Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Eating on the Trail

Display Avatars Sort By:
ROB WHELAN
(THREEPOINT)
Re: Re: No Love for the jetboil? on 04/03/2013 22:11:14 MDT Print View

When my GF and I did the Great Ocean walk we used a canister stove and spent a week staring enviously at the Jetboils some fellow walkers had - when her birthday rolled around I bought her one.

The next hike we went on I used an Alky stove and spent every meal time staring enviously at my GF's Jetboil - so when my birthday rolled around I bought myself one :)

For me they are just so fast and convenient they are worth the extra weight.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Love for the Jetboil on 04/04/2013 06:48:28 MDT Print View

The speed and convenience is truly amazing. I've worked it out to be the best of both worlds...The guys with whom I backpack were "trained" in the art of backpacking by me. I had a JetBoil when we did our first trips (I've kept it, but usually carry an alky stove or a woodburner on trips now).

They went out and bought JetBoils so when the four of us go on a trip now we have at least two JetBoils along so I don't bring a stove at all - they're always proud to boil me up a pint of water in 2.2 minutes (or whatever it takes).

The lightest stove of all is the one you don't carry.

Michael Ray
(thaddeussmith) - F
white gas on 04/04/2013 08:34:05 MDT Print View

I like my MSR Dragonfly. Fuel is cheap and there's no canister waste. Priming isn't *that* much of a hassle unless you're the type of person that gets angry when your Starbucks takes more than 5 minutes to arrive on the drink counter. Stinky and messy, sure, but so is all the soot from a wood fire stove. Weight is the biggest issue, but with that weight comes a lot of versatility - i can boil water, cook 1 pot meals, or gourmet cook for an entourage. Noise is the other concern, but there are ways to minimize that as well.

I simply don't want 4 different stoves for 4 different needs and am willing to absorb the negatives as a result.

*edit: I just realized this was a food style discussion that has sidetracked into a stove discussion. sorry about that.

Edited by thaddeussmith on 04/04/2013 08:39:02 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: white gas on 04/04/2013 08:38:10 MDT Print View

Whaaa???? You DON'T want tons of gear? cardinal sin of a backpacker...lol!