Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB: Primus two burner camp stove or something along those lines...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
WTB: Primus two burner camp stove or something along those lines... on 03/23/2013 10:22:12 MDT Print View

Thought I would check here before resorting to flEabay.

I'm looking for a decent camp stove (not ultralight!) for car camping with the family and post run trailhead cooking, one that can put out 12,000+btu or more. If you have one with a burner/grill combo that would be even better.

What do you guys have stored away?

PM or email.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: WTB: Primus two burner camp stove or something along those lines... on 03/23/2013 11:46:34 MDT Print View

IMHO, many of the two burner propane stoves are cranked out by the same factory with minor changes in features. The Primus doesn't have the edge over any others, just the name.

Seeing that shipping is significant, a two burner from your local sporting goods store on sale will probably do the trick as well.

We got a cheapie at REI on sale for $39 and it's been through several roads trips and my kids borrowing it and it works great.

http://www.rei.com/product/827866/camp-chef-sierra-2-burner-camp-stove

One with a piezo electric starter would be nice. Cost aside, I would get a Coleman just for parts availability down the road.

Chris FormyDuval
(chform) - M

Locale: RTP
Primus two burner camp stove on 03/23/2013 12:59:58 MDT Print View

I'd echo the suggestion for a Coleman two burner propane. They often show up on Craigslist in the $20-40 range. White gas Colemans are also an option but that may lead you to start collecting different models(or so I hear).

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: WTB: Primus two burner camp stove or something along those lines... on 03/23/2013 14:11:14 MDT Print View

Funny you guys mention the Coleman. I just missed out on an old $25 two burner multifuel Coleman setup from Craigslist.

Unfortunately we don't have much available locally. For all the amazing wilderness we have here in southern New Mexico, securing a decent quality camp stove in our area isn't an easy affair. Hence my solicitation here. Most of the two burner Coleman's I hear tend to be rather slow cooking and making food for even a small group can overwhelm the stove.

I could go the Wally world route, but I'm leaving that as the last option.

@Chris,

I'm definitely trying to avoid collecting of any kind, especially stoves. I really want to buy right the first time. I may just have to bite the bullet and get one that can crank out some heat.

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Century Tool 2-Burner Stove on 03/23/2013 19:40:37 MDT Print View

I bought one of these online several years ago for emergency use. It's a nice design and outputs 12000 BTU.

Century Stove on Amazon