the service rules are.

OTOH, Delorme is probably in the business of giving the most perceived service for the least amount of Iridium time. Since preset messages can transfer very quickly, they might be wanting to promote that.

--B.G.--

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Plans Not for Mid-March, but March 25 on 03/17/2014 12:40:56 MDT Print View

BG, I think grumpiness is getting in the way of reading comprehension. Wait! It's Rex who's grumpy.

Never mind.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Recharging inReach SE with Energizer PP-3AAMC on 03/19/2014 09:37:35 MDT Print View

I'm planning an 8-day trip without resupply, which is a few days longer than the internal battery on an inReach SE will last.

So I bought an Energizer Instant Charger PP-3AAMC, currently on sale at Best Buy for $10. $10 is not much more than the retail price of the three Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries included with the charger. The charger with batteries is 89 grams on my scale.

I ran down the inReach SE internal battery to 0%, turned on the charger (a blue LED lights up), plugged the charger into the inReach SE, and waited.

You can push the on/off button on the inReach SE to see charge level and "Time to 100%" if the inReach SE is turned off.

Here's what I saw:

Start - 0% charge, Time to 100%: 212 minutes

1 hour later - 44% charge, Time to 100%: 500 minutes

2 hours later - 44% charge, Time to 100%: 0 minutes

10 hours later - 49% charge. Blue LED on the charger is off.
When I pressed the power button on the charger, the blue LED came back on, and the inReach SE showed it was charging again.

My conclusions:

- Most of the charging happened in the first hour.

- The "Time to 100%" report is unreliable.

- You can get about 49% charge of the inReach SE out of one set of three Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries (44 grams total) using this charger. Since I get about 5 days use from a 100% charged inReach SE, one set of batteries will add about 2-3 days.

I was hoping to get a full charge out of three batteries, which have a combined capacity of almost 9000 milliamp-hours. Either the inReach SE has a much bigger battery (and takes more power) than I expected, or the charger is very inefficient.

Not sure I can get 8 days with a fully charged inReach SE, charger, and one set of AA batteries.

Time to experiment with reducing power usage on the inReach SE to extend battery life.

-- Rex

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Recharging inReach SE with Energizer PP-3AAMC on 03/19/2014 10:42:15 MDT Print View

Interesting results, Rex. However, running the SE's battery down to zero is probably not good for it. Have you tried recharging normally since the Energizer experiment?

In the field, I would advise topping up the SE's battery nightly, a gentler approach.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Recharging inReach SE with Energizer PP-3AAMC on 03/19/2014 14:05:38 MDT Print View

Is it necessary to run the inReach SE day and night continuously? It seems that you could easily stretch the battery life by two by simply switching it off when you make camp in the evening and switching it back on in the morning.

I'm thinking that a 4-cell recharger would work more predictably than a 3-cell recharger.

--B.G.--

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Re: Re: Recharging inReach SE with Energizer PP-3AAMC on 03/20/2014 23:01:46 MDT Print View

Jim writes:
However, running the SE's battery down to zero is probably not good for it. Have you tried recharging normally since the Energizer experiment?

The inReach SE never got all the way to 0% in real life. The unit shuts itself off at some minimum charge; you can power on, and after booting, it says it doesn't have very much charge left and shut itself down again. That tells me there is still some charge left in the battery. Lithium polymer batteries do OK will full discharge cycles, but I wouldn't leave it fully discharged for extended periods. I keep mine on the charger between trips.

I've recharged normally since the experiment, but don't have any experience with battery life since then.

In the field, I would advise topping up the SE's battery nightly, a gentler approach.

You are probably right, but I worry about not knowing how much juice I have left in the Energizer charger.

--B.G.-- writes:
Is it necessary to run the inReach SE day and night continuously? It seems that you could easily stretch the battery life by two by simply switching it off when you make camp in the evening and switching it back on in the morning.

Turning off the inReach SE at night will stretch battery life, but not by a factor of two. The unit goes to sleep after detecting no movement for 4 hours or 100 meters, and a power-on boot cycle seems to use about 1% of charge. Lots of settings and practices to play with to extend battery life: Bluetooth off, extended tracking interval (or no tracking), reduced screen brightness, sounds off, good sky view, turning the unit off at night, etc.

-- Rex

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Recharging inReach SE with Energizer PP-3AAMC on 03/20/2014 23:21:13 MDT Print View

Rex, by turning it off at night, you would be shutting down the GPS receiver plus the "incoming text message checker" so that nobody can send you anything in the middle of the night.

I figure that I'm not going to do anything about it during the middle of the night, anyway, so I might as well shut it down. I would probably sleep better that way.

Incidentally, it seems as though Best Buy was sold out by the time I got there. I may just craft up my own charger out of an old micro USB connector and batteries. Maybe I could past a Duracell sticker on the outside for good measure.

--B.G.--

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Recharging inReach SE with Energizer PP-3AAMC on 03/21/2014 00:06:11 MDT Print View

Incidentally, it seems as though Best Buy was sold out by the time I got there.

I got the same runaround at my local Best Buy, including a claim that the product had been discontinued. Reminded me of the stellar service I experienced at Circuit City.

I used the same solution: I drove home and ordered it through their web site, received it two days later. Still available on bestbuy.com.

However, looks like Energizer truly has dropped the PP-3AAMC, and they don't have a similar product available. Get em while you can. The Best Buy price, even with shipping, is half of other sources I found.

-- Rex

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Recharging inReach SE with Energizer PP-3AAMC on 03/21/2014 13:27:43 MDT Print View

"Reminded me of the stellar service I experienced at Circuit City."

When I walked into the Best Buy store, I had a sheet in my hands with the charger information, SKU number, photo, etc. I halted about ten feet inside the doorway and stared up at the huge room, looking for Energizer signs or something.

There was a small cluster of twenty-something employees chit-chatting at a nearby counter. They ignored me. So, I stood there scanning back and forth across the room. Nobody blinked. I took a couple of steps their way and then halted again. Still, they were too busy to help a customer.

I wandered up and down the aisles until I found Engergizer everything else. There were none of these chargers. Oh, well.

Yes, the online ordering works.

I will return to the Best Buy store in two months and see how many of the twenty-somethings are still employed.

--B.G.--

William Wang
(billwang) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Recharging inReach SE with Energizer PP-3AAMC on 03/21/2014 14:16:31 MDT Print View

I just ordered a few from Bestbuy.com. Now I'm hoping they'll work! I have a new Delorme SE that i've not yet activated since I'm waiting for the new monthly plan to so some testing. - Bill

Jeff McWilliams
(jjmcwill) - M

Locale: Midwest
Facebook updates on 03/22/2014 19:26:21 MDT Print View

Can you send updates to Facebook with the InReach?

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Yes on 03/22/2014 21:47:09 MDT Print View

Yes, Facebook, Twitter and MapShare.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Extending inReach SE battery life on 03/25/2014 00:32:13 MDT Print View

I wrote:
I'm planning an 8-day trip without resupply, which is a few days longer than the internal battery on an inReach SE will last.

My previous multi-day tests were on a long road trip, where the inReach was in the back of my truck, with most features turned on for maximum battery consumption. I got about 5 days per charge.

Sunday, I ran a different test, trying to extend battery life.

I went through all the settings to maximize battery life, except Tracking:
- Bluetooth: Off
- Message check interval: 20 minutes
- Ring until message is read: Off
- Tracking: 10 minutes (max battery life would be Off or 4 hours)
- Display brightness: 10%
This brightness is unusable in daylight, even in the shade. I turned brightness up and down each time I used it.
- Display timer: 15 seconds
- Sounds - Mute All: On

I sent two Preset messages, and one custom message that took 10 minutes of cursoring/cursing to enter ~90 characters.

After 11.5 hours of use (2.5 hours driving, 9 hours hiking), battery life was at 89%, starting from 100%. The driving and hiking were on roads and trails with pretty good exposure to the sky.

Extrapolating linearly indicates roughly 9 days of battery life.

Most of my days will be shorter than 11.5 hours on my planned 8 day trip, so I should be OK without a charger. I plan to turn off the inReach SE at camp each evening; and turn it back just as I start hiking the next day.

Note that realistic testing is challenging, because you must keep moving to keep the inReach SE awake.

Make sense?

-- Rex

Edited by Rex on 03/25/2014 00:38:37 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Extending inReach SE battery life on 03/25/2014 01:15:52 MDT Print View

All we need now is an easy method to order from Amazon.com using inReach SE.

--B.G.--

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Portable battery Charger for inReach SE... on 03/25/2014 17:49:43 MDT Print View

I picked up a USB battery charger/power supply recently (the link below was posted by another BPL member in a different thread) and I did a test charge with this unit and my inReach SE. I was able to boost my inReach SE from 12% to 94% with one 18650 Lithium rechargeable battery. Not too bad!

Total weight of the battery and power supply is 2.8 oz, so pretty light for that much power reserve (charger is 1.2 oz and one 18650 is 1.6 oz).

Total cost was $22 but that included two 18650 batteries (and delivery is free). The batteries are top of the line Panasonic cells in a generic wrapper. Somebody on Candle Power Forum ripped them apart and confirmed that they are indeed Panasonic cells and they evaluated them very highly (his evaluation included all sorts of discharge graphs etc).

Upon receiving my charger, I was very pleased to discover that the mini USB on the unit is the same as the mini USB that came with my inReach, so the cable works with the unit.

USB Smart Charger/ Power Supply for 18650 Battery - $6

Panasonic 3400 mAh (3.7 V) - 18650 Batteries - $16 (for 2 batteries)

If you are thinking about buying this unit, it's important to know that the batteries have to be non-protected cells. The protected version of this battery won't fit in this charger/power supply. Not really and issue as the unit is protected to prevent over charge and over discharge of the unprotected batteries.

I've also test charged my iPhone with this power supply and the charge took my iPhone from 20% to 100% and the 18650 battery still has a fair bit of charge left (after charging my iPhone, I put the battery in my Zebralight headlight and tested the battery... it gave two flashes (out of a possible four flashes for a fully charged battery). I'll test it tonight to see how much the remaining charge will boost my iPhone.

Edited by skopeo on 03/25/2014 17:51:50 MDT.

William Wang
(billwang) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Energizer 3xAA lithium results on 03/26/2014 19:12:58 MDT Print View

I just tested the Energizer 3xAA lithium charger that I received from Best Buy. I started at 58% on the Delorme SE and the charger only boosted the Delorme to 63%! I think there voltage may be wrong or something. Using the Zebralight test, all three AA lithium cells show "4 flashes" after the charging of the Delorme (which I left on for 4 hours). Oh well, at least I have three nearly new lithium cells for $10.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Energizer 3xAA lithium results on 03/26/2014 22:52:38 MDT Print View

Each Energizer lithium AA cell has an open circuit voltage of about 1.7V. So, three in series will get you about 5.1V, and that is also what I measured on mine. The trick with lithium primary cells is that they will maintain that open circuit voltage fairly well until they are almost ready to die. So, you could possibly have three used cells that give you almost 5.1V, but they can't supply quite all of the amperage that you might be demanding with some devices.

--B.G.--