DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
Display Avatars Sort By:
Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
New Annual Plans on 02/22/2014 07:59:57 MST Print View

I just got an Inreach SE and need to activate it in the next couple of weeks. It looks like the new $12 Safety Plan with unlimited predefined messages and $.50 overage is the one I want. Does anyone know what will happen with existing Annual Plans when the new plans roll out next month? I asked Delorme by email and they basically just repeated what's on the website: Seasonal Plans will turn into Freedom Plans. Still unclear about Annual Plans.

Edit: Here's what I got from Delorme when I asked for clarification:
"Actually with the Annual Safety Plan in place before the roll out of the Freedom Plans you would be grandfathered in and keep the price you were paying before the roll out of the Freedom Plan."
I've asked for a re-clarification as to whether I'll also be grandfathered in to the old features of the Annual Safety Plan.

Edit 2:
Looks like existing Annual Plans will turn into the new Annual Plans, but at the OLD PRICE!
"Even with the current plan you would still have unlimited preset messages just as the plans going forward. Those messages are ones that you compose and save to the SE before you leave for your trip, you are able to send those as frequently as you would like or need. The Freedom Plans are scheduled to be active by mid March until that time you would need to choose a plan that fits your needs for your trip. I cannot guarantee that the plans will be ready for your trip. Once you have a plan in place it is a very simple matter to make a change to your account and swap you to another plan. All of our seasonal plan will automatically be placed into Freedom Plans. I do not have a plan that will automatically swap you over to the Freedom Plan with the Safety Plan already in place. You will still get all of the benefits of the Freedom Plan when it becomes active, it is just your cost that would remain the same. "

Edited by WillWeb on 02/25/2014 09:51:42 MST.

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Syncing on 03/01/2014 13:52:49 MST Print View

Mine was doing fine syncing new contact information, but now seems to be not working...I'm on Apple and it says the safari can't use the link because the "address is not valid" now.
Hmmm, guess I will try again tomorrow.. So far everything else is working great! I've been able to use the InReach while hiking even in heavy cloud cover. Messages are very fast.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Syncing on 03/01/2014 15:25:12 MST Print View

Same here Drusilla. I updated the inReach SE a couple of days ago, and now syncing is broken! :-(

And I was trying to update messages before my trip tomorrow, but it ain't gonna happen. I hate it when updates break stuff!

Edit to add: I'm also on a Mac.

Edited by idester on 03/01/2014 15:25:43 MST.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Locale: New Uraniborg CO
Re: Re: Syncing on 03/01/2014 18:16:20 MST Print View

If your sync on the Mac problem is the same as mine was, the fix below may help. With the update, synching is much better. You can see my Mac error message at the bottom.

Casey A. via sendgrid.info
Feb 19 (10 days ago)

to me

Hello Jim,

I apologize for the delay in response to your email. To correct this behavior you must delete the file it is referencing, however this is a hidden file. To access hidden files please follow the instructions below.

To view hidden folders:
Open the Terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities/)
At the command prompt type defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true
Press return to execute the command.
For the changes to take effect, either log out then log back in again, or relaunch Finder (this can be done from the Force Quit Window or by typing 'killall Finder' in a Terminal window).
Once you have enabled hidden folders to be viewed, browse to the file location referenced in the error you received and delete the file. This should allow you to Sync the device now without issue. Please let me know if you have any further trouble.

Regards,

Casey A
DeLorme Customer Care
Phone: (800) 511-2459 or Internationally at (207) 847-1165
Many answers can be found at our on-line knowledge base within the link below.
http://support.delorme.com
Was this message helpful? Yes It was OK No

On Thur, 13th Feb 2014 at 5:11 pm, Jim Milstein <6wayxing@gmail.com> wrote:
I saw that an update for the SE is available. Your site said I needed to install a new inReach Sync , which I did, and now I get this error message:

Error launching inReach Sync:
Unrecognized element: userSettings (/Users/6wayxing/.local/share/inReach Sync.exe_Url_50c81f98e9eb1a9c52a83b1d3d25f899835f665e/user.config line 6)

I have downloaded the inReach Syn pkg twice and installed it, with the same result.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Syncing on 03/01/2014 19:33:53 MST Print View

Thanks Jim, I found the same fix earlier. Instead of mucking about in Terminal I downloaded a program called InVisible which allows you to turn on/off showing hidden files from a menu in the top menu bar. Works like a charm, and resets the Finder for you.

After deleting the file I've not had any problems synching the SE.

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Thanks guys on 03/03/2014 06:47:17 MST Print View

Thanks guys.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Old Plans to Be Grandfathered w/o New Plan Terms on 03/04/2014 10:58:12 MST Print View

I just spoke to John at DeLorme Customer Support and he said that the old annual plans would be honored at the old rates and with their old terms. So, if you have the Safety Plan at $9.95/mo, it would continue at that rate, but you would not get unlimited Preset Messages. I love Preset Messages; therefore, I'm going to switch from the Recreation Plan (which has unlimited Preset Messages) to the new Safety Plan (which will have unlimited Preset Messages), as soon as it becomes available.

DeLorme does not know exactly when the new plans will be available, beyond saying "mid-March". When they are available, DeLorme will be coy about announcing their availability in order to work out the bugs, John said. Perhaps they have taken a lesson from the woes of the Obamacare Exchange web sites.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

New Plans Not for Mid-March, but March 25 on 03/16/2014 20:09:10 MDT Print View

Just saw it on the Delorme web site.

The new terms for the Safety Plan make it very useful. The plan provides unlimited Preset Messages. Too bad they only allow three different ones; how about seven? Tracking points or pings are a dime each. Ten free-form messages in or out per month are included, additional messages half a buck.

Sign me up!

Edited by JimSubzero on 03/16/2014 20:10:43 MDT.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Re: Re: Re: Syncing on 03/16/2014 20:26:45 MDT Print View

Error launching inReach Sync:
Unrecognized element: userSettings (/Users/6wayxing/.local/share/inReach Sync.exe_Url_50c81f98e9eb1a9c52a83b1d3d25f899835f665e/user.config line 6)

I recalled Jim's post after encountering the same problem. I figured out a different fix.

I found the file using Terminal and this command line:

open '/Users/rex/.local/share/inReach Sync.exe_Url_50c81f98e9eb1a9c52a83b1d3d25f234135f665e/user.config'

(Copy and paste the line from your error message, everyone's is unique)

For most people, this will open 'user.config' in TextEdit. It's a small XML file.

Removed line 6:

<userSettings />

and save the file.

I used TextWrangler (free download), but TextEdit works too.

The "Unrecognized element" bug means someone at DeLorme can't program their way out of a paper bag. The whole point of using XML is to be able to ignore unrecognized elements. Sheesh!

Just took another look at user.config post-sync: that same line 6 is back again.

So I tried syncing, same old error message shows up.

This seems to be a recurring bug. Be prepared to remove or edit that file for each sync until DeLorme fixes the problem.

Shortcut to remove the file instead of edit: Open Terminal, use copy and paste (or very careful typing), to do this:

rm '/Users/rex/.local/share/inReach Sync.exe_Url_50c81f98e9eb1a9c52a83b1d3d25f234135f665e/user.config'

-- Rex

Edited by Rex on 03/16/2014 20:28:15 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Syncing - Rex on 03/16/2014 20:37:42 MDT Print View

Rex,

Try just deleting the file instead of trying to edit it. I was able to sync mine after doing so, then went on a trip and put the SE back in a drawer when I got back. After reading your post, tried syncing just now to see if I'd have the problem reoccur, and it did not. It synched without issue.

So perhaps deleting the file takes care of the problem.

Doug

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Syncing - Rex on 03/16/2014 20:42:45 MDT Print View

Doug,

Right you are. I was trying too hard, just removing the file enables future syncs to go smoothly.

Grumble.

-- Rex

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Syncing on 03/16/2014 21:31:56 MDT Print View

Grumble, grumble.

I not make the inreach sync work at all on Day One or Day Two.

On Day Two, I had it very deep in a redwood forest with very high canopy and very thick. I really could not see much sky. Needless to say, inreach could not get a GPS fix. That didn't surprise me too much. I don't think any normal GPS receiver would have worked in the same place. To get out from under the canopy, it would have been a couple of miles of hoofing it, so it was a good thing that I didn't need to send SOS or call in an air strike.

We will see what Delorme tech support has to say about the sync issue.

--B.G.--

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: New Plans Not for Mid-March, but March 25 on 03/16/2014 21:36:10 MDT Print View

"The new terms for the Safety Plan make it very useful. The plan provides unlimited Preset Messages."

Jim, how do you interpret those words?

One way would mean that you can send a thousand messages per month if they are all preset messages.

Another way would mean that you still get only ten free messages per month, and the ten can be either free-form or preset.

--B.G.--

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: DeLorme inReach SE on 03/17/2014 00:07:55 MDT Print View

For what it's worth, I sent a first test message to Delorme. It got the message immediately and responded.

On their web site, I looked at the map to see where it determined my position to be (in the lawn outside my place), and their arrow marked the spot. I estimated that my true position was about one meter to the west. I guess that is close enough for search and rescue purposes.

--B.G.--

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April on 03/17/2014 01:26:16 MDT Print View

>> I don't think any normal GPS receiver would have worked in the same place. <<

I've used my Garmin (Etrex 20) to try to confirm the accuracy of the tracks on my inReach and would agree... they are equally inaccurate :)

Edit: Bob, I'm glad to hear you have an inReach, I'll be interested to hear your comments long-term. (I'm still liking mine!)

Edited by skopeo on 03/17/2014 01:27:48 MDT.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Re: New Plans Not for Mid-March, but March 25 on 03/17/2014 09:35:52 MDT Print View

"Jim, how do you interpret those words?

One way would mean that you can send a thousand messages per month if they are all preset messages.

Another way would mean that you still get only ten free messages per month, and the ten can be either free-form or preset."

Your second interpretation is the current policy. The first interpretation is the new policy. Since I send almost exclusively Preset Messages, the new policy pleases me. With the new policy, Presets function as free manual tracking points.

Dropping the cost of free-form messages (in or out) from $1.50 to $0.50 also pleases me. These changes are well worth the two dollar a month increase.

Earthmate is nearly useless except for composing messages. DeLorme should start over with Earthmate. Same goes for their Explore and Share web pages. Otherwise, I love having and using the SE.

Regarding satellite communication under adverse conditions, I am surprised that the SE, deep inside my vehicle and inside my pack, gets good GPS position and can also communicate with the Ir satellites. In Colorado we just do not have forest canopies like the west coast, and besides all our old sub-alpine spruce forests are dead or dying! (I blame the Texans. Just as when something goes wrong with your computer the first thing you do is reboot, in Colorado when something goes wrong we blame the Texans.)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: New Plans Not for Mid-March, but March 25 on 03/17/2014 09:58:38 MDT Print View

"Regarding satellite communication under adverse conditions, I am surprised that the SE, deep inside my vehicle and inside my pack, gets good GPS position and can also communicate with the Ir satellites."

I've been impressed as well. While snowshoeing on Lake Superior during a snow storm - completely cloud covered sky and snowing hard enough to limit our sight to about 100 yards, the SE kept on sending signals and receiving text messages. Sent and received text messages that night from inside my shelter (Ultamid, not an aluminized cuben version.... :-), and it tracked me well through the forest we snowshoed in the next day on top of the cliffs. I've been quite impressed so far.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: New Plans Not for Mid-March, but March 25 on 03/17/2014 10:57:34 MDT Print View

"Your second interpretation is the current policy. The first interpretation is the new policy."

Jim, I think that you want to get confirmation of that.

--B.G.--

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Plans Not for Mid-March, but March 25 on 03/17/2014 11:52:29 MDT Print View

"Jim, I think that you want to get confirmation of that."

No need, really. And it's not really new policy depending on the plan you have.

I have the recreation plan, which means I get 40 text (free-form) messages per month, and unlimited free preset messages. The preset messages are not counted against my 40 regular messages. They're even divided out on my monthly summary on explore.delorme.com, so I see how many of each I've used.

A couple of points to remember - you can't edit preset messages on the device in the field (nor through the Earthmate app), nor can you change who the preset messages are sent to in the field. The preset messages, including who they are sent to, must be set up/typed on your computer and synched to your device. Currently, you can only change them, including the address field, on your computer.

You can send a preset message to a bunch of people (I don't know if there's a limit to the address list), and it still only counts as one preset message (though with unlimited messages it doesn't really matter, I guess).

If someone responds to you from a preset message, that goes against your free form message allotment (both incoming and outgoing free form messages count against your allotment).

Tracking information is sent with each preset message, and it doesn't count against your tracking allotment (if you don't have a plan with unlimited tracks).

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Plans Not for Mid-March, but March 25 on 03/17/2014 12:14:41 MDT Print View

from Delorme

This is hard to misinterpret.

--B.G.--