Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Sleeping Comfort
Display Avatars Sort By:
Josh Brock

Locale: Outside
Sleeping Comfort on 03/29/2013 14:46:08 MDT Print View

Today I was at REI and made a discovery. I could be on the thickest heaviest most comfortable pad they have in the store but if I dont have a pillow under my head im not comfortable. I also found out that I could rest just fine on a Zlite as long as i had a pillow.

So what I figured out today is that "my" sleeping comfort has little do do with the pad and more to do with my pillow. This will save me weight.

Just because I would like to see what you all think about when you're getting your bed time kit- What does your sleeping comfort depend on most? why?

Ps I bought a pillow

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Sleeping Comfort on 03/29/2013 14:56:48 MDT Print View

For me the pillow is very important. Less so for my wife. YMMV

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Re: Sleeping Comfort on 03/29/2013 15:04:04 MDT Print View

Pillow is critical, head has to be high enough but without enough padding under my hips and shoulders (side sleeper) the pillow becomes secondary.

Josh Brock

sleeping on 03/29/2013 15:15:03 MDT Print View

roger- I was actually surprised by this pillow thing. I never understood why I was so uncomfortable all the time. I used to try to use a stuff sack and some unused gear as a pillow but in the summer I wear all my cloths to bed so my pillow is uaually an empty back pack(not comfortable). so Im planning on getting a short closed cell ridge rest(9oz) to go with the Ul pillow I just bought. Should be really comfortable for me.

Bottom line is I always thought of a pillow as extra not needed weight.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re comfort on 03/29/2013 15:27:11 MDT Print View

How many hours did you lie on the ZLite? That might make just a little difference.

Agree on importance of a pillow.

Josh Brock

True test on 03/29/2013 16:21:01 MDT Print View

Stephen- 8 hours......I wanted to be sure. and I like hanging out in REI. They have 50% off almost all their beanies right now.

HElinTexas C
(Helintexas) - MLife
I agree on the pillow on 03/29/2013 19:03:26 MDT Print View

I am a side sleeper as well. I CANNOT sleep well if I do not have a pillow that keeps my head relatively parallel with my spine.

I can't do it at home either. I had to go to memory foam pillow to stop having neck and shoulder aches. I currently have a thermorest pillow that works great but is kinda weighty. I am looking for one that works as well but is lighter.

I had to do a head slap when I finally bought myself a pillow and slept so much better. I was in Utah and was about to start my second bping trip of my vacation and stopped by a outdoor shop to pick up some cliff bars. I bought the pillow on a whim after being uncomfortable again the previous nights. LOVED it.

Anyone have recommendations for a pillow with good support that is ultra light, BTW?

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: I agree on the pillow on 03/29/2013 20:05:09 MDT Print View

I like the Exped (larger size).

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
I agree on the pillow on 03/30/2013 07:22:03 MDT Print View

Are we talking about a normal type pillow (bp size) or a air pillow which I find too hard? I have neck issues and usually throw my neck out more on bp trips to the point I'm in pain most of the week, but bping is something I enjoy, so it won't be given up to spare my neck pain. I find if I can keep my head level or in line with my body I'll be ok, just using gear usually does not work. I may have to gear.

Nelson Sherry

Locale: Mid-Willamette Valley
Re: I agree on the pillow on 03/30/2013 20:16:14 MDT Print View

I use anything softish I can find and put it in a stuff sack.
Inflated 2 L platapus bottle
rain gear
sun hat
unworn cloths
unused shelter/cordage
various bunches of plant matter
shoes (only as part of a bottom support layer)

Fleece is my favorite, but, I'm normally wearing it if I have it along.

What I need is a couple of inches of support with at least the top few inches soft. Heck, a rock or small log with a soft layer of cloths on top might even work although I've never tried it.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re: True test on 03/31/2013 00:15:18 MDT Print View

Josh, you're awesome! 8 hours lying on a mat in an REI store! They should have given you the mat and pillow for free!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: pillow for better sleep on 03/31/2013 02:10:19 MDT Print View

+1 on a pillow. I discovered it car camping when I tool a full sized pillow and slept well. I agree that a basic pad is fine if I have a good pillow.

The next step up is a hammock (and a pillow).

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Re: Re: I agree on the pillow on 03/31/2013 06:06:48 MDT Print View

+1 to Nelson's style. I use the inflated 2L platy fairly often to fill the bottom of the stuff bag.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Mind your own business
Re: Re: Re: I agree on the pillow on 03/31/2013 06:29:58 MDT Print View

I like a decent size pillow so put some clothes in an Exped Snozzle pump bag and put a buff ovef the bag.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: I agree on the pillow on 03/31/2013 09:04:02 MDT Print View

I take the Gossamer Gear sitlight pad (which doubles as the back pad for my packs that use one, and as a sit pad in camp, so more than one use!), add about a foot of another old sitlight pad (less than an ounce, and big enough for a second sit pad if you needed one), roll them up and put them in a Sea to Summit XS (2.5L) stuff sack (which is also used to carry things in, so double use). Makes a nice, firm but giving pillow that's the perfect size to keep my head in line with my spine when side sleeping, and is a great neck/head pillow when sleeping on my back. The whole thing weighs less than 3 oz., with more than 2 oz. of it pulling double duty. It gives just enough to be comfortable, but stays firm enough to keep the head/spine in line throughout the night.

Edited by idester on 03/31/2013 09:05:18 MDT.

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Re: Sleeping Comfort on 03/31/2013 21:25:13 MDT Print View

I ended up settling on the Montbell pillow (2.4 oz, I believe). I tried balled up insulation(ended up needing to wear to extend my UL sleep system); balled up clothing in a stuff sack(UL ethos ends up not providing for enough of either); and the platy full of water(gets really cold, I now carry mainly reused liter water bottles). I also tried the medical pillows you inflate with a straw BPL used to sell. Pro - weigh .5oz; Con - not comfortable at all. Also tried bubble wrap. Pro - light and fairly comfortable since you can kind of shape it to create chambers. Con - very bulky.

For 2.4 oz, the Montbell does the job. Chambers are the key for pillows for me.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Sleeping Comfort on 03/31/2013 21:59:40 MDT Print View

I normally sleep in all of my clothes, so I bring a pillow. I avoided bringing a pillow for the longest time until I saw a pillow at REI that only weighed around 2 oz (I had always assumed that they were heavier). It was instantly added to my pack.

Josh Brock

pillow on 04/01/2013 08:31:59 MDT Print View

I bought a cocoon hyperlite insulated pillow, its ony 2.4 ounces and is soft. I laid on it again this weekend to make sure I like the ridge rest(Turns out i had one cut already) pillow combo. I might change out the ridge rest for the Kymit short pad.(saves space but not weight).

Also picked up a half dome 2 tent, and an osprey baby carrier backpack- The tent should work really well in a footprint rain fly set up for me and my girl(3 lbs). plus I got it all for free(ish) with my dividend and the fact that I had to return a soto stove and BD trekking poles I used once and hated.

Erik Basil

Locale: Atzlan
Re: Re: Sleeping Comfort on 04/02/2013 14:29:46 MDT Print View

I am willing to carry what it takes to ensure I can sleep well. For me, this boils down to a thick air pad (currently a BA-insulated) and my "pillow", which is my down puffy, wrapped in my long-sleeve shirt and stuffed into the pillow pocket in my BA bag.

In the rare case where I know I will certainly not wear the puffy, I still carry it for pillow use. It's 13 oz. and I'm worth it. :)

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
I guess I'm old... on 04/09/2013 16:35:56 MDT Print View

I HAVE TO HAVE a pillow or I won't be able to move my head the next morning. And I need a softer pad that a foam pad (I use a BA IAC). I guess I'm getting old...