Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Locale: New Uraniborg CO
Re: SE v 2.4 = good! on 12/19/2013 14:47:10 MST Print View

". . . looks promising."

Yes, it does, and it's taking a really long time to install. I hope it finishes before I die. Can't wait to see geo-coords directly and other stuff, like complete preset message info. I like the preset messages a lot. Back in the old days (several months ago), it was just a choice of Message 1, 2, or 3. Now you will know what you are sending and to whom.

Still installing . . .

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
DeLorme inReach SE update on 12/19/2013 15:39:42 MST Print View

I haven't installed the update yet but am really pleased to hear they have added a "current location" screen.

I took part in the recent survey that Delorme sent out and also asked them to contact me for further input. I was surprised that they actually phoned me and we had a lengthy discussion regarding my perceived issues with the device and supporting app and web pages. Many of the issues I was complaining about were "user error" on my part and they were very helpful and explained some details I wasn't aware of. The rest of the issues I mentioned were recorded as possible future enhancements. Kudos to Delorme for listening!!

Edit: Link to what's been updated

http://dmail.delorme.com/HM?a=ENX7CqkUPj-E8SA9MKJFffnnGHxKLHum-PcStGb5lw8W0bBhOG5mpqVsje_HhdDfgVEH

Edited by skopeo on 12/19/2013 15:42:01 MST.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Re: SE v 2.4 = good! on 12/19/2013 16:08:33 MST Print View

"Still installing . . ."

After waiting several years for the firmware update to complete, I aborted. Then the SE was apparently a brick. I called DeLorme Support (Scott) and got the magic chord of buttons to push to revivify my poor dead SE. It is XButton + DownArrow, and then, still holding those, CheckButton. The second try worked, though it said it didn't. It only took a few minutes, giving progress reports as it went. First attempt gave no progress reports, because there was no progress.

I'm going to verify that the SE still communicates with all those satellites, but it almost certainly will. The new changes are very welcome. I'll post if any problems arise.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

DeLorme inReach SE firmware update on 12/19/2013 21:30:30 MST Print View

Jim -

Thanks for posting the reset key sequence!! You saved me a lot of trouble by posting that. I had the same experience as you (update hung) and I was able to get it going by doing the reset. Not a good experience but thankfully, you had already broken the trail.

I tested the new coordinate display feature and it works very well. I like the fact that you can hit "send coordinates" directly from the coordinate display screen. It's a nice addition to the unit.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: DeLorme inReach SE firmware update on 12/19/2013 21:37:13 MST Print View

Is there any big downside to the firmware reset sequence?

Is there any user data that gets lost from it?

To put it another way, is there any good reason why DeLorme does not document this?

--B.G.--

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: DeLorme inReach SE firmware update on 12/19/2013 21:41:53 MST Print View

"To put it another way, is there any good reason why DeLorme does not document this?"

It is documented, in the manual, under troubleshooting (the check button is the power button).

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Re: DeLorme inReach SE firmware update on 12/19/2013 22:52:02 MST Print View

The key sequence Jim mentioned probably sets the unit back to the factory default setting but it also syncs your unit with your web account at the same time, so your settings and data are restored. There could be some data loss if you had updated something on the unit without doing a sync prior to the firmware upgrade hanging but you probably wouldn't lose much even in that instance.

As for why Delorme doesn't document the process... hard to say, but I suspect it's to prevent users from over-using the hard reset (which is always a bit of a risk). The unit has a "reset to factory default" option in the settings menu which is probably a safer bet if you can get to it. In my case (and Jim's) the unit appeared dead after the firmware upgrade hung, so I had nothing to lose by doing the hard reset.

Jim Larkey
(jimlarkey) - MLife

Locale: NoCO
inReach Hard/Soft Reset Graphic on 12/20/2013 06:58:02 MST Print View

inReach Hard/Soft Reset

https://support.delorme.com/kb/articles/14-troubleshooting-an-inreach-se

Edited by jimlarkey on 12/20/2013 08:32:31 MST.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Brief review of inReach SE on backpacker.com on 12/23/2013 09:39:03 MST Print View

http://www.backpacker.com/fall-gear-guide-2013-gear-review-delorme-inreach-se-two-way-messenger/gear/17966

Nothing new except:

We also posted dozens of social media messages; Facebook and Twitter fans were able to view our location on a map and ping us with real-time questions.

Oh. Joy.

-- Rex

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

My SE Review on This Site Is Newly Updated on 12/28/2013 20:13:01 MST Print View

It's got some stuff about use in subzero weather. Scroll down!

Also, I complain about the outdated Earthmate app and grumble about the cranky DeLorme web sites (again). I think we all should. And here's DeLorme's complaint box, if you're so inclined:

Support@delorme.com

Since they actually respond to their customers, I encourage everyone to pile on.

Joel Bach
(kneebuster) - M

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Reset sequence handy to know on the trail as well on 12/28/2013 21:15:54 MST Print View

Both reset sequences are handy to memorize. I was on a solo hike in Indian Peaks wilderness this summer and 2 miles in the inReach locked up. It was connected to my phone via Bluetooth at the time. I unfortunately didn't know the reset sequence. When I got to the camp I tried a bunch of button combinations but apparently didn't hold any of them long enough. I'm picturing my wife looking at my track and thinking I'm hurt or worse and calling in a rescue. Fortunately I forgot my small pocket knife at home. Why is that fortunate?, because I noticed before setting out on the trail and grabbed a non-ultralight multi-tool from my truck. In my tent that night, by the light of my headlamp, I did surgery on the inReach using the small philips head screwdriver on the multi-tool. I removed the back cover and disconnected the battery. When I connected it back up everything was good to go. I was able to send a message to my wife (and other emergency contacts) that I was fine. Sure, I probably voided the warranty, but I was at least 3 miles from the nearest human that night and wanted the safety net. I avoided the bluetooth connection to my phone for the rest of the trip. Once home I was able to reproduce the problem, and the subsequently discovered soft-reset sequence worked. I contacted Delorme about the problem. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem with the last 2 firmware updates.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: inReach Hard/Soft Reset Graphic on 12/28/2013 22:12:22 MST Print View

Whenever I have a piece of gear like that and then I see a critical piece of information like Jim posted, I print it all out in color, perhaps shrunken down to where it is just readable. Then I laminate it in plastic and tape it onto the backside of the gear, just so it will always be there in a crunch.

--B.G.--

Mike Gervais
(MikeG)
SE - buy at $150? on 12/28/2013 23:25:44 MST Print View

I won a 50% off coupon so could land one of these for $160 shipped.

As a guy who will be doing some solo trips (and is new and inexperienced) would that be enough to make anyone here pull the trigger on this gadget?

Seems like the most recent firmware upgrades have addressed some of the more glaring problems.

It would be a no-brainer but I've been spending a lot of $$ getting geared up and starting to see the bottom of the expendable $$ bucket.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: SE - buy at $150? on 12/28/2013 23:46:15 MST Print View

Well, I suppose anyone who spent $300 for an SE would be happy to have only spent $160.

However, humans have been hiking and camping and stuff for millions of years without SEs or even Spots. And, it weighs one hundred ninety-five grams! That's a lot of grams.

Don't forget the ten dollars or so to be paid monthly for an inReach Safety subscription. Maybe you should give that coupon to someone else.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

DeLorme inReach SE GPS receiver... on 12/29/2013 00:20:40 MST Print View

Now that Delorme has added the "Location" option on the main menu I was finally able to test their GPS receiver. Before this option was added, I don't believe you could actually tell if you had a good GPS lock without sending a message via the Iridium Satellite network. The problem with sending your coordinates is that under tough conditions, you may not be able to connect with the Iridium birds and that would prevent you from seeing your GPS coordinates (because the track or message wouldn't be sent). Now that Delorme has allowed us to just ping the GPS satellites, the coordinate display doesn't rely on the Iridium satellites being visible.

This change has allowed me to test the GPS receiver and I'm happy to say it surpassed my expectations. I'm able to get a good satellite lock sitting inside the house at my computer (in my basement) and it provided quite an accurate set of coordinates (tested multiple times). This is pretty well equivalent to the results I would get with a High Sensitivity Garmin receiver, so this is good news!

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: DeLorme inReach SE GPS receiver... on 12/29/2013 01:27:06 MST Print View

"Before this option [location] was added, I don't believe you could actually tell if you had a good GPS lock without sending a message via the Iridium Satellite network."

In truth, Mike, you could analyze the SE's GPS performance by pairing it to a Bluetooth device (better Apple) and using either DeLorme's Earthmate app (cranky!) or a competent third-party mapping app like Gaia. Early on I got a current iPod Touch, which has a supergood hi-res display and which is happy to use the GPS feed from the SE. The short story is that the SE's GPS is all that one could want it to be. It works well in forested areas and is very accurate so far as I can tell. When turned on it locks in under a minute, usually much less.

My experience using the iPod with the SE is that it's much easier and more effective than using paper topo maps, which I've been using for about fifty years. I've been skiing complex forested backcountry terrain high in the southern Rockies this season with this combination of instruments. I can tell you that finding and staying on the correct sequence of similar looking wooded ridges is *much* easier with a competent GPS map app. Previously, luck played a significant role. I also use a baseplate compass and a sighting clinometer. Oh, yes, and an altimeter. (All by Suunto) Aneroid altimeters, kept calibrated, are much better than GPS for elevation. The GPS location on the topo display provides good elevation for calibrating.

The great drawback of using electronic gizmos for important things like route finding is the possibility of equipment failure. Of course, maps and compasses (and altimeters!) can come to grief too. So can the backcountry traveler. But then you can expire at home in bed. Also, the earth could be destroyed any minute now by a big chunk of space rock. There's an app for that.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Re: SE v 2.4 = good! on 01/05/2014 12:26:55 MST Print View

Finally updated to 2.4. Some stuff I noticed:

Good:

- Update worked first time, no problems

- New feature - Location (previously mentioned)

- New feature - Settings > Messages > Ring until Msg is Read (poorly described in DeLorme's announcement)

- New "features":
Settings > Tracking > Stationary Interval: 4 hours
Settings > Tracking > Stationary Radius: 100 m
You can't change these settings, but at least you can see them now.

Annoying:

- Update reset time zone to Eastern (default)

- Update reset Tracking to Off

- Update reset "Display owner info at startup" to Off

Overall, a good update so far, but I haven't taken it outside yet.

-- Rex

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: SE v 2.4 = good! on 01/05/2014 12:39:15 MST Print View

Besides the firmware updates, does the hardware look to be pretty durable? I mean, will this survive a three-foot drop test? Or, would I need to carry it in a bag of bubble pack?

The early GPS receivers of twenty years ago had a lot of discrete components inside, and one good drop could do major damage. However, the more modern GPS receivers have integrated most of the component functions onto one big chip, so there is much less to break. This SE product has the GPS stuff, plus the sat phone transceiver, plus other features.

How do you feel about the battery system? As I recall, there is an internal rechargeable battery.

--B.G.--

Edited by --B.G.-- on 01/05/2014 12:44:27 MST.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Re: Re: Re: SE v 2.4 = good! on 01/05/2014 18:53:09 MST Print View

Besides the firmware updates, does the hardware look to be pretty durable? I mean, will this survive a three-foot drop test? Or, would I need to carry it in a bag of bubble pack? ... How do you feel about the battery system? As I recall, there is an internal rechargeable battery.

No complaints so far. Build quality seems solid. I typically carry the SE attached to my pack on a short loop, hanging in an external mesh pocket. I drop the pack on the ground, and toss it in the back of the truck, and generally forget the SE is in there. Still works 6 months later. I wouldn't expect problems dropping the SE 3 feet onto dirt; not sure about granite or concrete.

I keep the SE on the charger when not in use. I haven't noticed any drop in battery life, but I haven't run any specific tests. My experience and other reports say 4-5 days of reasonable use; most of my trips are shorter than that, no problem so far. On longer trips, I would either scale back tracking and other use to extend battery life, or plan on some way to top up the battery as required.

-- Rex

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Re: Re: Re: SE v 2.4 = good! on 01/05/2014 21:52:40 MST Print View

B.G.:

Here are DeLorme's specs on dust, water, shock, and battery life from the SE brochure.

• Waterproof/dustproof (IP67; standard submersion to 1 meter for 30 minutes).
• Impact-resistant (Mil-STD-810F for vibration/shock).
• 100 hours of battery life in 10-minute tracking mode with a clear view to the sky.

Seems pretty sturdy to me, but I haven't abused it (yet).