Winter backpacking destinations without snow and that actually have trees?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
Winter backpacking destinations without snow and that actually have trees? on 03/24/2013 13:42:07 MDT Print View

I'm looking for some places to visit during the winter that have no snow but also actually have trees and beautiful landscapes.

I could drive like 7 miles up the coast from San Francisco and camp in the redwoods.

Big Sur doesn't really have a lot of trees.

I would like some place which I can backpack in has trees...

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Winter backpacking destinations without snow and that actually have trees? on 03/24/2013 14:22:17 MDT Print View

field guide - "winter and spring backpacking"

I probably prefer winter backpacking because there are so few people, it's not so hot, few bugs, although you have to be more flexible as far as weather goes

oops - old age is a b**** - I thought this was portlandhikers.org - well, if you go there and click on "field guide" then "winter and spring backpacking" it has some ideas for Oregon and Washington

Edited by retiredjerry on 03/24/2013 14:24:21 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Options on 03/24/2013 14:31:28 MDT Print View

I've heard good things about Point Reyes.

Snow Mountain Wilderness might work for a weekend hike. I did it in the spring when there was still snow up higher.

Beyond that I take out a state topo altas and go through it looking for trails that parallel a mountain range but are just under the snow line. Remember southern facing slopes will have less snow and the east side of the mountains will probably be drier as well.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Winter backpacking destinations without snow and that actually have trees? on 03/24/2013 14:32:19 MDT Print View

Big Basin has some good sized trees - Coastal Redwoods, and no snow. As does Point Reyes National Seashore (fewer redwoods, still some, but more oak and pine). Lost Coast to the north.

Further afield: Alabama, Georgia, Florida panhandle, Hawaii - Kokee State Park on Kaui has lots of trees, never any snow and isn't as hot as at sea level (it's at 3,000 feet up the Waimea Canyon).

New Zealand is lovely this time of year.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Winter backpacking destinations without snow and that actually have trees? on 03/24/2013 15:49:01 MDT Print View

The Ventana wilderness in Big Sur. If you explore the inland canyons/creeks you can find some decent sized redwood forests. But most the trails follow brushy ridges.

The southern district of Los Padres National forest.
The Lost Coast up north in Mendocino/Humboldt.
Cache Creek Natural Area east of Clear Lake. It's a really big place, very underused.
Point Reyes is good for an overnight.
The Kalamath area should have some places free of snow, but that's really far north.
They used to have trail camps at Hood Mountain near Santa Rosa, but I don't know if those are still open.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
trees on 03/25/2013 10:26:53 MDT Print View

I hate trees.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: trees on 03/25/2013 10:44:08 MDT Print View

I much prefer above treeline.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Winter backpacking destinations without snow and that actually have trees? on 03/25/2013 11:02:01 MDT Print View

Winter as in next winter or now?

Olympic National Park beaches and Hoh River (both WET at the best of times and more so in winter)

Oregon has a stick or two on the coast as well :) http://www.oregonwild.org/about/hikes_events

Costa Rica!!!

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Re: Winter backpacking destinations without snow and that actually have trees? on 03/25/2013 17:42:45 MDT Print View

Henry W. Coe State Park, California, not far from San Jose. Plenty of oaks, bay, and even pines.

Channel Islands National Park, California, has some oaks and pines, hike-in campgrounds, and limited backcountry camping.

Joshua Tree National Park, California, with plenty of Joshua trees :-)