Forum Index » GEAR » Sub 15 oz bear deterrent...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Locale: Ruta Locura
Re: Fashion deterrence? on 06/26/2007 23:26:24 MDT Print View

While it was not stated in the media reports, the bear did partially consume the boy.

I met with Barrie Gilbert, a bear behavioralist/biologist from Utah state University about a month ago. Much of the conversation was about the potential or probability of a "rogue" or "berserk" bear like the one in American fork canyon, a hypothetical bear that just did not fit the mold. His response was that it would be very, very rare, but definitely a possibility. The American fork bear went right for the boy, carried him off, and then partially consumed him. I would say that this is a very rare "freak" occurance, way out of the norm, but well within the bounds of possibilty.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
The odd bear out. on 06/27/2007 01:10:55 MDT Print View

Did Gilbert say anything about the factors that could create such a "rogue" bear?

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Locale: Ruta Locura
Re: The odd bear out. on 06/27/2007 22:17:16 MDT Print View

No not really, thats sort of what makes them rogue, they are not habituated, malnurished, neglected as cubs, come from broken dens, etc. they are just out side of the norm or at least the percived norm.

This is my own speculation on what could have been part of the equation. We have been in a drought cycle here in Utah for several years, and one of the by products of the unusual weather cylces is that the ungulates, specifiacaly deer and elk, have their yearly cycles all out of wack. The rut in late fall/early winter has been sped up or slowed down depending on the area, and in general spread out over a longer more undefined time. This unusual rutting cycle, spread over as much as three months vs a few weeks, causes fawn deer and elk calves to be born over a wider period of time some earlier and some later than normal. This in general also slows the growth of the herds. Bears are one of the top predators of fawns and calves, and are quite predatory durring the fawning and calfing period of late spring and early summer, though this of course depends on the area, and the individual bear. This particular bear(American fork) was not starving and was not diseased, but was quite intent on hunting and eating. So my theory, and its just my own, is that this bear may have been acustom to hunting fawns or calves and if none were available, it just moved on to what it saw as the next best thing. Some of the reading that I have done on bear behavior strongly suggests that bears are very individual in both their behavior and learned traits. For example, one bear may have digging marmots from rock piles down to a science, and preferrs to feed itself in this manner, where as another bear may never do this because it was taught to scavenge carcasses or knows it has the ability to take prey with in a certain parameter ie. 50-100 pound mostly defenseless young deer and elk, or possibly other prey with in that parameter.

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
Re: deterrence or eternal vigilence on 06/30/2007 12:22:25 MDT Print View

"I'd go the humor route----it's lighter."

I have a marketing suggestion for a different type of video. Take one of these units to Chicago and give it to a group of Bears linemen and see how well they do with it ...