Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Good review of inReach SE on TrailGroove on 09/19/2013 14:06:19 MDT Print View

Doug, which service plan did you get, and why?

It seems to me that the technology is roughly stable. The user interface is rough but stable. The initial cost is affordable. All I need now is an affordable service plan that makes sense.

--B.G.--

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Good review of inReach SE on TrailGroove on 09/19/2013 15:19:55 MDT Print View

"Doug, which service plan did you get, and why?"

I got the recreation plan, mainly for the unlimited tracking. I really only needed the communication aspect for my pet sitter, so the safety plan would have been plenty. But I decided the tracking would be fun to try out, and that I might as well take advantage of it if I was going to carry the thing in the first place.

I've justified it to myself (always a pretty easy task, actually) by offering it to friends to borrow for their trips as well.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Good review of inReach SE on TrailGroove on 09/19/2013 15:25:58 MDT Print View

I understand about the pet sitter. What about the dog? Can't the pooch reply with a text message? Maybe its paws are too large for the buttons.

--B.G.--

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Good review of inReach SE on TrailGroove on 09/19/2013 15:47:57 MDT Print View

"What about the dog?"

The dog wants to go with you, then you won't have to text it : )

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Good review of inReach SE on TrailGroove on 09/19/2013 16:00:42 MDT Print View

"What about the dog? Can't the pooch reply with a text message? Maybe its paws are too large for the buttons."

Are you kidding? She can use it just fine, but she has no interest in texting me. I had to cut her off because she was sexting with the German Shepherd down the street. Good thing it doesn't do pictures.....

Ryan C
(radio_guy) - MLife

Locale: Alaska
Service Plans on 09/19/2013 19:23:05 MDT Print View

Being an aviator and backpacker, I have considered jumping on the InReach SE bandwagon.

I have a 406MHz PLB that stays in the flight bag and goes on solo or "risky" trips but is rather heavy. You better be in bad shape if you push that red button too.

Being I would have an InReach SE primarily for safety reasons rather than tracking, am I better off getting the safety plan with 10 messages per month and just paying $1.50 per message if I find a need to text more?

$20 activation + 12mo $10 Safety Plan = $140 first year, $120 after

$20 activation + 12mo $25 Recreation Plan = $320 first year, $300 after

Has anyone done the safety plan and exceeded the 10 messages per month? Did the billing go smoothly?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Service Plans on 09/19/2013 19:42:45 MDT Print View

I'd say yes. Why pay more when you really only want it for emergencies, with perhaps the occasional message.

Haven't come close to my max messages, but for the two months I've had it I've had no problems with billing.

Jonathan Shefftz
(jshefftz1) - MLife

Locale: Western Mass.
Safety Plan on 09/19/2013 20:17:27 MDT Print View

I signed up the for the safety plan since I don't have a compelling need for the tracking function, and though I might go over the 10-message free allotment in some months, no way am I going to exceed the entire year-long differential for Safety vs Recreational.

My first invoice included an overage charge, both because I had unwittingly set up my Preset Messages to include my SE as a recipient (hence double counting my messages), and because DeLorme shifts everyone to a 6th of the month to 5th of the following month billing cycle, prorating the first period for both monthly fee and message allotment.

DeLorme claimed that this is published somewhere, but could not identify where, and therefore credited my account.

The next month, the credit was there, but the messages from the prior billing cycle were charged yet again.

So another call to get another credit...

I'm still pleased with my purchase of the SE, given its impressive core functionality, but I sure am wondering about DeLorme competence in other matters.

Edited by jshefftz1 on 09/19/2013 20:38:11 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Safety Plan on 09/19/2013 20:35:12 MDT Print View

"DeLorme shifts everyone to a 6th of the month to 5th of the following month billing cycles"

I wonder if that has anything to do with when DeLorme pays Iridium for the satellite service.

--B.G.--

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
InreachSE on 09/20/2013 02:44:00 MDT Print View

So far I've been very pleased with the inReach SE and I have experienced very similar results with tracking that Rex described. I was backpacking in bit of a canyon area so I purposely brought my Garmin Etrex 20 and my inReach so I could compare tracks. I was surprised to see that the Garmin lost it's lock in the same places that the inReach delayed it's tracking. I'm not surprised that they both lost their signal but was pleasantly surprised that the inReach seemed to recover a signal lock as quickly as the Garmin.

As for the plans, be glad if you are in the USA! The plans in Canada cost more and are really poor. I have to choose a tracking plan or a texting plan. I can't get a nice mix of tracking and texting the way you do in the USA.

You can actually swap plans at no charge but do it on the plan date (5th or 6th?) to avoid surprise overage charges.

I had the original inReach last year and tried using just the safety plan and paying overages as needed. That combined with suspending service ($4 or$5 per month is all you pay for a suspended service) made it pretty cheap to run. The problem with the safety plan and suspending service is that you tend to try and NOT use the device which really defeats the purpose of the inReach and I might as well carry a PLB at no cost if I'm just carrying it for emergency use.

I also found the downside of not having unlimited tracking. My backpacking trip this past week involved a 5.5 hour drive to the trailhead. On the way back home I threw my pack into the back of my truck and forgot to turn off tracking. At 10 min per track point the 5.5 hour drive has cost me (I haven't seen the bill yet :(

Jim Larkey
(jimlarkey) - MLife

Locale: NoCO
inReach F/W vers: 2.3 on 09/27/2013 08:02:43 MDT Print View

Firmware Update 2.3
Fixes:
•Updated Bluetooth functionality
•Various performance improvements

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
DeLorme inReach SE on 10/19/2013 01:28:59 MDT Print View

So here's something that might be of interest for those of you that are inReach users outside of the USA.

Most of the messages that I send from my inReach go to email addresses but on my most recent trip, I was chatting with my son via SMS on his iPhone (much more direct than email as there is no web page interaction required on the recipients end). He was surprised to find that he was charged a "long distance" fee on the text messages that he sent to my inReach from his iPhone (his plan has unlimited texting).

It seems that all text messages going to/from the inReach are routed through Delorme in the USA. So anybody that is outside of the USA that responds to a text message that is sent from an inReach may have to pay a service charge for long distance access (I'm not sure if all international carriers will do this but Roger's certainly charged my son here in Canada). Each message cost him $0.25 so I'll definitely be sending my messages via email from now on.

Just thought this might be of interest for other international users. I'd be interested in hearing if other international users have noticed this.

Edited by skopeo on 10/19/2013 01:29:56 MDT.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
re: inReach SE on 10/19/2013 08:20:51 MDT Print View

I spent the better part of the morning reading this entire post, as my McMurdo FastFind is nearing the end of its life. I have to say I found it immensely entertaining and informative, if not a bit painful at times following user exasperation. I sincerely appreciate the time taken by so many of you, Rex, Jim, and others, in sharing your experiences. I look forward to more updates. Thanks!

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
inReach SE rundown test on 10/22/2013 00:36:30 MDT Print View

Took my inReach SE hiking Sunday afternoon fully charged, then left it on the table turned on but not plugged in, to see how long the battery would last. Still attempting to send 10-minute tracking messages, but it had no visibility to GPS or Iridium satellites.

Just got a ring and a message from the device .

10% Battery Warning
It is advised that you
recharge your inReach to
ensure enough power for
possible SOS use.

Nice feature. Awkward English.

That's about 5 hours of hiking and sending tracking messages, plus 29 hours of sitting with no satellite access, to get to 10% charge.

Worst case, you might run your fully charged battery down in a little over 30 hours if you keep the inReach SE shielded from satellites.

So don't do that!

-- Rex

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: inReach SE rundown test on 10/22/2013 00:58:16 MDT Print View

Interesting.

Now all we need is some kind of discount deal on satellite service.

--B.G.--

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: inReach SE rundown test on 10/22/2013 07:29:25 MDT Print View

Now all we need is it to have a display that shows a topo map, records tracks and waypoints, like a standard GPS.

and I forget, does it have state of the art antenae and receiver?

(and throw in a camera while you're at it)

then you'de save carrying the weight of a GPS (and camera)

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Locale: New Uraniborg CO
Re: Re: Re: inReach SE rundown test on 10/22/2013 08:22:13 MDT Print View

And a pony! Think how much more useful the SE would be with a pony. Not so much on ships of the air and sea, but otherwise!

Jonathan Shefftz
(jshefftz1) - MLife

Careful there with texting to an SE... on 10/22/2013 09:21:21 MDT Print View

"[...] on my most recent trip, I was chatting with my son via SMS on his iPhone (much more direct than email as there is no web page interaction required on the recipients end)"

Glad to hear that worked out well, but that doesn't always work:
http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?f=232&t=84395&start=10

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
inReach SE tracking success stats on 10/25/2013 09:41:13 MDT Print View

Went to explore.delorme.com, used the map to discover the start-stop times of all my hikes, and downloaded the full KML file. One hour of editing later, I had an Excel spreadsheet of tracking date/times associated with each hike. I normally hike with 10-minute tracking turned on. After fixing some problems (see below), we have:

230 theoretical tracking points (time divided by 10 minutes)
222 tracking points received
8 tracking points missed

7 of those missed tracking points were from one Big Basin hike (details here, in dense forests and canyons.

Even on that hike:
34 theoretical tracking points
27 tracking points received
7 tracking points missed

Some of the other hikes had portions of dense forest with canyons, something special about Big Basin?

Problems: I dropped hikes under rock overhangs at Mesa Verde. I had some false alarms on several hikes with a cluster of missed tracking points. On further investigation, those were lunch stops or swim breaks. The inReach senses non-movement, and stops sending tracking points until you move again. I broke those hikes into before and after segments for the stats.

Overall, excellent performance under most conditions.

-- Rex

Edited by Rex on 10/25/2013 09:42:30 MDT.

Jonathan Shefftz
(jshefftz1) - MLife

SE v 2.4 = good! on 12/19/2013 14:34:53 MST Print View

I haven't installed it and tested it yet, but looks promising:

DeLorme's latest inReach SE firmware update (2.4) delivers new functionality and improvements based on feedback from our customers like you!

New location page - Your GPS coordinates are now visible on-screen, making location sharing and reference to paper maps easier. Page also includes updated speed, course, elevation, and GPS accuracy details.
Updated preset messages page - You can now view details for each preset message to ensure that you're sending the correct information. You can also see the full recipient list and complete message by selecting the field and viewing details.
Sound update - We improved the notification tone and repeat options for alerts making it easier for you to hear notifications.
View inReach Address - You can now view the owner contact info and more easily share your address with other inReach users for device-to-device messaging.