November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Eating on the Trail
Display Avatars Sort By:
Re: Re: No Love for the jetboil? on 04/03/2013 22:11:14 MDT Print View

When my GF and I did the Great Ocean walk we used a canister stove and spent a week staring enviously at the Jetboils some fellow walkers had - when her birthday rolled around I bought her one.

The next hike we went on I used an Alky stove and spent every meal time staring enviously at my GF's Jetboil - so when my birthday rolled around I bought myself one :)

For me they are just so fast and convenient they are worth the extra weight.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Love for the Jetboil on 04/04/2013 06:48:28 MDT Print View

The speed and convenience is truly amazing. I've worked it out to be the best of both worlds...The guys with whom I backpack were "trained" in the art of backpacking by me. I had a JetBoil when we did our first trips (I've kept it, but usually carry an alky stove or a woodburner on trips now).

They went out and bought JetBoils so when the four of us go on a trip now we have at least two JetBoils along so I don't bring a stove at all - they're always proud to boil me up a pint of water in 2.2 minutes (or whatever it takes).

The lightest stove of all is the one you don't carry.

Michael Ray
(thaddeussmith) - F
white gas on 04/04/2013 08:34:05 MDT Print View

I like my MSR Dragonfly. Fuel is cheap and there's no canister waste. Priming isn't *that* much of a hassle unless you're the type of person that gets angry when your Starbucks takes more than 5 minutes to arrive on the drink counter. Stinky and messy, sure, but so is all the soot from a wood fire stove. Weight is the biggest issue, but with that weight comes a lot of versatility - i can boil water, cook 1 pot meals, or gourmet cook for an entourage. Noise is the other concern, but there are ways to minimize that as well.

I simply don't want 4 different stoves for 4 different needs and am willing to absorb the negatives as a result.

*edit: I just realized this was a food style discussion that has sidetracked into a stove discussion. sorry about that.

Edited by thaddeussmith on 04/04/2013 08:39:02 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: white gas on 04/04/2013 08:38:10 MDT Print View

Whaaa???? You DON'T want tons of gear? cardinal sin of a!