Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Packing for Adventure Travel: Ultralight Tips to Integrate Wilderness and Urban Kit
Display Avatars Sort By:
Maia Jordan
(maia) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Packing for Adventure Travel: Ultralight Tips to Integrate Wilderness and Urban Kit on 03/19/2013 16:49:42 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Packing for Adventure Travel: Ultralight Tips to Integrate Wilderness and Urban Kit

Ryan C
(radio_guy) - MLife

Locale: Alaska
It works on 03/19/2013 21:48:15 MDT Print View

This article illustrates the concept of multi-use that certain core items are useful on many fronts. For general travel, I find myself utilizing the same gear elements used on a 3 season hiking trip. To some extent, it has even rolled over into my daily routine and helped simplify my life by learning that less can be more.

This technique certainly works and I try to influence my friends to do the same. You never know when an adventure opportunity may present itself!

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Carry On and Shipping on 03/24/2013 14:23:50 MDT Print View

On several trips I put all my non-TSA approved gear (tent stakes, knife, trekking poles etc) into a box and mailed it to my destination. I flew with only a carry on and skipped the hassle of checked luggage. Sometimes this approach is actually cheaper then checking a bag.

Occasionally I put a small inflatable sleeping pad in my carry on bag. If I get stranded overnight in the airport that is a lot more comfortable to sleep on.

Michael Cheifetz
(mike_hefetz) - MLife

Locale: Israel
Fuel in FedEx??? on 03/24/2013 15:27:29 MDT Print View

RJ

Are you sure fuel can be shipped internationally?

Also as side note - I tend to take some "city" clothes with me so i can be presentable and polite when i am in cities or not hiking - but the stuff is heavy - so i usually leave it at my last hostel or similar inside the big duffle bag. if there is no organized place to leave it i use Paddy Dillon's advice and hide it somewhere that i can get back to (under bridge, rocks etc) - this is stuff that i can usually replace if i have to (jeans etc

Mike

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: Carry On and Airline Security on 04/07/2013 21:01:03 MDT Print View

I figure not many people carry-on-only for international flights.

If you do only carry on for international flights and plan to just check in on-line and print a boarding pass, be sure to check with the airline to see if they have any security questions to ask.

They will sometimes have questions to ask and if you try to board without their sticker, you will be turned away. Even if you went through airport security. Oops.

I haven't shipped to 'wherever', but I have shipped stuff home when I am finished with it. Hasn't occurred too me to ship fuel. I have bought fuel or rubber mats and then left the remainder behind on the share shelf at a campground. Remainder of fuel. Mat was in one piece.

Oh, everything I take is about the same color. gray, tan, sand, etc. I suppose it would be the same if everything I wore was purple, but that would be weird. Wearing tan and gray is probably weird. No colors makes things easier to wash. I do the laundry thing... Have washed a couple shirts in the shower with me at the same time. Worked well enough. Never used a sink.

Edited by Tan68 on 04/07/2013 21:23:38 MDT.