Forum Index » Gear Lists » Critique my CT/JMT-Thru List

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Zion
(mzion) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
Re: CT on 04/01/2013 19:13:37 MDT Print View

Allen and I hiked in '11 which was an epic snow year so water was no issue - I did do a 16 mile stretch w/o water to get to Apple's little outpost before he left for Gunnison. That said having 3 or 4L capacity is a good idea even though you will likely use it only once or twice on the hike.

As for your updated list you have too many clothes. Sleep clothes = pajamas = Don't need. From the looks of your list you don't want to be cold - I understand but pants + thermals is probably more than you'll need and a silnylon raincoat will feel like the surface of the sun zipped up while your hiking so you could probably lose the down jacket too. Feel free to ignore me now but when your out there try going w/o some of those layers and you might find it simpler and preferable.

Edit:
I have 6k miles without treating water and the CT's water is some of the cleanest you'll see - don't sweat whatever treatment option too hard. But do pay attention from source to source b/c almost the entire trail is used for livestock grazing.

And you may have found already but Mag's website is what I planned my entire trip with.
http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2

Edited by mzion on 04/01/2013 19:18:23 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re CT on 04/01/2013 19:47:18 MDT Print View

Matthew when did you hike the CT? I chatted with two northbound hikers, at least one had a SMD Starlight and one was wearing New Balance Minimus shoes, I remember discussing minimal shoes. Was that you two?

Matthew Zion
(mzion) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
Re Re CT on 04/02/2013 17:24:27 MDT Print View

No, I hiked solo. Just knew Alan from mutual acquaintances and speaking post trail.