Subscribe Forums Newsletter Facebook Twitter
NeoAir XTherm Shortened?
Display Avatars Sort By:
todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
NeoAir XTherm Shortened? on 03/26/2013 20:14:58 MDT Print View

I haven't seen where someone has shortened one and am wondering if it's because the top and bottom aren't both made of the same type of nylon, like the other Neo's are (according to the mftr website).

Is this why I haven't seen it? Or have I missed it? I really want a 6' w/extra width than the regular size.

Thanks,
Todd

Edited by funnymoney on 03/26/2013 20:18:04 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Re: NeoAir XTherm Shortened? on 03/27/2013 17:48:01 MDT Print View

Any word on this?

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: NeoAir XTherm Shortened? on 03/27/2013 18:01:14 MDT Print View

Complete guess on my part - Even if they have different weight nylons on top/bottom, I doubt they would change the method of sealing the two fabrics. Seems like this would require more tooling at the factory and wouldn't be necessary. I think it's just that hefty $180 price tag that is deterring folks. I've only seen (2) Xlite's shortened so far.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 03/27/2013 18:05:41 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Re: NeoAir XTherm Shortened? on 03/27/2013 18:13:55 MDT Print View

Yeah I agree Ryan. I'm just scared! Cutting up something that $$$$ scares me without knowing for sure.

It's not just different weight nylons, it's that the mftr describes them as different TYPES of nylon. I assume it wouldn't matter, but my Dad taught me early on what assuming can do!

Edited by funnymoney on 03/27/2013 18:15:44 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
shortened on 03/27/2013 18:19:43 MDT Print View

Todd- when you're done let us know so I can then shorten mine :)

Mike

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Re: shortened on 03/27/2013 18:34:20 MDT Print View

Ha Mike!! Thanks for your confidence :)

Did I mention I'm scared???

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Why? on 03/27/2013 18:43:13 MDT Print View

Given the xtherm is used when you need high R why would you ever want to shorten it? Seems counterproductive. I ended up ordering a short xlite today. My main reason was to save the xtherm for the cold months and put more nights on the cheaper (and lighter) xlite.

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
proper length and wider width on 03/27/2013 19:29:18 MDT Print View

He wants to cut a large Xtherm down because it is the only size that comes in at 25” wide. However, it'll be unnecessarily long, hence the cutting down to 6' in length.

Here There
(cowexnihilo) - MLife
Re: NeoAir XTherm Shortened? on 03/27/2013 19:32:52 MDT Print View

Hi Todd,

Do you own or have you used a large XTherm? The taper on the long pad is pretty aggressive, so that inflated you would only be taking off a rounded section roughly 4"x14" to make it a 6' pad (not including allowance for resealing), so I doubt there would be significant weight savings to offset the risk.

If you haven't tried one yet I bet you would be happy with the large size unmodified.

-David

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Re: NeoAir XTherm Shortened? on 03/27/2013 20:09:30 MDT Print View

Thanks David.

No, but I've used a Reg. Xtherm w/same taper. I was worried about the length more than weight in some shelters - do you know the width at the foot end?

Erik Dietz
(erikdtz)

Locale: Los Angeles
Xlite on 03/27/2013 20:24:18 MDT Print View

I just cut down my xlite last night. I was worried as well since the outside material felt different then my original neoair. However, it worked just fine.
One recommendation...measure the length you want and then cut a couple baffles lower. It gives you a little space in case you make a mistake. Plus the pad, once inflated, shrinks in length a little. Have fun!

Here There
(cowexnihilo) - MLife
XTherm End Width on 03/27/2013 20:44:39 MDT Print View

Inflated it's only about 76" to the very tip, and the last 4" almost immediately round off towards the end from a 14" width.

-David

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
NeoAir XTherm Shortened? on 03/27/2013 20:54:27 MDT Print View

Wish someone would make a decent short and WIDE pad.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
How do you seal the cut xtherm? on 03/27/2013 23:35:17 MDT Print View

Once cut how do you seal it? And how strong is the seal? A wide 6 ft xtherm would be nice.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Re: How do you seal the cut xtherm? on 03/28/2013 08:21:03 MDT Print View

EJ,

That's basically what I was asking in the OP. I'm curious if the iron will seal it like the other NeoAir's, or ruin it instead.

J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
fold instead of cut? on 03/28/2013 09:02:07 MDT Print View

What about instead of cutting, fold a few inches of the top end back over itself. This would give you a built-in air pillow for your head and cut down on functional length. I have seen this discussed, the only person who said they actually tried this said it worked. The horizontal baffles on this pad would seem to make a fold easier than vertical baffles would. Might need to duct tape the fold permanently in place to get it to hold well, otherwise could try bungee or paracord.

Not something I've done, just an out-of-the-box suggestion.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: How do you seal the cut xtherm? on 03/28/2013 11:10:28 MDT Print View

"It's not just different weight nylons, it's that the mftr describes them as different TYPES of nylon. I assume it wouldn't matter, but my Dad taught me early on what assuming can do!"

True, but the nylons aren't what is creating the seal, it's the TPU layer that's laminated to the nylon. Or at least that's my assumption for the Xtherm! I just can't imagine they would use different sealing techniques for the Xtherm vs the Xlite.

I think this is the part of the thread where some heavy peer pressure is needed. :)

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 03/28/2013 11:12:21 MDT.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: Re: Re: How do you seal the cut xtherm? on 03/28/2013 16:40:43 MDT Print View

I suspect Thermarest is not using direct heat at all but sonic welding in their manufacturing process.

mark wuethrich
(mwuethri)
Shorten Xtherm on 06/18/2013 14:27:44 MDT Print View

Has anyone actually broken down and took a swipe at their X-Therm yet? I'm contemplating doing so in the next week or so.

Andy Jarman
(AndyJarman) - M

Locale: Edge of the World
Neo Air Xtherm gets the chop. on 07/21/2013 04:34:13 MDT Print View

Suluk 460 illustrates in his You Tube video how to cut a few grams off a regular Neo Air pad;

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kumSl-cbLlY )

not to be out-crazied I tried it with my Neo Air Xtherm – guess what, it works!

Go forth gram weenies and chop away. My XL Xtherm, with all the luxury of its additional 100mm (4”) of width is now 1.2m (4ft) long and weighs 320grams (11 ounces?) I also have 220 grams of patching material left over.

Caution - the silver space blanket type layers inside are susceptible to heat damage, so do not iron on a patch if you puncture an Xtherm, it could result in your inner layers getting all stuck together and destroy the pad's shape - best use adhesive supplied.

Edited by AndyJarman on 07/21/2013 23:07:39 MDT.