Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Homeless campsites---how are they different from wilderness campsites?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: It's the same on 03/21/2013 16:28:20 MDT Print View

I always assumed that most young through hikers quit their job and became temporarily homeless to hike the trail.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It's the same on 03/21/2013 16:45:02 MDT Print View

Backpacking is a fairly expensive sport to enter with the initial gear outlay with a minimum amount of calories expended to stay on the trail.

Not to be confused with the typical homeless who are likely substance addicted, but also may be traumatized from combat, divorce, or financial falling etc.... Read a story about a former Silicon Valley exec homeless in her BMW for years (and if it could happen to her...). Most will stay around shelters for free breakfast, dinner, and possibly a bunk (... not my field but I had contract social workers work for me once - that's one location they could find recent combat veterans from reserve components reported as leaving their families), maybe a PO Box for checks from a caring relative ... but not on the trail maxing out miles.

Edited by hknewman on 03/21/2013 23:32:04 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
homeless on 03/21/2013 16:51:04 MDT Print View

they arent on here yakking about what marginally lighter piece of gear theyre going to spend $$$$ on, but which isnt really any functionally better, theyre going to buy next ...

THATS the difference ;)

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Homeless campsites---how are they different from wilderness campsites? on 03/21/2013 18:06:34 MDT Print View

And here we are, sitting on the internet talking about how similar it must be to backpacking?

Shame. What a disconnect.

I'm shocked by the indifference behind this thread. It's like a bunch of noblemen strutting around during a tea party offhandedly debating whether the starving peasants outside on the street below would prefer to eat strawberry cake or crumpets with cream. It is not at all the same. Not even close. What I find most harsh is the complete lack of empathy for the despair that homelessness brings. Perhaps none of you have ever known that kind of feeling; lucky for you. But, no matter how competent you may be skill-wise, falling out of luck or becoming mentally or physically ill or losing your home (which precludes you from getting a job), can all strike a giant blow to your confidence and willingness to get back up on your feet. Sure, some of those people messed up, but messing up is what happens to us all. The consequences are bigger for some. Some never get back up. But I guess people here would condemn them for "not being strong enough".

I'd be willing to bet that there have been/ are people who visit this site who are or have been homeless. Most are never going to tell anyone. For the most part because of the reaction that some of you have posted.

I may not like organized religion, and in particular the Christian Church, but one thing that the Church has always done is recognize the frailty of our lives, and has done much to help those who are destitute and starving and homeless. Shame on you for not doing the same.

As to the statement about backpackers living off the land? I'd say 99% of backpackers have never once in their lives actually had to depend on the land for survival, and if they suddenly had to, wouldn't know the first thing about what to do to survive. Many of you would be going to experienced homeless people for advice. It's a hard, hard world out there that we with our cars, our credit cards, our ultra-modern shelters and clothes, and sacks of prepared food brought from home are totally insulated from. Lose one of those things and we are at the mercy of the real world.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Re: Homeless campsites---how are they different from wilderness campsites? on 03/21/2013 19:01:40 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by kthompson on 03/21/2013 19:20:20 MDT.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
NEW Re: Re: Homeless campsites---how are they different from wilderness campsites? on 03/21/2013 21:06:09 MDT Print View

Sometimes when I get out of the office for lunch and I'm stressed out, behind on a bill or two and just a bit depressed. I look at the panhandler
That has been trying to get bus fair for the last 3 months......
Who's the crazy one? Me or him? His day is planned before he gets up. Food, some $ shelter repeat.

I bought breakfast for a homeless engineer last summer an talked to him about how he got there. He said he he was making 250k
Good kids wife, he just quit life. Just stepped out on the road 15 years ago?

Comparing homeless and backpackers. We're all just travelers some folks just unplug or get caught up in drugs alcohol who knows.
As someone mention were all just a few steps or bad decisions away form going form a UL backpacker to a UL homeless person

In the end I chose to have some compation

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: NEW Re: Re: Homeless campsites---how are they different from wilderness campsites? on 03/21/2013 21:31:10 MDT Print View

I don't trust that most homeless people are mentally unfit. If they were "certified incapable" I'd give them money. Other than the taxes i already give them. But after seeing a couple on tv saying" they left the apt in Austin to come be homeless in Portland cause Portland takes care of their homeless" ( literally said that) i said eff it. Hey just cost actual needy people my money.

All the gutter punks and all that piss me off. ... Asking me for money... I saw on the news the other day some guy said he gets $50 to $60 every day. Thats more than me and i work.

I bust my ass for what i have. Bust yours if you want something.

Its too bad for the truly needy.

Thanks punkasses!

Some guy in portland has actually minted coins in conjunction with local businesses that people can redeem at those businesses for food and clothes and actual stuff. Not fourloco and chew.
This is a great idea. Want drug money? Here is a coin for a burrito. Lol. Smoke that

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: Re: Homeless campsites---how are they different from wilderness campsites? on 03/21/2013 23:07:45 MDT Print View

"I'm shocked by the indifference behind this thread. It's like a bunch of noblemen strutting around during a tea party offhandedly debating whether the starving peasants outside on the street below would prefer to eat strawberry cake or crumpets with cream."

Haha, not even close. We're not noblemen, and the homeless are not peasants. We all have equal opportunity, what separates us is our decisions in life, what we want out of life, or our mental health.

I think the problem with this thread is that there are so many subcategories of "homeless", and when one person says "dang homeless"(thinking panhandlers), someone responds with "how dare you, on your high horse, you have no compassion or pity!"(thinking of people genuinely down on there luck through no fault of there own).

I think you need to define the subcategories before we can reasonably try to draw parallels between backpackers and homeless. We also need to subcategorize backpackers and thru hikers.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
One thing about this thread on 03/21/2013 23:12:25 MDT Print View

It points out some people on bpl that I would rather not hike with.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: One thing about this thread on 03/22/2013 09:17:33 MDT Print View

"One thing about this thread, It points out some people on bpl that I would rather not hike with."

I know right? Good thing we found out that thru hikers are basically homeless people. Don't want to hike with homeless people, ewwww.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: One thing about this thread on 03/22/2013 09:51:43 MDT Print View

Actually the fact that someone is homeless or a thru hiker would not be the deal breaker. I like people with a heart.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Homeless campsites---how are they different from wilderness campsites? on 03/22/2013 11:13:38 MDT Print View

"And here we are, sitting on the internet talking about how similar it must be to backpacking?

Shame. What a disconnect."

Agree. Sounds like a bunch of spoiled, bully children.