Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG Shelter
Display Avatars Sort By:
George Fraizer
(gfraizer13) - F

Locale: Wasatch
MYOG Shelter on 03/28/2013 20:27:22 MDT Print View

I used a SMD Wild Oasis in 2010 on the PCT and while it worked well I came away wishing willing to trade a little more weight for three things: More ventilation when using it for bugs, more head room laying down and a bit more space when using it in the rain. This is what I came up with, still floorless and using two poles. It will be a while before I can try it on a trip but the space and ventilation are what I was shooting for.Open, front view.Headroom.Open, end view.Bug mode, front.Bug mode, end.Rain mode, front.Rain mode, end.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
MYOG Shelter on 03/28/2013 20:35:27 MDT Print View

Very nice, George! Good job!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: MYOG Shelter on 03/28/2013 21:13:26 MDT Print View

Yeah, nice!

Innovative and creative ideas on bpl.

Now, if you would just put a blank line between each picture in your source I could see it better : )

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Weight on 03/28/2013 22:02:49 MDT Print View

Looks great George.

If you don't mind the obligatory question?

Edited by cfrey.0 on 03/28/2013 22:03:20 MDT.

George Fraizer
(gfraizer13) - F

Locale: Wasatch
Re: Weight on 03/28/2013 22:16:59 MDT Print View

I still need to seam seal it and trim the netting and zipper even, then get it to a good scale. A first weighing at the supermarket on a produce scale showed maybe 1lb 4oz with stuff sack and stakes. I hope to have a better answer after the weekend.

Tyler Miller
(FightingTheTide) - F - M

Locale: Southeast
Any updates on 05/16/2014 07:39:21 MDT Print View

I know this is over one year old. Any updates from the field?

I'm about to start sketching up some designs for a solo shelter with the same idea you have here. I really like the offset trekking pole setup to offer more headroom and ventilation.