Forum Index » GEAR » Bearikades

Display Avatars Sort By:
Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
Bearikades on 03/27/2013 10:47:32 MDT Print View

Im looking at new bear canisters(I have only rented). I noticed that the bearikades are substantially more expensive.

Am I simply paying 100+ dollars extra to have a pound removed from my pack?

Does anyone have any expierence with this canister good or bad?

Is it worth the extra dough to you? (I know this question depends on the person so Im asking your opinion given your situation)

Lastly if you like other bear canisters which ones?

It certainly does look cool.....and I do like looking cool =0)

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Bearikades on 03/27/2013 11:20:20 MDT Print View

I own a Bearikade Scout, it is slightly smaller than the Weekender.

In my opinion Bearikades are the best bear cans on the market.
High quality, and lighter weight.
But other heavier brands do work,
so yes, you are probably paying extra just to save weight.
whether or not it is worth it ... you must decide for yourself based on your own indiviual cicumstances ... money v.s. weight.
For me its worth it.

you can always rent one on your next trip to try it out first.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Bearikades on 03/27/2013 11:22:50 MDT Print View

I have the Weekender for my 7-8 day trips. Works nice, I've heard somewhere that the bears have dashed them somehow and opened them up. May want to do more research. I like the lightness and peace of mind with canisters when I have to take one. Mine is re-enforced with stickers from all over.
Duaen

J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
maybe one other diff on 03/27/2013 11:23:26 MDT Print View

Other than weight, one slight difference could be that there is supposedly one or more bears I believe in the Adirondacks that has figured out how to open a Bear Vault brand.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Bearikades on 03/27/2013 11:37:39 MDT Print View

Where are you backpacking? That will affect your choice of canister.

As mentioned, no Bear Vaults in the Adirondacks. Yellow Yellow, the famous Bear Vault opener, is now RIP, but she trained a number of cubs over the years!

Bearikades have not been approved by the InterAgency Grizzly Bear Committee, so they can't be used where IAGBC-approved canisters are required (Grand Teton NP being an example). Go here and page down to see what happened when Bearikade met grizzly:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60298&startat=80
The explanation is farther along in that thread.

Of course either canister is fine for the Sierra.

Edited by hikinggranny on 03/27/2013 11:42:51 MDT.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Re: Bearikades on 03/27/2013 11:42:08 MDT Print View

Duane- hahah I heard the bears hate stickers. Sounds pretty impenetrable.

I'm not opposed to paying more for something that is lighter. I guess I just like to know why I'm going to pay more. and like I said it does look cool and its not like it'd be the first time I got something just casue it looked cool.

I more less want to make sure that its not a piece of junk that cost more cause it weighs less but can't perform the task it was designed to do.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Bears on 03/27/2013 11:47:10 MDT Print View

Mary-
I will be in California mostly. So the sierra's is where I will be mostly. With a couple trips to other state parks.

I will also need it for whitney I believe. (I still dont have my date from the lottery?)

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Bearikades" on 03/27/2013 11:51:05 MDT Print View

"I more less want to make sure that its not a piece of junk that cost more cause it weighs less but can't perform the task it was designed to do."

No worries there, in my opinion. The Bearikades are very well made and a beautiful piece of kit.

I think a Bearikade is the single most expensive item I ever bought for backpacking. Which says a lot about the relative affordability of backpacking as a hobby.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Griz canister on 03/27/2013 12:02:31 MDT Print View

Mary- that posted link to another thread worries me a little. There is one of these expensive cannisters basically shredded from a grizzly. apparently these are great for black bears but not so good for grizzlies? have they fixed this issue? Or addressed it at all other than saying they dont do business in grizzly populated areas as much.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Griz canister on 03/27/2013 12:06:05 MDT Print View

no grizzlys in California,
mostly just Marmots at Whitney.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Bearikades on 03/27/2013 12:09:12 MDT Print View

"Am I simply paying 100+ dollars extra to have a pound removed from my pack?"

Another benefit of the Bearikade is the ease of opening the canister. Bear Vaults can be a real pain to open on a cold morning. I think most Bear Vault owners (including myself) can attest to cursing the canister in frustration at least a few times.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Really? on 03/27/2013 12:13:57 MDT Print View

I know that there are no griz in CA. I live here.

Now does that mean that I want to buy a bear canister that is only useful in california? especially when it cost 3 times as much as other canisters? That is my concern.

Edit: sounded to snarky

Edited by needsAbath on 03/27/2013 12:16:05 MDT.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Really? on 03/27/2013 12:27:39 MDT Print View

well its the Bearikade or the Garcia,
totally your choice ... only you know what your future plans are.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Actually No on 03/27/2013 13:10:22 MDT Print View

> "Am I simply paying 100+ dollars extra to have a pound removed from my pack?"

No. When you compare similar size to similar size the difference is not a pound and the price difference is more than $100. So depending on the size you might be either:
1. Spending $169 to save 10 ounces.
2. Spending $152 extra to save 5 ounces

From a post I made on another forum:
"The numbers are:
* Bearicade Weekender - 650 cubic inches, 31 ounces, $249
* Bearvault BV500 - 700 cubic inches, 41 ounces, $79.95
or for the smaller size:
* Bearicade Scout- 500 cubic inches, 28 ounces, $219
* Bearvault BV450 - 440 cubic inches, 33 ounces, $66.95

Personally I find the weight savings of the Bearicade models to not really justify the price, for me at least. For the large size $169 extra to save 10 ounces might almost start to look tempting, but $152 extra to save 5 ounces seems very dubious to me. Those would be some of the most expensive ounces saved on my list if I went that route. If I use the Bear Vault models I can buy both for way less than one Bearicade of any size and use the one best suited to the hike I am doing. The flexibility of having both is nice because when you can use the smaller one you can probably same additional weight by taking a smaller lighter pack. In my case on trips where the BV 450 is enough I am likely to be using a 10 ounce lighter pack as well for a weight savings of 22 ounces over the BV500. It is even 12 ounce lighter than if I had the Bearicade Weekender. Obviously I'd save weight with the Scout, but how many folks are willing to splurge for a Scout and a Weekender. Having all three Bearicades would be ideal but $762 would probably be hard to justify for most of us.

I figure that I can fairly easily get to a base weight of 11-12 pounds (depending on how much clothing I take) with the BV450 even if carrying a few luxury items. At that point I am really not willing to spring for another $152 to save 5 ounces.

On the other hand if you need a really big canister the Bearicade Expedition is in a class by itself as far as I know. I sure as heck would not want to use it on shorter trips or ones with frequent resupply options though. I guess if you are doing one big trip where you need that capacity renting or buying and reselling one makes sense. I really don't see it for the smaller sizes though unless you will only need a canister once."

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: Re: Really? on 03/27/2013 13:17:46 MDT Print View

This may sound like a small consideration given the price difference, but I really like that my Bearikade is a smooth flat surface. It slips into a frameless pack easily without getting hung-up and has no external ridges or bumps to bother your back.

Add the opening mechanism design plus weight savings and I've been happy with my choice.

PS: Pretty sure WildIdeas does have a rental program if you want to try one out.

Edited by cfrey.0 on 03/27/2013 13:30:26 MDT.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Locale: Southern California
Opening a Bear Vault on 03/27/2013 13:27:05 MDT Print View

"Bear Vaults can be a real pain to open on a cold morning. I think most Bear Vault owners (including myself) can attest to cursing the canister in frustration at least a few times."

This kid has a solution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyEbLfL_lSU

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Bearikade vs Grizzly on 03/27/2013 13:41:35 MDT Print View

Not to sound TOO snarky, but everyone gets all huffy about that single picture of the bearikade that was mauled by a grizzly. My understanding is that they are used successfully in Alaska (please you Yukon folks correct me if I'm wrong) and all sorts of other places without incident.

There is no bear canister that is completely bear proof (ahem Yellow Yellow and your smarty pants offspring), so why does a single photo of a single bear can make people think the bearikade is not bear worthy??

I've read that threat a few times and really can't understand it. Now the price, that's a whole other thing to get all huffy about.....

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Bearikades on 03/27/2013 13:47:05 MDT Print View

Bear canisters provide about 40 minutes of protection.

They are not bear proof, nor marketed as such.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Bear Vault, baby! on 03/27/2013 14:06:32 MDT Print View

Yes, you pay quite a premium to save some weight in a canister with reduced volume capacity, an opaque surface and major back-country bling.

Personally, I go with the BV500's and am willing to carry the "extra weight" in exchange for:
--greater volume capacity than either a Bearikade or a Garcia;
--translucent sides that let me see what I'm digging for;
--nice, rounded edges that don't tear things;
--a simple method of opening that my Scouts and I find pretty easy;
--proven resistance to Yogi Bear himself, after he bashed, drooled and relocated our canister to no avail;
--insanely easier to use and lighter than a Garcia.

That said, I also commit to the High Sierra ethos of putting a rock in the pack of anyone with visible carbon-fiber equipment, so things tend to even-out...

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

canisters on 03/27/2013 14:15:42 MDT Print View

hmm good info. I would likely only be buying one of these even if it is the bear vault and i was looking at the weekender. I did not know that they only bought your food slightly more time than with out. I assumed(I know I know I should not assume)that they stopped bears from getting your food. I guess I just need to order one and stop staring at the price.

We need to get a BPL member to make one of these that weighs less. Have they invented UL adamantium cloth yet?

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Bearikades on 03/27/2013 14:19:46 MDT Print View

It isn't unreasonable to spend the money on a Bearikade if you (a) have the money and (b) use it a lot, like on a thru-hike or if you live in California and are required or at least should take a canister for nearly every trip. If the canister is an integral part of every trip, get the one that has the features you like best. That said, Pete's numbers are something to consider: spending $169 to save 10 ounces; spending $152 extra to save 5 ounces.

I have a BV450 and BV500; neither gets a lot of use here in the PNW, where bears are not a problem like in Yosemite.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

bears on 03/27/2013 14:41:57 MDT Print View

I have the money its not like im going to have to eat ramin for a week or anything. For some reason, and I dont know why, its harder to shell out for this than any of my other gear. Maybe its that im getting it because I have to and not because ive researched it, I love it and I really really want it.

Dowser Tom
(DaFireMedic) - M

Hard to justify the cost on 03/27/2013 14:55:26 MDT Print View

I'm in the same camp as Pete. I needed 2 canisters for my JMT hike last year and went with Bearvault 500's that I got on sale for about $65 each. I saved more than $350 over the price of 2 Bearikades at the cost of 10 oz in weight to my pack and my son's. Bearikades are indeed nice, and if they were closer in price I would buy one, but I could not afford one Bearikade, much less two.

BTW: I found that opening a Bearvault became very easy and painless once I figured out how. Just take a small stick and push inward and counterclockwise just behind the tab on the lid. The lid turns just enough to get past the lock and opens easily from there.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re on 03/27/2013 14:58:49 MDT Print View

Another Californian here - I've had the Bearikade Weekender and Scout for 3 or 4 years now, and am as pleased as I can be with something I'd rather not be carrying in the first place. Since most of my trips are under a week and solo, I have not gotten the Expedition. I've used my Bearikades as a stool in camp, and as a platform for my stove. If any bears have messed with my Bearikades, I have had no evidence of it. I'm sure the stickers have had a lot to do with that! ;) But some sort of bear canister is required in too many good areas here in California, I figured I might as well get them. Plus when I go with another family member, I make them take the bigger, heavier canister!

Actually, I put bright stickers on them to help me find them in the morning!

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: bears on 03/27/2013 15:09:00 MDT Print View

I agree that at the outset, regardless of branding or design, the bear-can appears to be one of those "I wouldn't take this if I didn't have to" decisions.

I expected to buy my bear-can, use it in the Sierra, and then sell it off. However, I hate hanging food ... I hate hunting for appropriate trees and apparently, despite years of clumsy practice, I suck at throwing and tying knots. In situations where I am out with a small pack for only a few days and I don't want to sleep with my food the bear-can has surprisingly become an attractive piece of gear, even in situations where it is not mandated.

Additionally, in the right frameless pack, the smooth sided Bearikade placed vertically has worked well in building some pack-structure ... kind of like a CCF pad burrito style, but in CF form.

Anyway, point being it might not become the throw away, sell-it-off, "I don't want to use it!" piece of gear it initially appears to be.

As to Erik's backcountry bling factor, I totally agree. Those darn kids with their SilNylon and rubber-soled shoes. Its strictly canvas and hobnail boots for me! (LOL. Sorry. I couldn't help myself.)

Edited by cfrey.0 on 03/27/2013 15:11:12 MDT.

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Best of both worlds! on 03/27/2013 16:12:04 MDT Print View

Bear Boxer Contender; less expensive and less weight than a Weekender. But it only holds 3 days of food. I expect four days could fit if you pack it well, which means 5 days of backpacking (first day of food outside the canister) with a 1.6lb canister.

I have both the Weekender and the Contender. I got my Weekender back in 2002 and it has been a good investment (2 JMT hikes). I can put 9 days of food into it, and have only had to replace the o-ring one time. Cut the chain off. Cut a sit pad to fit the top. No complaints.

Can't wait to use my Contender this summer!

Steve

EDIT: I fully agree with what Christopher above said about providing pack structure. A weekender sitting on a stuff sack of sleeping bag; very comfortable in forming a lumbar curve, as long as the canister is allowed to lean toward you (kinda away at the bottom).

Edited by geokite on 03/27/2013 16:17:03 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Bearikades on 03/27/2013 17:25:45 MDT Print View

Personally I have been thinking about getting a new can this season. I was thinking along the following lines as I have an old Garcia can (44 oz/614 ci) I have used for the past decade....

If I buy a Bearikade I would moat likely only want to buy 1 for obvious reasons. I might just buy the expedition size Bearikade (36.5 oz, 906 ci), this is only 5 or so oz heavier than the weekended (31.1 oz/656 ci), and at any rate would still save 1/2 lb over the Garcia. I would eat the extra 5 oz, and on shorter trips could pack other stuff in the can - someone was asking about any advantages and I suppose the extra wide opening would be one. I would probably build my kit around having that Bearikade inside, and in the center of my pack, as usual.

Also I would probably first do a lot of thought on how long the longest trip I would want to go on without resupply would be. Looks like because of the simple design it doesn't cost ...um.. more, at least, to buy a custom length one. I could very well buy a shorter one.

So in short, figure out the max food volume/total pack weight you would put up with without resupply, and buy that size. Weight on these thing goes approximately as the surface area so the volume per unit weight goes up in proportion the length, as does efficient use of the extra weight. Then buy the largest can you would ever need and just eat the small difference in weight of the "optimal" size for your trip when you go on a shorter one. On shorter trips use the extra space to pack other things in the can and keep your bag compact for those trips, or even use a smaller bag for those.

You are still going to have to swallow the weight of the bear can, but at least this way you only need one can and the volume issue doesn't matter so much on shorter trips.

Edited by millonas on 03/27/2013 17:40:27 MDT.

Dirk R
(Dirk)
Re: Bearikades on 03/27/2013 19:06:29 MDT Print View

As someone with first-hand experience with both Bearikades, Garcia and the BV500 I offer these thoughts....

First, the Garcia is the easiest to eliminate if weight and volume are requirements.

The Bearikade vs the Bear Vault becomes a more subjective question.

First, the one advantage that the Bearikade offers is the ability to get custom sizes. I've mentioned this before, but they were pretty easy to work with in the event you wanted something outside their normal product line.

You can find custom size information on their website here.

The downside of the bearikades is that that 90 edge at the lid can cut into lightweight pack fabric. This is a concern. I did send a missive to to the company, and when I get a reply, I will let you know. The Bear Vaults have rounded lids.

Despite the edge issue (which requires to pack carefully, I rather carry Bearikade because of the weight issue.. Having a quarter along helps with opening the lid, obviously, but I found that system preferable to the BV500 I've used. I am sure there are others who would find the opposite to be true.

But the BV500 is a very good canister and I don't think you'd go wrong either way. I think where you live and the style of packing you employ factors into this decision: I generally don't need a canister except for very few locations. In those cases (such as the Sierra) I would like to spend a greater time in the back country than resupplying, in which case, I choose my bigger bearikade and larger pack. If I were doing shorter trips (say, three days), I think the BearVault might shine here - certainly weight isn't as much an issue (you generally are carrying less food to begin with).

Happy Trails!

Dirk

Edited by Dirk on 03/27/2013 19:50:33 MDT.

Dowser Tom
(DaFireMedic) - M

Re: canisters on 03/27/2013 19:11:09 MDT Print View

" I did not know that they only bought your food slightly more time than with out. I assumed(I know I know I should not assume)that they stopped bears from getting your food."

This is not really the case. Bear resistant canisters are a very strong deterrent to bears getting your food. There have been some unusual cases of bears getting them open, but except on rare occasions bears knock them around for a while then give up and look for an easier source. I have had many friends hike the JMT and while a few have had canisters knocked around, not one has actually lost food from a canister to a bear.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Bearikades on 03/27/2013 19:42:41 MDT Print View

I have the Bearikade Scout and my brother has the Weekender. I have used the Bearikade, Bearvault, and Garcia canisters. All are waterproof when placed on the ground upside down. The Bearvault is waterproof right side up the Garcia is not (no oring seal on the Garcia lide. Bearikades have o-rings on the lides and are probably water proof right side up. I always place my canister upside down on the ground when it rains.

The bearikades have the widest opening when compared to the bearVault and Garcia canisters. The bearikades use a lid latch mechanism similar to the Garcias. I have never heard of any black bears managing to open the Garcia or Bearikade latches. The one Bearikade that a grizzly ripped open is the only report of a Bearikade failure I have seen. For the weight Bearikades generally have the best internal valume to weight ratio while keeping the external size about the same to similarly sized bearvaults, Garcias and Bearboxers.

As mentioned the BearVault has been opened by one black bear and her cubs may know how to do it. BearVaults are the only transparent canisters on the market. Some like that feature but keep in mind that if you leave it exposed to the sun your food can get hot due to solar heating it's a great green house). I have not found anyone that likes the Bearvault lide latches. As mentioned earlier the only way to easiiy open a bearvault is with a credit card.

Garcias are the gold standard. To the best of my kinowledge no bear or grizzly has ever goten into one. However it has a very narrow opening which can make it difficult to pack and unpack. The thicker plastic walls also reduce the internal valume meaning you cannot pack in as much food.

"Bear canisters provide about 40 minutes of protection."

Not True. Since Yosemite started requiring the use of bear canisters backcountry bear problems ave very infrequent. Yosemite valley and its heavily used high sierra camps do occationally have bear problems. However in most cases it is because some people don't follow the rules and try bear bagging or carry no food protect at all. Most bears quickly learn they cannot get the food inside a bear can and then leave bear can users allown.

Edited by Surf on 03/27/2013 20:02:03 MDT.

Erik Dietz
(erikdtz)

Locale: Los Angeles
Canisters on 03/27/2013 20:34:07 MDT Print View

I didn't read all the comments so I'm not sure if this was already mentioned...but the bearikade canisters are much more cylindrical so you're able to use all the space. I have a small bear vault canister as well and I find that I can't pack as much food in it as I can my bearikade scout. A bear canister is needed more often then not where I backpack so the extra expense for a little less weight was worth it to me. Just my .02c

Dowser Tom
(DaFireMedic) - M

Re: Re: Bearikades on 03/27/2013 20:45:54 MDT Print View

"I have not found anyone that likes the Bearvault lide latches. As mentioned earlier the only way to easiiy open a bearvault is with a credit card."

Now you have. It doesn't take much if any longer to open one than it does to turn the 3 latches on the Bearikade. The easiest way is actually with a stick, pen, or any pointed object as I mentioned in an earlier post, not the credit card, although that works too. Just a quick, single push behind the tab on the lid to get it past the lock and unscrew the lid like you would opening a jar. You need a coin or a key to get into a Bearikade as well. It really shouldn't be an issue when deciding on a bear canister, as none of the 3 are difficult to open. Also, its transparent but tinted blue and the solar heating is not likely to be much worse than leaving a black container in the sun.

I don't think that anyone disagrees that the Bearikade is the best approved canister available for all the reasons you mentioned. I saw many last year on the JMT and I certainly liked them better than the Bearvault. The only real concern that I've heard is the cost, but that's a biggie. For some its not an issue, but for the average backpacker its difficult to lay out $250+ for a bear canister, especially if you will rarely use it again, if ever. This is even more of a factor when you can get a canister that will do the job just fine for just over 1/4 the cost (I bought 2 Bearvault 500's from a major retailer for $65 each). You are taking a 10 oz weight penalty, and it may be worth it to you to save that 10 oz if you can afford it, although there are more cost effective ways to save weight if you haven't already done them. But if you need more than one canister (I had to buy one for my son as well), the cost starts becoming prohibitive for most people.

A W
(lost_01)
re-sale on 03/27/2013 21:35:07 MDT Print View

So call me crazy for this, but I'm thinking of buying the Bearikade for (one) JMT trip this summer, and then selling it. I would like to have the bearikade and use it to shake out my gear / food packing ability well before my actual trip.

Since noone has mentioned it in this thread, what does a used Weekender typically sell for on these forums? If I could get 200 for a $250 can I would say it's worth it, and gives you more flexibility than the rental.

Brandon =Þ
(Beeen) - MLife

Locale: California
Re: re-sale on 03/27/2013 21:42:00 MDT Print View

$200 shipping included, I'd buy a lightly used weekender. I want an extra for g/f for JMT this summer (which I'd probably sell right after myself).

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Try renting instead of re-sale on 03/28/2013 12:41:27 MDT Print View

You can rent a bearikade canister directly from the Bearikade web site.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Re: Canisters on 03/28/2013 12:53:24 MDT Print View

I also find the BearVault "latch" marvelous and happy. I personally use either my finger or the back of my Baladeo pocket knife that's clipped in my pocket to push the latch. Most of my Scouts just use their fingers and the only issue is whether King Kong cinched the threaded lid or not. It can be funny watching someone in ragg gloves trying to get traction on that lid!

After years with a Garcia, I'd give it the Leaden Standard, rather than the gold one, if only to emphasize the weight without glam. Harder to open, harder to pack, harder to get things out of, harder to find things in, heavier... With BV's holding up to California bears, marmots and racoons just as well as any Garcia, the BV vs. Garcia issue is an easily-resolved one for me.

I love that we can rent Bearikades (and REI rents BearVaults), because it's an affordable way to get one if you don't use them often.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: Canisters on 03/28/2013 14:56:26 MDT Print View

just picked up the Bear Vault solo from REI with the 20% discount.
$66.95 reg price
($13.39) discount
$53.56 actual sale price.

it's a 2 lbs chair. Smiley wink

http://www.rei.com/product/768901/bearvault-bv450-solo-food-container

while not my original intent, was thinking of multi-use gear purpose for the BV, such as collecting water in a brief moment or emergency... downside to doing that, where is your food gonna go while its purposed as a water bucket.. food is vulnerable.

for me, squirrels and stellar jays can always zero in on my food. I've even had a pacific ocean sea gull and another time a freakin pelican in the So Cal mountains. this is not their area, but I suppose strong winds, small bird brains and radio towers can confuse them.

Edited by RogerDodger on 03/28/2013 15:04:01 MDT.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
[...] on 03/28/2013 15:33:39 MDT Print View

[...]

Edited by RogerDodger on 04/01/2013 14:53:03 MDT.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Article comparing cost and volume on 03/28/2013 18:30:04 MDT Print View

Probably people get tired of Andrew Skurka getting quoted, but he did have a very good blog post on this very topic:

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/bear-canister-shopping-guide/

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: re-sale on 03/28/2013 20:58:38 MDT Print View

I bought my Weekender used here on Gearswap. The previous owner used it for a JMT hike. We agreed on a purchase months in advance. They don't pop up on swap much. When they do they go fast. For fairly close to the retail price. And why not. They don't get worn out by the average user.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Bearikades on 03/29/2013 04:00:18 MDT Print View

I have both a Scout: http://tinyurl.com/29lmaam and a Weekender. I honestly do not know how many days out with them, but a lot. I love them. We also have a bunch of Bear Vaults but rarely use them.

I have never had a bear try them out.

I can get four days of food in one (carrying the first nights meal out of it) and can get up to a week from the Weekender.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

got it on 04/04/2013 14:58:19 MDT Print View

For those of you sitting on the edge of your computer seat wondering what I decided(sarcasm). I ordered a bearikade. And the advice about the bearikade be more cost effective the bigger it is was taken into account to a degree. I ended up getting a 12.5 inch one. He had one in stock. It should get mailed out today and I'm actually more excited than I thought I would be.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

New Bearikade on 04/08/2013 21:14:39 MDT Print View

Ordered my bearikade and it came super fast. Ordered on 3rd showed up on the 6th. The below is a picture of it on my pack. It looks Hyuuuge on my little gorilla. I got the 12.5 size. Hopefully its the last bear can I have to buy.Gorilla-kade

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: New Bearikade on 04/08/2013 21:18:48 MDT Print View

Nice. What does it weigh?

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Re: Re: New Bearikade on 04/08/2013 22:31:03 MDT Print View

The site says 33.8 but I don't have a scale to weigh it with so I cant confirm it. but it weighs 6 ounces more than the smallest one and has 780ci so 280 more Cubic inches comes with that.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Bearikades" on 04/09/2013 10:12:54 MDT Print View

Josh: my Weekender is going on 12 years at least...lost count really...probably more...still going strong except that the chain joining the lid to the can is broken. I could fix it but it's not really a problem. I can't see the can ever wearing out. The only thing is that I loan it out sometimes; that's asking for trouble. So yeah the initial frightening price is worth it, imo. ( I got mine the first year that it was available, so it was a bit cheaper!)

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Dollars per ounce on 04/09/2013 11:34:36 MDT Print View

I think bear canisters come down to dollars per ounce saved and could those dollars per ounce be better put to something else in your kit. $15 per ounce on the weekender and $30 per ounce for the small one are some expensive ounces.

However the ounces are free ounces in the sense that you don't give up any functionality to save them where getting lighter in other areas might mean a less supportive backpack, a smaller sleeping pad or smaller tent.

For me I bought a Bear Vault as my frequency of use is fairly low and I perfer to spend my money on gadgets I can play with rather than a chair.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Poor little gorilla... on 04/09/2013 11:40:32 MDT Print View

Wow...that IS huge. I guess I should be glad I got the circuit...

Have you tried carrying it up there yet? I can't imagine it rides well up there, but I'd love to hear that it does....

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

"Bearikades" on 04/09/2013 13:23:03 MDT Print View

I definitely carry mine inside my pack. For 5 days I can use the Scout, which lays horizontally on the bottom of my pack and still leaves room on either side to stuff socks etc. You have to carry the first night's dinner and lunch to make this work. The Weekender "just" goes horizontal. I carry a larger volume pack precisely for the canister; plus I don't have to shmush my sleeping bag so much. Part of the penalty of bear canisters.

Edited by book on 04/09/2013 13:34:41 MDT.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: "Bearikades" on 04/09/2013 13:58:53 MDT Print View

Jeffrey which pack?? I hear most need to carry the weekender vertically.....

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

"Bearikades" on 04/09/2013 15:04:49 MDT Print View

Gossamer Gear G4. Mine is older; it may be that their newer design flares out a bit at the bottom. It's a tight fit but the weekender goes horizontal in this pack.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Carries fine on 04/09/2013 23:08:28 MDT Print View

Its solid there. I'm not worried how its going to carry, that's the only place I've ever carried a canister. Sure its not ideal to have that amount of weight on the top of my pack but hey I've never had an issue with it. I got it that size because it is more economical. For one I will only have one. I can always put less food in it but I cant always put more. I'm young so I don't know where I will end up and how big Ill need it. Second you get more space per dollar the larger it gets.

Thank you to the members that pointed those points out to me when I was looking for a canister.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Which size? on 05/13/2013 13:25:01 MDT Print View

Great thread. I'm also determining whether I can justify the expense of a Bearikade. For those that own two sizes (BV 450 or 500, Scout or Weekender), I would love to hear how much food you can get into each one. I know this is highly individualized, much like a pack, but I'm curious.

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Bearikade on 05/13/2013 14:26:57 MDT Print View

I too have the Weekender for my 7-8 day trips. The only choice for me is the Bearikade or the Garcia. I have hiked using the Bear Vault and have found it really frustrating to open at the most inopportune times. Something about those threads. So, I use a Bearikade. I used to rent but finally bought one and for the Sierra I will be using if for years to come. I like the wide open top.

I also saw that you had it strapped on the top of your Gorilla. I personally like to put it straight down in my pack, vertically. I can put it in either a Mariposa Plus or a Gorilla that way. I usually pack my sleeping bag loose, and then my clothes, then the Bearikade. I like to leave my down jacket out until I pack my canister. I then pack the jacket loosely around the canister. I have found it acts like a shield from the sun and doesn't melt my chocolate stuff too much. Gotta keep those Snicker Bars from melting!

Edited by scottbentz on 05/13/2013 14:30:45 MDT.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

outside of pack can on 05/13/2013 16:01:27 MDT Print View

yeah it does seem like most people on here choose to put it inside their pack. Ive only been on a short over nighter so far this year but it carries fine and all my food along with my seat(bear can) for a rest are really easy to get to. Also, for those of us using a smaller pack, if its on the outside it only adds to the volume of your set up. Instead of taking it away.

I am also looking at getting a different pack (granite gear blaze AC).... After having gone really light last year and the year before and with the addition of DSLR photography gear I am now wanting something with more space and a lot more load carrying capability. bottom line is I will be carrying more extras with my ultra light kit.

example: two types of fishing gear, dslr tripod and external trigger, extra lenses, Ipad, Gear for two when going with my girl friend. plus in the fringe seasons like now I find my gorilla a little loaded down with some gear I use for winter, such as my feathered friends volant pants, my long and wide down mat and extra base layers. which add a substantial amount of weight and volume. Plus as a change of pace I am going to start bringing a ton of food.

As for the can I loove it and started adding my stickers(which clearly make it lighter and easier to carry). I am also going to cut a round section of pad to put on top of it for sitting. I'm happy with my purchase and would not change anything. and I think most feel the same way.

Debbie Melita
(debmonster) - F - MLife

Locale: Northeast
Which Size? - Bearikade on 05/13/2013 16:14:42 MDT Print View

Sean, I can fit 6-7 days worth of food & odorous items in my Bearikade Weekender, and I am not a minimalist when it comes to food. I do freezer bag cooking, and my home-made meals in zip-locs pack smaller than pre-made freeze dried meals. I've always carried the Weekender on the inside of my pack; it fits horizontally in my REI Flash 50 pack, and vertically in my GoLite Jam2 women's pack, along with all of my backpacking gear (Tarptent Rainbow Solo tent, MH Phantom 32 bag, Neo-Air pad, etc). If I'm carrying less than 7 days worth of food, I'll pack as many other items in my canister as possible so they don't take up space elsewhere in my pack.

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Re: Which size? on 05/13/2013 18:59:23 MDT Print View

Weekender: between 6-8 days of food depending on what I bring. Carry it vertically inside my Windrider 3400 or my old ULA Catalyst. Usually on top of sleeping bag and clothes with more clothes or small items tucked aroundit to make sure it is centered and doesn;'tmove around. Since full it is the heaviest item in my pack I like to have it in the right place in my pack. I think the volume is ideal for me. It's a great long weekend + for a couple or longer trip solo. Think of it as a long term investment.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Re: Re: Which size? on 05/14/2013 12:18:53 MDT Print View

Thanks, Debbie and M G.

I'm finding this purchase much more difficult than others. It seems like the Scout may be the right size for me most of the time, but for 3 oz more, you get a lot more space with the Weekender. Seems like the Weekender is the better buy, as the bigger size yields greater weight savings over the BearVault line (and helps justify the cost somewhat).

On the other hand, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, you could by both size BearVaults and have cash in your hands. Decisions, decisions...

Steve B
(geokite) - F

food in canister on 05/14/2013 16:09:44 MDT Print View

I can fit 9 days of food in my weekender, but is choosing everything very carefully and there is no wasted space. Canister weighs about 18 pounds when full. It does not go on top...

Steve

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

"Bearikades" on 05/14/2013 17:05:41 MDT Print View

The smaller size of the Scout is just great for packing. I like the Weekender too but its size makes it a bit more problematic fitting in my pack. For 5-6 days the Scout is definitely my go-to canister. So yeah, depending on your pack, the size of the canister may be another factor to consider.

I've never regretted buying these. (Not both at once!)

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Bearikades on 05/14/2013 17:10:21 MDT Print View

+1 on the Scout!

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Re: Bearikades on 05/14/2013 18:02:25 MDT Print View

Btw, I noticed the Scout isn't on the approved container list. Is that an oversight?

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/containers.htm

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Re: Bearikades on 05/14/2013 18:28:23 MDT Print View

"Btw, I noticed the Scout isn't on the approved container list. Is that an oversight?"

Probably, The scout is the newest one in the bearikade lineup. I recently aquired one and when applying for a permite I have only replied "I have a bearikade" to the question " do you have a bear proof canister?". They have never asked for the model.

The Scout uses the same end cap and lid and carbon fiber tube as used on the Weekender. The only difference is that the tube is cut a little shorter. So I would suspect the Scout is just as strong as the Weekender. The External size is also about the same as the bearvault 450 which is aproved.

Edited by Surf on 05/14/2013 23:53:27 MDT.