Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » thread size of pole tips

Display Avatars Sort By:
cat in grass
(newman)
thread size of pole tips on 03/23/2013 08:34:19 MDT Print View

Please advise on thread size on pole tips (for basket). Needed for CAD modelling...
I am helpless because from the 'metric world', I guess it is in imperial units?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: thread size of pole tips on 03/23/2013 09:23:40 MDT Print View

There is some varience between different manufacturers. Leki tips are different from Black Diamond whose tips are also different than Komperdall. Maybe some more infromation on your project will give better answers.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: thread size of pole tips on 03/23/2013 16:01:58 MDT Print View

Custom thread shape and pitch!

Cheers

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: thread size of pole tips on 03/23/2013 16:30:35 MDT Print View

IMO, all such threads should be "1/4-20" - 0.25-inch diameter and 20 threads to the inch because that is the female thread on the bottom of a camera and the male thread on a tripod.

Since you're going to use a thread that is about that size anyway, why not make it exactly that size and then the hiking pole can double as a mono-pod for photography.

In the mid-1980's, we stocked and sold some wooden hiking staffs that had a brass cap threaded on the top and/or a rubber cap on the bottom. Unscrewing either let you use the pole as a monopod. Wedging the pole in some rocks or lashing it to a tree gave you a tripod function for a long-exposure shots. Nowadays, digital cameras are all very low-light capable compared to films cameras, but doing a time-lapse sequence of clouds, a sunset, or camp activities can be interesting.

That said, you can often prop the camera on a rock or rest it on a signpost or duct-tape it to a tree.

cat in grass
(newman)
project on 03/24/2013 08:13:58 MDT Print View

Yes Roger, I knew You can be very cruel :) Bad news.

Ken, I am mulling over to design a pole extender which is threaded into pole's handles, or making tube insert for the pole extender which is threaded to the pole's tip, or both versions.
Definitely the best solution (even without having done FEA) would be attaching pole extender at the handle via adapter glued into them and use poles in the shelter in 'tip down' position - much better strength and stiffness due to better load distribution and adapter goes into thicker tubing plus thicker tube of extender. The downside is you need to cut handle tips to glue-in threaded adapter (with new attachments for pole's webbing) and slight increasing collapsed pole's length...
For the version attached to the pole's tip it is again an insert for the extender. The point of this version is to is keep it attached when inserting pole under shelter's canopy or pole sleeves sewn to the shelter, and eliminate extender's play due to pole tips differences, while allowing some inclination variation 2-3deg each side to avoid tip breakage.
Again, Ver.1 is waaaaay stronger and stiffer solution. This is important to me because would be used in the A-frame shelter able to withstand gale winds (I hope).

David, tripod thread sounds rational but needs to be tested for attaching pole extender into poles handle, it can have some lateral play for his application.
If thread at the pole tip is as Roger said this is not an option for Ver.1. Nevertheless I can overcome this... by eliminating thread altogether. As thread is conical and made of plastic with some elasticity I can make 3-4 conical rings inside of adapter where it come into contact with a thread, to click-lock it slightly. But such adapter has to be molded plastic than, or to be made in aluminum it needs to be CNC-milled in two halfs and than glued inside of the extender's tube.

BTW anyone knows what is the thread on top of the GG LT4's where they attach pole extender? Never seen any photos in action.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: project on 03/24/2013 16:30:08 MDT Print View

> eliminating thread altogether. As thread is conical and made of plastic
I wonder if you need to worry about the threaded part at all?

In most cases there is a parallel or tapered section below the thread and basket. The StickPic camera adapter wedges onto the parallel or tapered part below the threaded region, and grips well. In your application that might work fine? If you have a CNC you could mock up some tapers very easily.

Cheers