Forum Index » GEAR » Still going without tp?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Americans don't know how to poop on 03/21/2013 09:15:34 MDT Print View

Is a fair statement. The toilet and lack of bidet are generally unhygienic and not anatomically ideal for efficient unloading. The eastern squatty potties seem to allow for ideal delivery of a carpet bomb, delivering a stink pickle, feeding of the fish, fighting with turdzilla, foraging for dungleberries, taking a Billy, releasing the kraken, baking a brown biscuit, having a code brown, launching a torpedo, dropping a deuce, pinching a grumpy, saying adios to Mr. Brown, and/or releasing a sewer snake.

Never pass on an opportunity to let your inner 9 y/o run wild.

Paul Mason
(dextersp1) - F
I can't squat on 03/21/2013 09:43:48 MDT Print View

I'll admit it - I can't squat. When I've try, I fall over.

Ian
"Going to try using quartered paper towels and 1/2 of a baby wipe to "clean up my act." I'm going to shop around for stuff that will quickly decompose so I don't leave any buried artifacts for future generations to unearth."

Please post when you find baby wipes that decompose.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: I can't squat on 03/21/2013 09:59:53 MDT Print View

"I'll admit it - I can't squat. When I've try, I fall over."

Haha, I still remember the first time I had to #2 in the woods. Pissed all over my pants... Totally forgot the other half of the equation, lol.

I notice a lot more women have an easier time going without TP, not surprising since they generally don't have any hair down there, or shouldn't...

For those of us who seem to have been born from apes, anything but an ideal diet can produce some difficult to clean potty breaks unless you have baby wipes or a shower.

Nate Lee
(nathan52) - MLife
trash everywhere on 03/21/2013 10:00:20 MDT Print View

You tp litterbugs should stay with your car camping fire having buck knife canned beans denim jeaned breathren and stop trashing the woods. Speak on what you know, outhouses are trashed in the woods and you're an embarrassment if you're contributing to this disaster.

Besides, much cleaner sans paper, don't be such a baby.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: trash everywhere on 03/21/2013 10:06:09 MDT Print View

Thanks for your helpful, kind words, Nate.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: I can't squat on 03/21/2013 10:15:19 MDT Print View

"they generally don't have any hair down there, or shouldn't..."

WHAATTTT????

I hope you're joking.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Chemical Decomposition on 03/21/2013 10:18:20 MDT Print View

I use a product called Gotta Go Waste Bags, however, I don't take the bags themselves just the package of powder they provide that contains enzymes and bacterial agents that speed decomposition of feces into organic soil. After doing your business you can sprinkle some of the powder, cover with soil.

http://www.greentoilet.net/products-/biodegadable-waste-bags

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Re: trash everywhere on 03/21/2013 10:19:18 MDT Print View

Little bit of a rant there Nate? Or was that sarcasm? Not sure if serious.

Not sure where you camp, but the outhouses I've used have always been in pretty good shape. Even next to lakes covered with empty worm containers and fishing line.

If you burn and bury your TP, ain't much litter left.

Some people where never taught growing up how to clean up with anything other than TP, but if you want to host a skills workshop at REI, I'm sure the classes will sell out.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Still going without tp? on 03/21/2013 10:23:40 MDT Print View

Yep.

Do my business, cup the hand and wash with water. Apply a dollop of Purell. No need to dry, unless you are wearing cotton -- heaven forbid. Polyester dries in just moments.

In my view, the best and most thorough cleaning is, of course, a full shower. Following that would be the method I just described. Pushing toilet paper around and around one's asshole cleans even less. But regardless of TP or no TP -- wash and/or sanitize your hands before returning to camp. :)

Edited by ben2world on 03/21/2013 10:26:55 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: I can't squat on 03/21/2013 10:28:50 MDT Print View

@Paul
Compostable baby wipes
http://www.elementsnaturals.com/

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Engineered cat holes on 03/21/2013 10:29:38 MDT Print View

>"I'm aware that stirring up the soup and mixing in natural material will help the waste break down quicker but I was wondering if adding a pinch of septic tank pro biotics would help speed the process along."

This comes rather close to my day job - the clean up of contaminated waste sites. Various practitioners and vendors offer their propriety bacteria that are supposedly optimized for different contaminants. The thing is, at least a dozen species of soil bacteria can metabolize gasoline and diesel-range hydrocarbons, amazing though that may seem. What you deposit is even easier for them to digest and is already loaded with bacteria.

If you want to help the process, here are things that universally help aerobic bacterial action: atmospheric air (poop in loose soil, not tight clay), water (pee in the same hole), fertilizer (pee in the same hole), and warmth (a south-facing, exposed-to-the-sun patch of soil will be >10C warmer in the summer at a 6" depth than a shaded area).

I don't suggest the following for several reasons, but if you (1) added a pinch of Scott lawn fertilizer, (2) stirred well, and (3) dusted the replaced surface with carbon-black soot (to increase solar heating); you'd increase the degradation rate at least 10-fold. Sewer treatment plants, with active management of oxygen and nutrients, can degrade human waste in about a day. In more controlled settings, I can take toxic-waste-containing water to drinking water standards in less than an hour.

An afterthought: for how helpful peeing in the hole is (especially in the dry summer Sierra), and to avoid peeing on the shorts around your ankles, how about this: Dig the hole. Pee on the spoils pile. Do #2 in the cat hole. Stir in the wettest soils. Finish filling hole. Cover with leaf litter.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: I can't squat on 03/21/2013 10:33:32 MDT Print View

"I notice a lot more women have an easier time going without TP"
Huh? I think some anatomy lessons are due here...

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: I can't squat on 03/21/2013 10:38:56 MDT Print View

"Please post when you find baby wipes that decompose."

http://www.target.com/p/attitude-eco-baby-biodegradable-baby-wipes-216-count/-/A-13313851

http://www.coolmompicks.com/2009/04/biodegradable_baby_wipes_that.php

http://ecosalon.com/reduce-your-childs-carbon-bumprint/

Because I won't be able to sleep unless I know that my pooping will meet Nate's approval, I will return to using marmots. You people with your pocket calculators and VCRs....

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Chicks use sticks on 03/21/2013 10:41:19 MDT Print View

>"It's number one that I need to figure out what to do..."

Jennifer: using grass or a twig to flick pubic hair back and forth removes most all of the urine.

>"not surprising since they generally don't have any hair down there, or shouldn't..."

Nick: Quite true for a Brownie troop or anyone posing as a prepubescent girl. But adult women are mammals, too.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Re: Re: Re: I can't squat on 03/21/2013 10:43:38 MDT Print View

"Huh? I think some anatomy lessons are due here..."

My comment was in regards to #2.

I'd have less qualms about other cleaning methods if I was just dealing with urine.

Peter (Taking a break)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Re: Still going without tp? on 03/21/2013 10:55:00 MDT Print View

Yes

Faster, lighter and cleaner for me and mother nature....and the next guy!

It's a basic skill. Learn it and don't look back.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: I can't squat on 03/21/2013 10:59:18 MDT Print View

For those that can't squat there is the Loop N' Poop or Strap N' Crap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf2OwIcgEDw

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: I can't squat on 03/21/2013 11:12:24 MDT Print View

All joking and snarkiness aside, you people have convinced me to adopt a natural cleaning regimen. I will turn over a new leaf this season.... literally.

(editor's note - no marmots were harmed in the trolling of this thread)

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Bears do it in the woods. on 03/21/2013 11:17:22 MDT Print View

>"(editor's note - no marmots were harmed in the trolling of this thread)"

The bear asks the rabbit: "Don't you hate how the crap sticks to your fur?"

Rabbit, "Crap doesn't stick to my fur."

Bear: "Good." Visual: bear grabs rabbit and wipes himself.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Engineered cat holes on 03/21/2013 11:19:58 MDT Print View

David,

Thanks for your input on this topic. I enjoy reading your comments and appreciate your technical expertise.

I'm going to use your suggestions to improve my cat hole technique but I understand that you don't suggest pro biotics or fertilizer? Is this for environmental reasons or for weight? If only a pinch of fertilizer is needed, it would seem that an oz per movement would cover it and I'd be willing to carry it if it would appreciably reduce the impact.