Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Sleeping Comfort

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brandon =Þ
(Beeen) - MLife

Locale: California
Re: Sleeping Comfort on 04/09/2013 17:10:39 MDT Print View

I've tried a few different camping/backpacking pillows, but so far it has been stuffing a micro fleece pullover and tying it up with the arms, that gives me the most stable and comfortable pillow. So, for me, there is still a lot of room for improvement in the backpacking pillow marketplace.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Sleeping Comfort on 04/09/2013 21:07:28 MDT Print View

I have a fleecy motorcycle helmet sack that i stuff my down jacket in, if it's not too cold, for my pillow--most comfortable so far. Also made a pillow with Pertex Equilibrium fabric, stuffed with Kapok, and one side also lined with a very sheer silk on top of the Pertex. Not quite big enough and not quite stuffed enough to be truly comfortable, but will more or less work.

Yes, head comfort is very important, nothing worse than a kinked neck!

Now, if i could just get my wife to stop snoring so loudly.... possibly the reason why i tend to prefer solo trips a bit over couple trips...?

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
snoring so loudly.... on 04/10/2013 18:35:24 MDT Print View

Just use ear plugs, that's what I do!

ROB WHELAN
(THREEPOINT)
Re: Sleeping Comfort on 04/15/2013 19:28:00 MDT Print View

For me it's the pillow and a mat that lets me turn over restlessly without my elbows and hips digging into the ground... Air mats just don't work for me.

Given how much I love my sleep, I pay a weight penalty for both these things. I use a full length Prolite Plus and a Mountain Designs (aussie company I think) Stretch Pillow that weighs more than some BPL members' shelters :) But very comfy for me.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Mike C's UL Idea on 04/16/2013 09:05:45 MDT Print View

Pillow is about %60 for me, with hip about %35 more.

Try out Mike Clellands method - didn't see anyone mention it above, though sort of the logical conclusion of Jim's post. Bring a bunch of quart ziplocks. Fill with air and stuff sack. Mike says he uses 7 of these, but modify to taste. I thought they would pop open but it really works. The multiple bags break up the feeling your head is balanced on a balloon. Gives your stuff sack pillow immediate and adjustable girth. Modify with any clothes you have available. My worry was always that I would need to wear all my clothes one night, and I'm already using my backpack for my legs. Shove half a dozen of so ziploc bags into the sack that will be my pillow and problem solved.

If you want to go one further use the ziplocks with one the available fleece-lined stuff sacks as your pillow - mine is a 1.6 Oz small Thermarest pillow stuff sack.

Plus you get brownie points since all the ingredient are multi-use :-)

Edited by millonas on 04/16/2013 09:20:28 MDT.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
Pillow perfection? on 04/16/2013 09:22:07 MDT Print View

I have to say pillow is about 80% for me. Neck has to be just right.
I stopped by a local memory foam distributor and picked up an 8"x 10" x 2" piece weighs 6 oz. and combined with a iffy or fleece under it in a stuff sack it is heaven.

Paid $2 bucks for foam.

The idea came from the Fillo. But I'm not paying $45 bucks for a pillow.