Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Separate sleeping clothes - yeah or nay
Display Avatars Sort By:
Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Active clothes vs Rest clothes on 03/26/2013 09:05:38 MDT Print View

For top and bottom layers I bring a long sleeve shirt, a t shirt, covertable pants, and base layer bottoms.

I try to have an active set and a rest set. Usually I put on the rest set after I am done cooking for the evening or when ever I get cold and wear them until I am ready to start hiking in the morning. Although some mornings I will wear them for a few hours if it is chilly.

My goal is to have a dry sweat free layer to sleep in. For me it is being dry that is important rather than wet. The base bottoms I bring as part of my sleep and camp rest system to stay warm and would come regardless. The only real redundant item I could cut is the t-shirt and just sleep in the hiking shirt but for 4 oz I bring it along.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Active clothes vs Rest clothes on 03/26/2013 11:10:53 MDT Print View

I normally just sleep in my hiking clothes. If my pants are really wet/muddy I don't wear them to bed, the rain jacket keeps my top dry for the most part. If its really hot and I expect to be sweating a lot I bring a second shirt to sleep in. I have a pair of dry camp/sleep socks too since the ones I wear during the day normally end up soaked. The one time that I will bring special "sleeping clothes" is in the winter. If I work up a sweat its nice to have a dry base layer to change into at camp. Its mostly to help me warm up but has the added effect of keeping my quilt a little cleaner.

Adam

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: Separate sleeping clothes - yeah or nay on 03/26/2013 13:54:50 MDT Print View

Alas I suffer from having sensitive skin, I can break out in a heat/sweat/salt rash with little provocation. So washing and fresh clothes are important for me.

In the warm weather when I stop I change into a pair of light nylon shorts and 4oz nylon shirt (and wash up) and let the other stuff dry out (often after washing). I sleep in the shorts and maybe the shirt.

If it's cool or cold it depends on how much I sweat. I typically change into and sleep in a pair of sleep socks and a lightweight base layer top and bottom that I normally don't wear during the day unless it gets real cold. How much I wash up depends on how brave I'm feeling that evening.

Note that I almost always share a quilt with my wife, so personnel hygiene plays a more important role than if I was alone.

Edited by ewolin on 03/26/2013 15:15:02 MDT.

Kelly G
(KellyDT) - F
Yes on 03/26/2013 21:13:23 MDT Print View

Yes, separate clothes for sleeping. I bought a silk liner but didn't like twisting around in it - so I cut out and hand-sewed pajamas from it. Silk pajamas, top and bottom, that now weigh 3 oz total. Keeps the bag clean, as originally intended.

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
Separate sleeping clothes on 03/26/2013 21:27:37 MDT Print View

I used to bring along separate sleeping/camp clothes, but lately I've just been wearing my windshirt over my hiking shirt to bed. Seems to work fine and makes getting up easier. In colder temperatures (below 25 or 30), I'll bring long johns for my legs at night, otherwise I don't bother.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Separate sleeping clothes, not really on 03/26/2013 23:00:07 MDT Print View

In a prefect world, your sleep clothing should be a coordinated part of your insulation system and sleep system, available for use whenever needed. I would not carry clothing to be reserved only for sleep.

Depending on the weather, I would normally wear a long sleeve base layer and have a fleece mid-layer and puffy layer for camp. Unless it is full-on hot summer weather I would also have light to medium weight long johns that I would wear under rain gear and/or for sleep. If it is colder than my sleep system can deliver, I would wear everything to stay warm, including rain gear. That is rare.

As far as staying clean, sure, make the effort, but don't be afraid of a little dirt. I take a sponge bath at the end of the day whenever possible. If my base layer top is too sweaty, I can always wear my fleece mid layer for sleep. I do carry spare socks and would wear the driest, cleanest pair for sleep, or both if really cold. I wouldn't be adverse to wearing gloves and hat as well.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Separate sleeping clothes on 03/27/2013 12:17:20 MDT Print View

I don't wear my outer layer to bed. That keeps most if not all of the dirt out.

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Locale: Scandinavia
Usually Yay on 03/27/2013 13:23:23 MDT Print View

Section hikes and winter, spring, and fall short UL trips I keep a pair of either merino wool or synth base layers (depending how cold it is) in a water resistant stuff sack (silnylon) which is carried inside of a seam sealed backpack. Put on the base layers before bed, and any other needed layers from clothing worn based on how cold it is. I will wear the base layers under my clothing worn in the morning and either change as I break camp/pack or on the trail as the day warms up.

Summer SUL/XUL overnight trips then no. Sleep in clothing worn if needed. I have only done overnight trips for SUL/XUL, so I have not been that dirty, thus no big deal.

In the future I might do a SUL section hike, though not sure if I would take base layer or not--it would depend on the conditions. With really warm conditions, I could get away with using just a fabric bag liner (I have a cotton and a nylon one) as a sleeping bag, in which case you can just wash it afterwards.

Never been on a thru hike, but plan on it one day--in which case I would most def take a base layer.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re on 03/27/2013 15:04:47 MDT Print View

As part of my minimal clothing kit is a lightweight set of upper and lower base layers, for layering if things are chilly. I also tend to use them as (relatively) clean garments to wear in the sleeping bag to help keep down bag grunginess. Also lets me take a lighter weight bag and lighter weight sweater, etc.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
in some conditions on 03/27/2013 17:22:30 MDT Print View

I will bring an extra sleep layer for two types of conditions: lots of rain, where I know I can't stay dry during the day; and really humid conditions, which amount to the same thing in effect. In either situation a dry layer is well worth the extra weight.