Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Teaching an old hunter to go ULTRALIGHT!?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
Teaching an old hunter to go ULTRALIGHT!? on 03/19/2013 20:34:03 MDT Print View

This has to go in Chaff but a story worth telling.
My father has become interested in hiking and backpacking but remains defiant to my attempts to help him lighten up,
Yes he has a tarptent, a sub 2lbs pack a 3 pound sleeping bag that he won't part with. But this past weekend I heard the strangest argument for not spending a few bucks.
I told him to pick up some exofficio briefs for our 4 day trip. He has bucked this for a while but this was his response.
He asked how many pairs of underwear to bring? Three? No just go with one and bring 2 pairs of socks.
"What, no way I'm paying 20 bucks for a pair of underwear. And I'm taking extra! I said" it's just dead weight!"
"He says I'll wear them and bury it when I change!"

Well then I started telling him about Leave No Trace, AHHHHHHHHHH !

Any other stories like this out there? Lord I hope I'm not the only one.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Teaching an old hunter to go ULTRALIGHT!? on 03/22/2013 16:39:19 MDT Print View

My dad still has his old kelty external frame pack, orange shovel, nalgene bottles, pump filter, whisperlite stove etc. I keep threatening to see how many things i can get into my pack before i get to his empty pack weight. I have seen cracks in his armor lately.. every time i tell him how light my pack is on trips he twitches a little bit. I can't remember the last overnight trip he has done so it may just take one trip to push him at least to a lighter pack and leave a few things behind.

you may be alone on the burying used underwear bit though ;)

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Teaching Old or Young... on 03/23/2013 16:40:56 MDT Print View

Many (if not most) people are creatures of habit -- and not real good at thinking outside the box without a little help.

To me, the best way to convert someone is to go hiking with him or her -- picking a trail that is at least somewhat strenuous. And just let the person pack as normal. And go from there.

Erik Basil
(EBasil)

Locale: Atzlan
Old Hunters on 03/26/2013 15:16:49 MDT Print View

Like Jake above, "My dad still has his old kelty external frame pack, orange shovel, nalgene bottles, pump filter, whisperlite stove etc..."

That's exactly my Dad, and this is the ultralight version of him. The Kelty is the one I graduated out of borrowing to get the one in the photo to the left, and replaced a heavy GI ruck he used before that. His Kelty doesn't even have a padded waist band, rather just a strap. This is a guy that climbed Whitney in 1958 with a flannel sleeping bag, steel canteens, a can of sterno and Dinty Moore stew, so his view of the Kelty, Whisperlight (okay, he bought that because it was lighter than my XGK), down bags and nalgenes are that they ARE light! Considering the miles and power he can put down on trail, there's something to this.

Oh, and when you have 80lb of deer meat to hump 9 miles back to the trucks after you hauled in 2 gallons of water and a GI shovel to bury the offal and such, there ain't no fancy-shmancy frameless packs from Cuba ( ho ho ) or titanium toil trowels at the party.

I can't tell you what a victory it was to upgrade our water containers to empty plastic gallon milk jugs and to Nalgenes from army canteens! Dad ditched the super-gnar boots for something a lot lighter, but hunters have different needs than fast-pack ultralighters, that's for sure.