Forum Index » GEAR » Bearikades

Display Avatars Sort By:
Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Bearikades on 03/29/2013 04:00:18 MDT Print View

I have both a Scout: http://tinyurl.com/29lmaam and a Weekender. I honestly do not know how many days out with them, but a lot. I love them. We also have a bunch of Bear Vaults but rarely use them.

I have never had a bear try them out.

I can get four days of food in one (carrying the first nights meal out of it) and can get up to a week from the Weekender.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
got it on 04/04/2013 14:58:19 MDT Print View

For those of you sitting on the edge of your computer seat wondering what I decided(sarcasm). I ordered a bearikade. And the advice about the bearikade be more cost effective the bigger it is was taken into account to a degree. I ended up getting a 12.5 inch one. He had one in stock. It should get mailed out today and I'm actually more excited than I thought I would be.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

New Bearikade on 04/08/2013 21:14:39 MDT Print View

Ordered my bearikade and it came super fast. Ordered on 3rd showed up on the 6th. The below is a picture of it on my pack. It looks Hyuuuge on my little gorilla. I got the 12.5 size. Hopefully its the last bear can I have to buy.Gorilla-kade

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: New Bearikade on 04/08/2013 21:18:48 MDT Print View

Nice. What does it weigh?

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Re: Re: New Bearikade on 04/08/2013 22:31:03 MDT Print View

The site says 33.8 but I don't have a scale to weigh it with so I cant confirm it. but it weighs 6 ounces more than the smallest one and has 780ci so 280 more Cubic inches comes with that.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Bearikades" on 04/09/2013 10:12:54 MDT Print View

Josh: my Weekender is going on 12 years at least...lost count really...probably more...still going strong except that the chain joining the lid to the can is broken. I could fix it but it's not really a problem. I can't see the can ever wearing out. The only thing is that I loan it out sometimes; that's asking for trouble. So yeah the initial frightening price is worth it, imo. ( I got mine the first year that it was available, so it was a bit cheaper!)

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Dollars per ounce on 04/09/2013 11:34:36 MDT Print View

I think bear canisters come down to dollars per ounce saved and could those dollars per ounce be better put to something else in your kit. $15 per ounce on the weekender and $30 per ounce for the small one are some expensive ounces.

However the ounces are free ounces in the sense that you don't give up any functionality to save them where getting lighter in other areas might mean a less supportive backpack, a smaller sleeping pad or smaller tent.

For me I bought a Bear Vault as my frequency of use is fairly low and I perfer to spend my money on gadgets I can play with rather than a chair.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Poor little gorilla... on 04/09/2013 11:40:32 MDT Print View

Wow...that IS huge. I guess I should be glad I got the circuit...

Have you tried carrying it up there yet? I can't imagine it rides well up there, but I'd love to hear that it does....

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

"Bearikades" on 04/09/2013 13:23:03 MDT Print View

I definitely carry mine inside my pack. For 5 days I can use the Scout, which lays horizontally on the bottom of my pack and still leaves room on either side to stuff socks etc. You have to carry the first night's dinner and lunch to make this work. The Weekender "just" goes horizontal. I carry a larger volume pack precisely for the canister; plus I don't have to shmush my sleeping bag so much. Part of the penalty of bear canisters.

Edited by book on 04/09/2013 13:34:41 MDT.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: "Bearikades" on 04/09/2013 13:58:53 MDT Print View

Jeffrey which pack?? I hear most need to carry the weekender vertically.....

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

"Bearikades" on 04/09/2013 15:04:49 MDT Print View

Gossamer Gear G4. Mine is older; it may be that their newer design flares out a bit at the bottom. It's a tight fit but the weekender goes horizontal in this pack.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Carries fine on 04/09/2013 23:08:28 MDT Print View

Its solid there. I'm not worried how its going to carry, that's the only place I've ever carried a canister. Sure its not ideal to have that amount of weight on the top of my pack but hey I've never had an issue with it. I got it that size because it is more economical. For one I will only have one. I can always put less food in it but I cant always put more. I'm young so I don't know where I will end up and how big Ill need it. Second you get more space per dollar the larger it gets.

Thank you to the members that pointed those points out to me when I was looking for a canister.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Which size? on 05/13/2013 13:25:01 MDT Print View

Great thread. I'm also determining whether I can justify the expense of a Bearikade. For those that own two sizes (BV 450 or 500, Scout or Weekender), I would love to hear how much food you can get into each one. I know this is highly individualized, much like a pack, but I'm curious.

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Bearikade on 05/13/2013 14:26:57 MDT Print View

I too have the Weekender for my 7-8 day trips. The only choice for me is the Bearikade or the Garcia. I have hiked using the Bear Vault and have found it really frustrating to open at the most inopportune times. Something about those threads. So, I use a Bearikade. I used to rent but finally bought one and for the Sierra I will be using if for years to come. I like the wide open top.

I also saw that you had it strapped on the top of your Gorilla. I personally like to put it straight down in my pack, vertically. I can put it in either a Mariposa Plus or a Gorilla that way. I usually pack my sleeping bag loose, and then my clothes, then the Bearikade. I like to leave my down jacket out until I pack my canister. I then pack the jacket loosely around the canister. I have found it acts like a shield from the sun and doesn't melt my chocolate stuff too much. Gotta keep those Snicker Bars from melting!

Edited by scottbentz on 05/13/2013 14:30:45 MDT.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

outside of pack can on 05/13/2013 16:01:27 MDT Print View

yeah it does seem like most people on here choose to put it inside their pack. Ive only been on a short over nighter so far this year but it carries fine and all my food along with my seat(bear can) for a rest are really easy to get to. Also, for those of us using a smaller pack, if its on the outside it only adds to the volume of your set up. Instead of taking it away.

I am also looking at getting a different pack (granite gear blaze AC).... After having gone really light last year and the year before and with the addition of DSLR photography gear I am now wanting something with more space and a lot more load carrying capability. bottom line is I will be carrying more extras with my ultra light kit.

example: two types of fishing gear, dslr tripod and external trigger, extra lenses, Ipad, Gear for two when going with my girl friend. plus in the fringe seasons like now I find my gorilla a little loaded down with some gear I use for winter, such as my feathered friends volant pants, my long and wide down mat and extra base layers. which add a substantial amount of weight and volume. Plus as a change of pace I am going to start bringing a ton of food.

As for the can I loove it and started adding my stickers(which clearly make it lighter and easier to carry). I am also going to cut a round section of pad to put on top of it for sitting. I'm happy with my purchase and would not change anything. and I think most feel the same way.

Debbie Melita
(debmonster) - F - MLife

Locale: Northeast
Which Size? - Bearikade on 05/13/2013 16:14:42 MDT Print View

Sean, I can fit 6-7 days worth of food & odorous items in my Bearikade Weekender, and I am not a minimalist when it comes to food. I do freezer bag cooking, and my home-made meals in zip-locs pack smaller than pre-made freeze dried meals. I've always carried the Weekender on the inside of my pack; it fits horizontally in my REI Flash 50 pack, and vertically in my GoLite Jam2 women's pack, along with all of my backpacking gear (Tarptent Rainbow Solo tent, MH Phantom 32 bag, Neo-Air pad, etc). If I'm carrying less than 7 days worth of food, I'll pack as many other items in my canister as possible so they don't take up space elsewhere in my pack.

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Re: Which size? on 05/13/2013 18:59:23 MDT Print View

Weekender: between 6-8 days of food depending on what I bring. Carry it vertically inside my Windrider 3400 or my old ULA Catalyst. Usually on top of sleeping bag and clothes with more clothes or small items tucked aroundit to make sure it is centered and doesn;'tmove around. Since full it is the heaviest item in my pack I like to have it in the right place in my pack. I think the volume is ideal for me. It's a great long weekend + for a couple or longer trip solo. Think of it as a long term investment.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Re: Re: Which size? on 05/14/2013 12:18:53 MDT Print View

Thanks, Debbie and M G.

I'm finding this purchase much more difficult than others. It seems like the Scout may be the right size for me most of the time, but for 3 oz more, you get a lot more space with the Weekender. Seems like the Weekender is the better buy, as the bigger size yields greater weight savings over the BearVault line (and helps justify the cost somewhat).

On the other hand, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, you could by both size BearVaults and have cash in your hands. Decisions, decisions...

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
food in canister on 05/14/2013 16:09:44 MDT Print View

I can fit 9 days of food in my weekender, but is choosing everything very carefully and there is no wasted space. Canister weighs about 18 pounds when full. It does not go on top...

Steve

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

"Bearikades" on 05/14/2013 17:05:41 MDT Print View

The smaller size of the Scout is just great for packing. I like the Weekender too but its size makes it a bit more problematic fitting in my pack. For 5-6 days the Scout is definitely my go-to canister. So yeah, depending on your pack, the size of the canister may be another factor to consider.

I've never regretted buying these. (Not both at once!)