Thinking about making/selling UL bike gear...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jordan P
(jordo_99) - MLife

Locale: Nebraska
Status Update: Cuben arrived and making saddle bags. on 05/16/2013 12:10:45 MDT Print View

So...my 2 yards of cuben fiber (1oz and 1.43oz) arrived late last week and I finally found time to pick this up again.

I browsed around ebay and amazon before finding some 12" by 24" ABS plastic that I can thermomold into the shapes needed to add some structure to the packs. Hopefully that will be here by Wednesday and I can get those cut to size.

In the mean time I've started making some saddle bags. I'm going to make 2-3 small ones for starters to try and test a few different designs I've thought of for attaching bags to the rails...seat post will just be the standard velcro stuff.

Here's a few pictures of the basic saddle bag I've started with. I still need to attach a zipper and sew on some plastic clips, Velcro and some reflective grosgrain but I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along.

side bag

Inside

The 2nd picture has a 700c tube adn a patch kit inside. Looks full in the picture but there's still room for a CO2 cartridge.

Edited by jordo_99 on 05/16/2013 12:11:27 MDT.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: Status Update: Cuben arrived and making saddle bags. on 05/17/2013 08:55:09 MDT Print View

JP
Just a suggestion but this might be one of those areas where you can take a cue from your backpacking experience and differentiate yourself; would you add a zipper closure to your backpack? A roll closure might perform better and be less prone to eventual failure. (Although you need to take steps with rolling cuben to prevent delamination.)
Just a thought.
Cheers

Edited by cfrey.0 on 05/17/2013 08:58:56 MDT.

Jordan P
(jordo_99) - MLife

Great minds think alike on 05/17/2013 10:39:28 MDT Print View

That's actually been the plan all along for the prototype of my touring seat bag in the 10-15L range...I'm still going to keep my design a secret until I get some pictures. I don't think it's going to be anything that shocks people but rather something that would make [potential competitors] say "doh!". It's something that I haven't seen anybody else implement yet but then again that doesn't mean it hasn't been tested before and determined to be a poor design so I guess we'll see.

Update: Zipper is added to the bag and over the weekend I'm hoping to have it completed and 2 more seat bags (different size/style) done. One of those seat bags will have the design I hinted at above so I'll talk about that when I get it finished.

I should have my ABS plastic here on Monday-ish and be able to transition to the touring bag. Hopefully I'll also have figured out a few ways to improve how I make these based on experiences from the 3 small bags (which are certainly less forgiving due to the smaller pattern and tighter corners).

Jordan P
(jordo_99) - MLife

Tuesday Update on 05/21/2013 16:30:40 MDT Print View

I made a 2nd saddle bag over the weekend but didn't like how it turned out much.

Made a 3rd saddle bag today and I'm thinking that this will be what I go with just going to give it a test ride

Plastic arrived today but I haven't been home from work yet...good news is that I'll probably get my first attempt at a touring sized seat bag tomorrow.

I'll also try to take some cell pictures tonight with the various saddle bags I've made on my bike and upload them tomorrow.

Jordan P
(jordo_99) - MLife

Some Pictures on 05/23/2013 09:28:47 MDT Print View

Here's a picture of the Cuben seat bag with a spare tube, patch kit, Multitool, presta>shrader adapter and tire levers...For comparison, the sag it's replacing is also uploaded.

Old Seat Bag

Cuben Seat Bag

Cuben Seat Bag - Weight

I didn't think until now about weighing the bag it's replacing but I think it'll be close to 60g (2oz) and I'll try to remember to weight it tonight.

I'm still working on the touring bag but here's a picture of "prototype 1". Still a lot of refinements to be done with how it's shaped and how it attaches to the bike but it should give you an idea with what I have in mind. This was mostly just to get a feel for sizing.

Silnylon Touring Bag

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Some Pictures on 05/23/2013 15:34:57 MDT Print View

JP -- who makes your bicycle? TIA.

Jordan P
(jordo_99) - MLife

Re: Bike Question on 05/23/2013 16:36:27 MDT Print View

Actually, I built it up from scratch.

I ordered the frameset (Dengfu FM098) and wheels (FarSports FSC50-CM) via group buys on VeloBuild...basically a bunch of people get a company-discount from the asian supplier but the supplier ships them out individually. I bought the most of the components from forum classifieds(slowtwitch) and ebay. A couple brand new items but most were lightly used or take-off parts.

If you want to know more about the bike I'd suggest checking out this link: http://velobuild.com/6-build-photos/2044-jordo-99-fm098-build

Edited by jordo_99 on 05/23/2013 16:40:41 MDT.

Ethan Fineout
(Ethanfineout@hotmail.com)
Re: Thinking about making/selling UL bike gear... on 05/25/2013 14:33:21 MDT Print View

I'd be part of the market. I have been using DonkeyBoxx panniers that I cut the lid off of. I had Joe Valesko at Z packs make two custom fit cuben roll top bags that fit into the panniers. The panniers are really light (not so much aerodynamic at all) and could be ridiculously light if the one piece of metal were titanium instead of steel (the top of the box has a piece of steel running around all four sides to keep the box "squared". I also had Joe modify his cuben rain jacket to make it a bike jacket. I based the mods requested on a Showers Pass design. Basically I ha him add length to the sleeves, and add a drop tail. I haven't weighed it yet but I'm assuming it is pretty much the lightest cycling rain jacket out there. I have been thinking that a cycling poncho (or "cape" I think they sometimes call them) out of cuben would be great. They look ridiculous but keep you, your bike, and a certain amount of gear (whatever is on your handlebars, downtube, top tube) dry.

I think currogated plastic is a great thing to look at using. Super cheap, sturdy as all hell, lightweight. The best part is that you can get the price down to the point where you really don't mind replacing it if it is stolen or trashed. You could probably do a great handlebar box with it and attach it with zip ties

Jordan P
(jordo_99) - MLife

Very busy right now... on 05/28/2013 11:18:50 MDT Print View

...I've been in the process of moving to a new house so this has been put on hold for about a week...should be picking up again in a few days though...also I had put together another "test bag" that I'll be making a plastic insert for to stiffen up the bag and that will be the first thing I do.

On a side note...I'm thinking I'll be moving my progress reports to a blog I'm going to set up. I've got a couple different forums and the likes that I'm trying to juggle updates across and it's just proving to be a lot more work than a blog would be...plus I think a blog would be much more helpful in the long run.

Anyway, I'll keep posting updates until I get something set up.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
More Cuben gear from Porcelain Rocket on 06/23/2013 20:24:11 MDT Print View

More Cuben gear from Porcelain Rocket

http://www.flickr.com/photos/porcelainrocket/8917892955/in/photostream/lightbox/. Seat post bag, handle bar bag and frame bag.

Jordan P
(jordo_99) - MLife

Re: More Cuben gear... on 06/24/2013 08:41:36 MDT Print View

That looks really good. I'm always a bit surprised how every seat bag is designed the same way though...makes me start to 2nd guess how I'm looking at it but my design is close enough that it wouldn't take much to modify it to match the standard.

Update: This project has been put on the back burner again...basically I'm in a temporary living situation where a friend put me up for 2 months so I could avoid a short-term lease. I'm trying to keep from being intrusive and taking over a room to do some sewing and stuff just doesn't seem respectful.

Definitely still very interested in doing this but unfortunately things keep getting in the way.

Jordan P
(jordo_99) - MLife

Update: Frame and seatbags complete on 06/21/2014 10:59:20 MDT Print View

I thought I'd bring this thread back to life...I've not yet transitioned to cuben yet but I finished up a matching seatbag and frame bag out of X-Pac this week.

I wish I would've kept updating this thread with my progress but I'd had a ton of stuff going on in my life that didn't allow for me to spend time on this and I finally picked it up again 2 weeks ago. I made 2-3 prototypes and now I'm showing the final "rugged" version. I don't have weights yet but I don't expect them to be terribly heavy (probably a pound for all 3 bags -- need to make a handlebar bag still):

Here's the final prototype I did before switching to X-Pac:
Prototype -- Revelate-Style

Here's the final version...very similar to the Revelate Designs seatbag.
X-Pac (Revelate-Style)

X-Pac 2

In the seatbag (~85oz total):
Summer sleeping bag (Queen bedsheet) -- Already ordered some materials to make an UL liner (will pack much smaller and weigh 1/3 as much as my beds heet)
MYOG 2P tent (47oz complete)

In the framebag:
Empty in the pictures but I'll be storing my food and water treatment in there.

Handlebar bag will carry my cookset, sleeping pad and extra clothes.

I also realized that I wouldn't need a handlebar bag if I opted to use my hammock instead of the tent. My hammock and tarp take up slightly less space than the tent and I could fit my cookset in the seatbag as well. Then just keep spare clothes in my jersey pockets or in a "gas tank" bag.

Future plans:
- Develop/create a handlebar bag out of X-Pac
- Take bags to Ragbrai and BRAN (Nebraska's version of RAGBRAI)
- Make a framebag for my commuter/touring bike
- Make another set of bags out of Cuben
- Make a cuben "gas tank" bag that sits on above the top-tube just behind the stem/headtube.
- Re-evaluate and improve my mini-seatbags and offer them for sale online and promote them locally.

Edited by jordo_99 on 06/21/2014 11:04:12 MDT.