Forum Index » GEAR » Still going without tp?

Display Avatars Sort By:
just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Still going without tp? on 03/21/2013 15:13:58 MDT Print View

Holy crap Batman, this is turning into a rather long thread. Well, it does remind that there are two main types of people in this world, those who are a'holes and those who think overmuch about a'holes.

On the t.p. debate, i do bring some, but recycled, non chlorine kind and tend to use very little since the squat position is, as previously mentioned, rather efficient. That and i tend to eat a VERY high fiber diet (cue putting cool looking shades on now).

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Still going without tp? on 03/21/2013 15:45:22 MDT Print View

I do both. I usually carry a small amount of TP, but I will usually use natural materials if they are available.
One thing I don't carry is soap. I use campfire ashes and water to sterilize my hands.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Still going without tp? on 03/21/2013 15:47:54 MDT Print View

You build a campfire to take a dump?

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
tp on 03/21/2013 15:50:32 MDT Print View

You actually need an amazingly small amount of TP per "session".
TP is very light. Checking the wt of a small ziplock of it at home, before and after, I found I use 0.1 oz per "session"

On the trail I go about every 2-3 days.
The amount I need for an trip, is fairly inconsequential
Im all for doing the dirty work first with a stick or such too btw.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: tp on 03/21/2013 16:06:40 MDT Print View

"You actually need an amazingly small amount of TP per "session"."

Correction -- No one needs to use any TP at all. However, you can choose to use an "amazingly small amount" -- or more.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: tp on 03/21/2013 16:28:29 MDT Print View

"I go every 2-3 days."

Wow. That sounds uncomfortably unhealthy. I'm fairly certain you cannot qualify as a true ultra-lighter if you carry all that around for days on end.

On my thru hike there was an unannounced competetion to see who could make a "movement" the most number of times in a 24 hour period.

The winner claimed 6.

I could never master the art of the afternoon-poo. Too much sun to illuminate my business. I'm strictly a morning or evening kinda guy.

Hmmm. My drift threatens to devolve this thread. Sorry.

Dale South
(dsouth) - M

Locale: Southeast
RE: Still going without tp on 03/21/2013 16:45:21 MDT Print View

After reading all of these posts I started wondering what most of the "would not go without tp" group would have done if raised in rural America in the days before tp. I grew up without indoor plumbing of any kind and we had no problem using corn cobs for years. Mot much different than using other natural materials that are found in the woods. Rocks, sticks, leaves, moss, etc. work as well if not better than tp.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: RE: Still going without tp on 03/21/2013 16:53:10 MDT Print View

Nothing works better than your hands for cleaning and tp is just a way to do that so your fingers never have to be soiled directly. You can use tp dry or damp and the right kind is soft and kind on your sensitive area. Don't know what the fuss is over if it didn't work better than sticks and rocks we would have sticks and rock next to the toilet at home but I don't know anyone who does.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: RE: Still going without tp on 03/21/2013 17:09:51 MDT Print View

Brian,

I'm remodeling the guest bathroom in a couple of months. I will suggest to the Mrs having a bucket of sticks, a bucket of stones, and a bucket of shaved snow ice.

I expected to be beaten with the sticks, pelted with stones and sleep outside in the snow.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Re: RE: Still going without tp on 03/21/2013 17:12:14 MDT Print View

"... tp is just a way to do that so your fingers never have to be soiled directly."

You may think so, but ...

Edited by greg23 on 03/21/2013 17:13:37 MDT.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: Re: RE: Still going without tp on 03/21/2013 17:15:34 MDT Print View

all joking aside, it's very interesting reading the History of Toilet Paper

paper invented in China. early mention of TP in literature 500 AD.

Before that, the Romans used a reusable rabbit-fur-on-a-stick that they dipped in highly salty water to keep the contamination minimal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper

and if you can't get enough on the subject, read up on the history of Pit Toilet and the magic of owning a pig.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: Still going without tp on 03/21/2013 17:20:59 MDT Print View

"...rabbit-fur-on-a-stick ..."

So the bear was right...

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Still going without tp? on 03/21/2013 18:25:18 MDT Print View

"You build a campfire to take a dump?"
Lol, no. In the morning I will take some ash from whatever small cook fire I made the night before or I will take ashes out of fire pits at camps. It's just one less thing I have to worry about bringing.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: trash everywhere on 03/21/2013 18:57:18 MDT Print View

Best sign in a backcountry outhouse..

"If you can't hit a 12" hole. I'd hate to see your house."

I would ratheer go outside than use most of the backcountry loos I've seen.

@Debbie. Shaving the nethers helps mitigate a couple of problems that persistantly bother women.

Nate seems to have included some personal preference on his part.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Still going without tp on 03/21/2013 19:09:20 MDT Print View

Ken, is it Spirit Lake in the Marbles that has that wooden cover over the "pit"?
Duane

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: trash everywhere on 03/21/2013 21:40:29 MDT Print View

"I would ratheer go outside than use most of the backcountry loos I've seen."

I have never and I will never use an outhouse / pit toilet to do #2. EEEeeewwww!!! Truth be told, I can't remember the last time I used an outhouse to do #1 either. The GREAT OUTDOOR is all around!! :)

Randy Thornton
(Ochocoman)

Locale: Wet side of the Cascades
Most of the world... on 03/21/2013 23:13:52 MDT Print View

Most of the world manages this without toilet paper, the trick is to be as hygienic about it as you can.

I lived and worked in India for two years and was often out of the city. I learned right away to go without TP and am glad I did: it freed me never to have to worry about it. Western style toilets were rare to non-existent in most of the places I went, including my own house.

There really several aspects to the process:

1) Learn to squat and be comfortable at it. Indian style toilets are low to the floor with foot rests to step and squat on to help you aim. We are a sitting/chair culture, not a squatting culture, but you can get used to it with practice just like anything else.

In the outdoors, try digging a cat-hole in a more rectangular shape so you can look down and see the front of it to help your aim.

2) Clean yourself always and only with some water and with one hand; your left hand is the preferred one in India, as most people are right handed. But be consistent.

3) Use water to clean that hand immediately while still squatting. Indians typically carry a small pot of water (known as a lota) for this. Houses have water taps at hand squatting level to do this.

Outdoors, put your water bottle at the ready as you squat. Pour from your right hand onto your left to clean. When done, clean your hands again.

4) Be aware of your hands. Clean them whenever practical and try to keep them clean. Indians are very aware of handedness and using their 'clean' hand for handling food, touching people, etc., around which there are numerous social norms.

I use these methods and clean my hand with biodegradable soap. I carry some Purell to clean with before I handle food or water.

Edited by Ochocoman on 03/21/2013 23:17:28 MDT.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: Southern Hair on 03/22/2013 01:12:13 MDT Print View

"Not to defend Nick, but I interpreted his comment as saying that most women don't have a furry ass whereas some of us guys do..."

Thanks Kevin. Sheesh!

Been married for 10 years and have a daughter, I'm well aware of the female anatomy. Like I said before, if you couldn't interperet my first post, I was talking about how it can be more difficult to clean a hairy ass if you have soft bowel movements, than to clean a smooth(or significantly less hairy) ass.
No question that guys have it easier in the urine department... I guess you just gotta spell things out around here.

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
less is more on 03/22/2013 02:28:18 MDT Print View

Actually, what i like the most about going No-TP, is that It's one less thing to bring. The fewer items in my pack the better.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: Southern Hair on 03/22/2013 02:51:17 MDT Print View

I'm glad to hear that's all you meant, Nick - perhaps your meaning would have been clearer to some of us if you had worded it differently, maybe substituting the word "less" for the somewhat ambiguous "shouldn't". And for me, your subsequent comments didn't necessarily dispel my original interpretation. But sorry to have jumped in and drawn so much attention to what I'd perceived as an odd comment, because your latest comment does make your meaning clear now.

Just another reminder to me that whether one is writing or reading on the internet, it's often too easy for things to seem different to a reader than they did to the writer.