Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Roll top closure, where to get plastic strip?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Austin Lundquist
(Alundquist) - F
Roll top closure, where to get plastic strip? on 03/30/2013 21:50:29 MDT Print View

Hello, modding my osprey exos to a roll top, where could I get the thin plastic strips to put through the top? Also, where is a good place to buy a buckle? Thanks!

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: Roll top closure, where to get plastic strip? on 03/30/2013 22:19:28 MDT Print View

This is where I buy all my plastic buckles and other stuff from - http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/products-page/

For the roll top, I just used the plastic from an old notebook and cut it to shape. If it's not long enough, you can overlap the ends and just tape it...since it'll be covered by fabric, it shouldn't matter.

Edited by mangus7175 on 03/30/2013 22:20:07 MDT.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Re: Roll top closure, where to get plastic strip? on 03/30/2013 23:22:18 MDT Print View

HDPE gallon jugs are a quick and easy source of good plastic. Cut a strip vertically from the bottom to the top. A heat gun, hair dryer, or oven on 250ish, will relax the plastic, place something flat and heavy on top to straighten while it cools.

Recycling code for HDPE is "2", found on the bottom of the container btw.

;)

Edited by jdempsey on 03/30/2013 23:22:52 MDT.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
TAP on 03/30/2013 23:34:39 MDT Print View

If you have a TAP plastics near by, they have a huge selection of plastic you can buy, including hdpe, abs, etc etc.

But as others have said, just recycle :)

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Roll top closure, where to get plastic strip? on 03/30/2013 23:47:26 MDT Print View

Fat zip-ties from a bike shop. Lots of bikes come packed from the factory with foam padding attached to the frame with fat zip-ties. Just call a shop and ask the bike-builder to save a few long ones for you.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Re: Roll top closure, where to get plastic strip? on 03/31/2013 00:14:02 MDT Print View

similar to the fat zip ties are the packing straps used on large cardboard boxes. Most are too thin but you can usually find some thicker ones.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Re: Re: Roll top closure, where to get plastic strip? on 03/31/2013 01:38:50 MDT Print View

+1 Dustin, great use of packing straps, perfect size and thickness.

Austin Lundquist
(Alundquist) - F
Thanks! on 03/31/2013 08:57:28 MDT Print View

Thanks guys! Ill
Keep my eye out for something than

M L
(Ablaut) - F
What about... on 03/31/2013 20:50:48 MDT Print View

Flexible cutting board? You can find them for cheap in stores or online, and there are varying thicknesses and sizes to tailor for your needs.

Jared Baker
(simply_light) - MLife

Locale: Midwest, US
Packing Straps on 04/01/2013 04:29:06 MDT Print View

+2 Dustin

I keep an eye out for the wider ones (+ 1/2"). A great source is copy paper boxes (although many paper manufactures have begun using super thin straps and not the heavier duty ones) and a lot of appliance boxes. If you have any stores or delivery centers close by that sell and deliver appliances, they probably have a dumpster full of straps.

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
Plastic strip on 04/02/2013 03:22:13 MDT Print View

Take a large PET soda bottle (2 litre or thereabouts). Cut a spiral strip from the sidewall.

That's it...