Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Source of info for sewing a cuben tarp?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Amy Lauterbach
(drongobird) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Source of info for sewing a cuben tarp? on 03/29/2013 10:02:57 MDT Print View

I'm about to make my very first thing from cuben - a very simple rectangular tarp, roughly 50 x 80". I have the 1 oz cuben yardage in hand (from zpacks). Before I spend a lot of time studying multiple threads about sewing cuben, I'm hoping somebody could point me to a single source that describes best practices for sewing a cuben tarp.

I have LytW8's document describing his construction details. Should I just follow his instructions for hems and reinforcing the tie-outs, or is there a new consensus on best practice?

Sorry about being lazy and not searching prior posts, but I'm hoping somebody can quickly point me to the best source of info.

Thanks, Amy

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Source of info for sewing a cuben tarp? on 03/29/2013 10:34:34 MDT Print View

suluk 46 http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20RD7%20Cuben%20Fiber%20Tarp.html

some people tape the two pieces together, then run a row of stitches down the middle. Where the stitches are you have two layers of fabric so it doesn't matter that you're poking holes in it. The stitches keep the two pieces from creeping over time. I think they do that for sails. That's what I would do. I've been sort of thinking about doing that some time.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Source of info for sewing a cuben tarp? on 03/29/2013 11:52:32 MDT Print View

Amy,

Sorry for being thick-headed, are you using any adhesive or sewing everything?

Ryan

Stephen Hoefler
(TalusTerrapin) - F - MLife

Locale: Happily wandering
Bond! on 03/29/2013 11:55:18 MDT Print View

I personally advocate for bonding cuben fiber whenever/wherever possible.

I specifically ordered (and assembled the pieces of) a Zpacks Hexamid twin so that there would be no stitches connecting the tarp pieces. I've put that tarp through many nights (about 80) in trying conditions (High Sierra wind storms and monsoon) and it's no worse for the wear. I've also bonded cuben for the bottom of a lytw8 bivy (which you should make!) and likewise, no worse for the wear.

Bonding cuben takes a LOT more effort but I feel it's time well spent.

Colin Krusor has an excellent method for bonding cuben and I recommend you read up on his postings.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60297

Amy Lauterbach
(drongobird) - MLife

Source of info for sewing a cuben tarp on 03/29/2013 11:55:27 MDT Print View

Ryan - you're not thick headed. I have single and double sided tape that I bought when I bought the cuben. I can buy Hysol if necessary. And I have a sewing machine that I know how to use. I can do it any way. Rather than reading 100 threads (I read about 10 so far) to find emerging best practice I'm hoping that somebody will point me to a good how-to-make-stuff-with-cuben document.

And to clarify, I'm using a single piece of cuben for a rectangular tarp, so no ridge line to deal with. And I'll probably make some stuff sacks too.

Thanks.

Edited by drongobird on 03/29/2013 11:56:27 MDT.

Stephen Hoefler
(TalusTerrapin) - F - MLife

Locale: Happily wandering
Re: Bond on 03/29/2013 12:01:09 MDT Print View

Also Amy,

If you decide you want to bond, I have a 4/5 full tube of the Hysol you'd want to use if bonding. I don't have any immediate use for what's left and it's best to use the stuff after opening it.

It looks like you're local (for me). I'm a few miles south and would be happy to get it to you if you decide to bond your tarp.

have a good day :)

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Single piece of fabric-no center seam on 03/29/2013 15:16:47 MDT Print View

Bonding the hem isn't needed, sewing a twice folded edge works fine. Taping or glueing the tie out reinforcements would be a good idea. Make sure they are large enough.

Amy Lauterbach
(drongobird) - MLife

Source of info for making a cuben tarp on 03/30/2013 11:52:43 MDT Print View

thanks to everybody for advice.
thanks to Stephen for the offer of his partially used Hysol, I sent you a PM.

Amy