Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Better Esbit Ti Folding Stove idea
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Better Esbit Ti Folding Stove Idea. on 03/31/2013 20:47:42 MDT Print View

I'm not so sure that aluminum is a complete no go for this idea. I used Home Depot aluminum flashing on a somewhat similar project and saw these results.

I was using a tray stove like the one pictured below.

Tray stove

It was set up under my 1 cup cook pot as seen in the next picture.

Combo windscreen and tray stove under 1 cup cook pot

After a test burn and boil my combo windscreen and pot support looked like this...

Coppertone patina but not destroyed

...it developed a copper toned patina due to the discoloration of the coating on the aluminum flashing material. The good news was that it maintained its shape and mechanical strength.

Combo windscreen before test burn

The ends were joined with eyelets and the holes were punched with a standard paper hole punch.

Based on my results I'm pretty sure that a serviceable focusing ring for the tri-wing Esbit stove can be made from aluminum flashing.

My combo windscreen weighed in at 7 grams. I am interested in seeing what a focusing ring made of Ti weighs for the tri-wing Esbit stove

Party On,

Newton

Edited by Newton on 03/31/2013 20:57:35 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Better Esbit Ti Folding Stove Idea. on 03/31/2013 21:15:47 MDT Print View

Newton, the advantage of the Trail Designs Gram Cracker is that it folds down to almost nothing. Yours looks like it might be durable enough, but bulkier.

Yup, you can do a lot with aluminum roof flashing. I wonder why they don't sell titanium roof flashing!

I used to call it a flame concentrator. You call it a focusing ring.

--B.G.--

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Re: Re: Better Esbit Ti Folding Stove Idea. on 03/31/2013 22:26:43 MDT Print View

I was only showing the components of what I used in my tests. I believe the tray stove puts the fuel tablet in roughly the same height from the "ground" as the tri-wing stove.

The picture of the stove was only there to show what was used and not in comparison to the Gram cracker or a Tri Wing Esbit stove.

If you view the video at...

http://youtu.be/TtECThifq70

...you'll see it was Jon who dubbed it a focusing ring. I actually call mine a combo windscreen and pot stand. Look closely in the second picture of my post, the "combo" is supporting my cook pot, resting on the reflective surface and encompassing my tray stove.

My post was meant to show that I think the aluminum can version failed only because it was too thin and not because it was aluminum. The first line of my earlier post should have made that clear.

Happy Easter Bob. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Roger Williams
(KayDub) - M

Locale: N. Idaho
Re: Re: Re: Re: Better Esbit Ti Folding Stove Idea. on 04/01/2013 10:02:45 MDT Print View

It seems like if I could mount 2 wings on the long sides of the platform, I would have a gram cracker with a potstand, & I would just use the windscreen I use with my cat can stove.
So what is the height of the pot over the Esbit when suspended in the Caldera Cone?

Thayne N
(teethless) - MLife

Locale: SF CA
super off topic on 04/02/2013 17:18:51 MDT Print View

but nice minor threat sticker ya got there Jay!

Michael Gillenwater
(mwgillenwater) - M

Locale: Seattle area
Re: Ti Esbit Wing Modification on 04/02/2013 21:24:43 MDT Print View

Any reports on progress with the ring testing. Inquiring (and lazy) minds wanna know.
mg

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Yes and no on 04/02/2013 22:43:43 MDT Print View

I'm working out a design to integrate Jon's idea with a smaller windscreen in hopes of producing a more efficient combustion chamber. I'm traveling at the moment but hope to build it next week.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Better Esbit Ti Folding Stove Idea. on 04/02/2013 22:56:52 MDT Print View

Thayne, MINOR THREAT!
Back in the Day in LA

Daniel Fish
(daniel@fishfamilypdx.com)

Locale: PDX
... on 04/02/2013 23:39:29 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 10:36:40 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Gram cracker + folding stove doesn't = Reese's PB cup on 04/03/2013 08:41:27 MDT Print View

Daniel,

I added wings to the Esbit tray of my ti wing to simulate a gram cracker and found no notable change in performance. My assumption was that it's too close to the pot. Since mine was a MYOG, I was wondering if you've tried it w the real thing and if so, what were your observations?

Daniel Fish

... on 04/03/2013 12:22:27 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/11/2013 12:48:58 MDT.

Daniel Fish

... on 04/03/2013 12:59:03 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 10:33:54 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Fuel efficiency on 04/03/2013 13:37:03 MDT Print View

I should have stated up front that I'm looking for increased fuel efficiency. Ideally I'd like to boil 16oz of 40* water with one .25oz coghlan tablet in under 13 minutes. Mu current cook set is under 6oz so I don't want to add several ozs to my kit to achieve this. I'm getting close but no cigar as of yet.

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F - M

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
Re: Fuel efficiency on 04/03/2013 14:14:13 MDT Print View

I agree, I think that the goal is to improve the fuel efficiency. I have read about people getting 4 cups to boil using a single Esbit tablet. I have never been able to do that myself. If you can boil 2 cups with ½ or 4 cups with a full Esbit tablet, show us how you do it. The idea of the focusing ring was to improve the performance of the Esbit Folding Ti stove, but the bigger picture would be to understand the burning fundamentals and make a more efficient stove. My 2 cents - Jon

Daniel Fish

... on 04/03/2013 16:22:42 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 10:31:21 MDT.

Daniel Fish

... on 04/03/2013 16:29:36 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 10:30:30 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Couple ideas on 04/03/2013 17:29:16 MDT Print View

Thinking about two concentric tubes ventilated similarly to a gasifier stove which will double as a combustion chamber and wind shield. I'm going to try this with and without the ti wing..,, when I'm done with my family vacation in San Fran that is,

I'd like to incorporate the snow peak ti bowl into this system. Seems like a better design than my SP 700 to capture the heat.

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
Engineering 101 on 04/03/2013 17:38:52 MDT Print View

"Normal people ... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."

Keep up the good work!

Daniel Fish

... on 04/03/2013 18:20:49 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 10:25:22 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: snow peak ti bowl 5" X 3" 1.6 oz. on 04/03/2013 18:31:43 MDT Print View

I've been using the Snow Peak titanium bowl for a while now with an Esbit burner. It seems to work fine.

The Snow Peak bowl has been listed several places with a weight of 1.6 ounces. That is a bit inaccurate, and 1.8 ounces is very close. For a lid, I use three layers of aluminum foil pressed together, and then a slight rim is folded. That lid is not as durable as my carbon fiber lid, but the foil can be folded and stuffed for transport.

--B.G.--