Subscribe Forums Newsletter Facebook Twitter
Can you shorten a Neoair?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Can you shorten a Neoair? on 03/24/2013 20:37:58 MDT Print View

I currently sleep on a 1st generation Neoair medium--rectangular, 20 inches wide, 66 inches. Now that I've shifted to a quilt, my arms are no longer contained as they would be within a bag, and tend to fall off the pad. I'd like to have a wider pad, but the current Neoair XLite L is 77 inches long--way long for 5'4" person. Is there any way to shorten the pad? I don't need to maintain the oval mummy shape, would prefer rectangular anyway. Seems to me that I saw someone mention using an iron to shorten a pad, but I'd be afraid of leaks. If I can find this pad on sale, that would be ideal, because they are way expensive to begin with.

Herbert Sitz
(hes)

Locale: Pacific NW
Yes. on 03/24/2013 21:03:18 MDT Print View

Here you go:

How to shorten a Neoair

I don't think I'd worry about the iron not giving a good seam; used correctly it will. Here's video by pad maker Klymit on how to shorten one of their pads. Process is slightly different (they fuse before they cut) but I think you want to cut first with Neoair because of the insulation layer:
How to shorten a Klymit Inertia XL pad

By the way, Campmor still has some of the old Neoair shorts (9oz and 47" long) and they're on sale for $80. I bought one from them recently and seems good, I'm eager to try it out: Neoair short at Campmor

Edited by hes on 03/24/2013 21:25:48 MDT.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: Can you shorten a Neoair? on 03/24/2013 21:37:18 MDT Print View

I would choose the Neoair Trekker Torso instead of doing surgery and voiding the LIFETIME warranty.

Edited by rmjapan on 03/24/2013 21:40:49 MDT.

Matt Weaver
(norcalweaver) - F

Locale: PacNW
Cut away! on 03/24/2013 21:42:38 MDT Print View

Did this on my Xlite, have quite a few nights on it with no issues. Wish I had a large one to shorten but I just used what I already had.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=73403&skip_to_post=625778#625778

Karen Kennedy
(karenk) - MLife

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics
Short wide Neo Air on 03/25/2013 03:45:45 MDT Print View

After agonising about his I finally took the scissors to a brand new XL X-Lite - it honestly took about 5 minutes! Very straightforward - result is ideal for me, 23" wide when inflated and 45" long. Weighs 275g.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Warranty on 03/25/2013 04:57:14 MDT Print View

Do consider that Cascade Designs has been know to replace NeoAir Pads that failed in one way or another even outside the warranty period, that previous models were somewhat prone to blistering/buldging, that they are expensive, and that modifying them will negate that warranty.

If the risk is acceptable then go for it though.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Can you shorten a Neoair?" on 03/25/2013 11:19:25 MDT Print View

I'm struggling with this issue, also. I just purchased a Big Agnes Q Core SL in the long/wide size. I'm only 5'5" so I didn't need the length, but wide only comes in long. I'm tempted to shorten it on arrival, but fear ruining the pad. I wish you could at least special order a short/wide pad from the manufacturers, I wasn't in a hurry.

Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
Re: "Can you shorten a Neoair?" on 03/25/2013 11:44:38 MDT Print View

Interesting thread. We were building an inflatable floor for our boats, and by happenstance the measurements are 48" x 25" inflated. A side benefit is that it could be used as a short wide sleeping pad. I am 6'2" and it fits me quite well. We are working to get the weight down (currently 16oz using 200D Nylon) by swapping fabrics. Our floor is non insulated.
Inflatable Floor

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: "Can you shorten a Neoair?" on 03/25/2013 12:03:46 MDT Print View

"I'm struggling with this issue, also. I just purchased a Big Agnes Q Core SL in the long/wide size. I'm only 5'5" so I didn't need the length, but wide only comes in long. I'm tempted to shorten it on arrival, but fear ruining the pad. I wish you could at least special order a short/wide pad from the manufacturers, I wasn't in a hurry."

I started a thread on short/wide pads a little while ago that got favorable responses. I bet there is a market for them. But I have no contacts in industry to suggest it to or knowledge of how such a thing is done. I did email Cascade Designs when I first started researching ground setups, to ask if they made any pads besides the Neoair Trekker in "Large Torso" size--25x48. The rep said no. I didn't pursue it further. But if they can make one that size I don't see why they couldn't offer more.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Oh, and on 03/25/2013 12:04:45 MDT Print View

don't worry, Rick. I haven't attacked my xtherm with any sharp objects yet.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
I did it! on 04/28/2013 17:12:25 MDT Print View

I went ahead today and shortened a Neoair large. Knocked about a foot off the length, and nearly 3 ounces in weight. Seems to be holding air well, I laid on it for about 15 minutes and didn't feel any flattening.

Now hopefully I have a comfortable sleep set-up. I sleep on my side and my stomach, and roll around a lot. I always felt like I was perched on an edge, and I think I slept rather tense, waking up frequently. Now maybe I can relax fully!

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: I did it! on 04/28/2013 18:26:20 MDT Print View

Awesome, Diane! Now you have your cake and eat it too.

I wish I were that brave.

Mark Padrnos
(banosser) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Shortened NeoAir XTherm L on 07/19/2014 19:12:33 MDT Print View

I just shortened my Large XTherm... lopped a foot off it.. it's now 64" long.. it is currently inflated with about 50lbs spread out on it.. no signs or sounds of leakage.. I'll leave it like that over night..

I used the well known instruction on this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kumSl-cbLlY
no issues..

I have been a religious Exped DM 7 user for years... am starting the Ptarmigan trav next weekend and am knocking off some wt..

If 64" ends up still being a bit too long I can always shorten it a bit more... As is it's about a full lb savings over the DM7.. and a smaller package too..

Edited by banosser on 07/19/2014 19:45:45 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Shortened NeoAir XTherm L on 07/19/2014 19:19:38 MDT Print View

Great job Mark! Glad this is working out for you.

Mark Padrnos
(banosser) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
shortened XThern Large on 07/22/2014 17:56:42 MDT Print View

XTherm
seam

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Reduce thickness neoair on 07/22/2014 18:14:20 MDT Print View

I wish it was easy to reduce the thickness of a neoair. Or that Thermarest came out with a "2 season" thin version.