Forum Index » GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SE Deals on 01/06/2014 23:38:20 MST Print View

"Buy now, turn on the meter later. You activate through https://explore.delorme.com when you are ready."

Too bad you can't purchase one pre-activated like a disposable cell phone.

--B.G.--

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Label with soft reset instructions on 01/07/2014 00:11:36 MST Print View

Reset label on DeLorme inReach SE

Just barely fits using a Brother P-touch labeler, Small text setting, and some abbreviation.

-- Rex

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: Re: SOS Coords on 01/07/2014 00:14:24 MST Print View

You have to have a map with that specific piece of the grid system marked on it to have the slightest idea of the place where the coords refer.

Ah, you must have run across abbreviated coordinates. A full UTM or MGRS coordinate is relatively easy to place on the globe: the first part identifies one of 60 longitudinal zones (6 degrees wide) counting east from the IDL, and 20 zones between the polar regions (8 degrees tall; -80 to +84 degrees)*.

E.g. London sits at the eastern edge of zone 30U (fairly far North; only the very northernmost bits of the continental U.S. reach the U band). Most of the U.S. is largely in the S and T bands, which coincidentally divide very close to the Mason-Dixon line.

Another example is "11S 384409 4048901" for Mount Whitney: 11S says Nevada or SoCal, the northing says ~4049 klicks north of the equator, and the easting says about 115 km east of the zone center ().

*Yes, there are small quirks designed to ease use/reduce chance of error: no zones I or O, and an extra 4 degrees to zone X.

Edited by requiem on 01/07/2014 00:58:01 MST.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
inReach SE... on 01/07/2014 00:54:34 MST Print View

>> It goes against my nature to pay somebody $4 per month for nothing. <<

The $4 per month gets you your own web map, online storage of all your contacts, pre-composed messages, downloadable tracks and way-points and saves you paying the activation fee (if you cancel and then re-activate).

However, if none of that interests you then maybe you should stick with a PLB. There's no free ride.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Locale: New Uraniborg CO
Opacity vs Transparency of Coords on 01/07/2014 11:05:46 MST Print View

"Ah, you must have run across abbreviated coordinates ... "

I believe you made my case by describing the mental arithmetic and things you have to remember to get back to the almost universally familiar Lat/Long system. We talk about "high latitudes" not Zone U, &c.

Yes, if the ancient Grecians (as someone, I forget who, would have it) had invented UTM, things would be different, and we would be griping about the new-fangled Lat/Long system. How stupid! A degree of Longitude changes as you move north or south! And Latitude too, but not as much!

Personally, I prefer decimal degrees because base sixty arithmetic is harder than decimal arithmetic. But, strangely, for time I go with hours, minutes, and seconds, just like everyone else.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Re: inReach SE on 01/07/2014 11:20:07 MST Print View

["Once the message is sent, the unit's tracking is locked on (you can't turn it off)."

Yes, but you can sure as hell kill the tracking signal from getting out. Stick it inside a cook pot with the lid on.]

Bob, you're just being irritable. The message in question is an SOS. Why would anyone, even you, want to stifle tracking when they want rescuing?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: inReach SE on 01/07/2014 12:47:56 MST Print View

I realize that it would be difficult to push the button by accident. However, if a hiking partner grabbed it and pushed the button to play an awful joke, I would want to know how to shut it off.

--B.G.--

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: inReach SE... on 01/07/2014 13:17:42 MST Print View

"However, if none of that interests you then maybe you should stick with a PLB."

I'm not aware that a PLB can do two-way text messages.

It is easier to store waypoints on a GPS receiver, then transfer those to any map once home again.

--B.G.--

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

DeLorme inReach SE on 01/07/2014 13:48:30 MST Print View

>> It is easier to store waypoints on a GPS receiver, then transfer those to any map once home again <<

Ahhh, but that would mean you'd have to carry a GPS receiver! I can leave the extra weight (of the GPS) behind and I don't even have to plug my inReach into my computer to get the coordinates... I just click download and they are ready to go!

And if a buddy of mine hit the SOS button as a gag, it wouldn't be a false alarm... I'd make sure he needed assistance to get out... :)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: DeLorme inReach SE on 01/07/2014 14:02:58 MST Print View

Mike, I carry a tiny GPS receiver since I don't carry a smart phone. Besides, for the Inreach or for a GPS receiver, I would expect to power it up once per day or less.

I really don't see the sense in having all of these multiple electronic gadgets running all of the time and using battery power.

I'm out there to commune with nature, not to increase my Facebook likes.

--B.G.--

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Review on "Field & Stream" on 01/21/2014 00:09:59 MST Print View

Pretty good review of the DeLorme inReach SE on "Field & Stream" http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/flytalk/2014/01/gear-review-delorme-inreach-se-2-way-satellite-communicator-gps

I was deeply impressed by how inReach performed.

It's dustproof and waterproof to 1 meter (I actually dunked in in the river and let it soak for several minutes to test this).

I had a strong signal every time I tried the device, wherever I was.

Yet, for the sake of safety, peace of mind for you and others, and knowing you can reach out if and when you want to, wherever you are in the world, the inReach SE is well worth the money and I highly recommend it.

-- Rex

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Been Using the SE Several Times a Week Lately on 02/12/2014 20:11:56 MST Print View

I go on lots of solo backcountry ski outings in the high Rockies. My main item of safety gear is a brain experienced in these matters. This brain is backed up by the SE. After eight months of use, I have a good working relationship with the device. Setting out, I send a Preset message to some friends and relations who care about me, which says I'm setting out. On return, I send the second Preset message to the same people, which says I've returned. If I decide to do something about which I have any significant doubt (this is pretty rare), I send the third Preset message, which says I'm about to do something "interesting". All inReach messages automatically include geo-coords. If any of my minders question my welfare, they can ping me or send me a message. So far, this hasn't been necessary. They confirm, though, that they are getting all the messages I send.

Usually I turn on tracking. For a while, I was not using the tracking function, and I noticed that the times shown for the messages sent had the day of week and time of day but not the date. Then, when I sent a tracking point, the complete time information suddenly appeared for all the messages. Weird software glitch.

I have also been pairing the SE with an iPod Touch for mapping. I much prefer using Gaia over DeLorme's Earthmate. I download the USGS topos and aerial photos for the region I'm in. The display is super-good. This beats paper maps all to heck. There are drawbacks, however. The iPod needs to be kept reasonably warm, so I keep it in a pants pocket when not using it. Also, it's called iPod Touch because it has a touch screen, and that requires bare and warm fingers. In very cold weather a touch screen is not so wonderful. The SE's four-way rocker and buttons can be operated with gloves on. The SE has functioned fully in sub-zero weather while tethered in an upper pouch on my backpack.

A day's skiing usually draws down the SE's battery to 94%, and that's with Bluetooth pairing. The iPod doesn't show percent battery, but normally it looks like no more than ten percent or so is used. Battery use depends mostly on how long the display is on. I keep it fully bright because there's a lot of daylight out there in the snow.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

inReach Month by Month, Coming Mid-March on 02/13/2014 15:29:07 MST Print View

Just saw this, the new "Freedom" plans:

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/freedom/index.php

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: inReach Month by Month, Coming Mid-March on 02/13/2014 15:43:04 MST Print View

James, very interesting. Is this good or bad?

--B.G.--

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Re: Re: inReach Month by Month, Coming Mid-March on 02/13/2014 20:11:59 MST Print View

Bob,

Of course it depends on your individual usage pattern.

Here is my current minimum usage (4 month commitment):

4 months of Recreational Plan (Mid May to Mid September): 4 * $39.95 = $159.80

In the future the same would cost me $24.95 + 4 * $34.95 = $164.75

So the new plan would be slightly more expensive, if you use it exactly 4 months. If you use it for 5 months you break even. If you use it for six or seven you are better off. Starting at 8 months you are better off with the annual plan anyways.

The main advantage is that you can now suspend it anytime and don't need to wait for 4 months to suspend. For example this summer my wife and I will go with our daughters on a circumnavigation of the whole US via train. I think I will suspend the plan during that time. That will right away make it cheaper for me than in the past.

Best Regards,

Manfred

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

inReach Service Plans... on 02/13/2014 21:55:25 MST Print View

That's interesting, I didn't realize that InReach USA only offered yearly plans (until now).

InReach Canada doesn't have yearly plans, only month to month. In fact, InReach Canada actually has true "Pay as You Go" plans. It's not well advertised (I had it explained to me by one of their service reps). I can move up to any plan I like, use it for a week and then suspend it and I only pay a pro-rated charge for the week that I used it, I don't have to pay the monthly fee. So I suspend mine ($4/month) when not in use and when I need it, I sign up for the Expedition Plan and suspend it right after my trip and only pay a portion of the monthly charge. Let's hope it stays that way as it makes it quite economical.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Re: Re: Re: inReach Month by Month, Coming Mid-March on 02/13/2014 21:58:33 MST Print View

The new Safety Plan has some interesting price changes:

Annual monthly cost: $11.95 was $9.95

Predefined messages - Unlimited, was $1.50 each over the bundled 10 messages

Messages $0.50 each, was $1.50 each over the bundled 10 messages

Tracking Points $0.10 each, was $0.25

Also, the old Seasonal plans have lots of rules about months, automatic reactivations, deactivation charges, and other stuff that confused and enraged customers. The new "activate when you need it" system is much simpler.

Notice the asterisks on their claims that "No Other Satellite Communicator Can Deliver This Message* - No Contract Required*".

The Yellowbrick 3 does not require a contract.

-- Rex

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

inReach Month by Month, Coming Mid-March on 02/15/2014 20:23:47 MST Print View

Just saw this, the new "Freedom" plans:

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/freedom/index.php

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: inReach Month by Month, Coming Mid-March on 02/15/2014 20:58:41 MST Print View

It's like deja vu all over again.....

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Re: inReach Month by Month, Coming Mid-March on 02/15/2014 21:04:36 MST Print View

I'm innocent!