Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
WTB - Friends, trekkers, countryment...sell my your sub-3.5 lb packs...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bryan Oliphint
(HotTub) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Texas
WTB - Friends, trekkers, countrymen...sell my your sub-3.5 lb packs... on 03/19/2013 08:50:03 MDT Print View

Continuing my quest to gear up 7 teenagers and 1 other adult for a Canadian hiking trip, I am looking to BUY FOUR MORE BACKPACKS. Here's what I'm looking for:

>below 3.5 lbs (a shade over ok, but not much!)
>internal frame
>pretty darn big...50 L +
>beat-to-heck...or new, doesn't matter, as long as it's functional and the hip padding isn't shot.

So sell me your old Deuter ACT Zeros, your Granite Gears, or similar packs. Time to dig deep in the closet and PM me your best deals shipped CONUS.

(My zip is 77611 if that helps with shipping guestimates).

Edited by HotTub on 03/19/2013 08:51:48 MDT.

Bryan Oliphint
(HotTub) - MLife

I keep "editing" the original post...and it keeps coming up "countryment" on 03/19/2013 08:57:35 MDT Print View

Countryments are like countrymen, I suppose, but smell less like hikers.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
WTB - Friends, trekkers, countryment...sell my your sub-3.5 lb packs... on 03/19/2013 09:02:04 MDT Print View

You can't change the original post heading, for some reason.

But "countryment" does lend this thread an air of sophistication.

Bryan Oliphint
(HotTub) - MLife

Have had a couple offers...keep them coming! on 03/19/2013 21:35:13 MDT Print View

Picking up a Z55, considering an Osprey...y'all keep 'em coming!

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
WTB: Friends,, trekkers countryment...sell me your sub-3.5 lb pack on 03/19/2013 23:08:34 MDT Print View

PM Sent ULA P2

Bryan Oliphint
(HotTub) - MLife

Still in the market for 2 more ! ! on 03/21/2013 21:19:17 MDT Print View

I've bought two and am considering two others...but if anyone else wants to offer something up from the dust-covered back of their closet, here's your chance.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
re on 03/21/2013 23:01:48 MDT Print View

why not go frameless? Im sure they will like it more, keep in mind some peoples baseweights here are 3.5 pounds.

Since you guys will be sharing shelter/ cooking im not sure what you need that much volume for.

Bryan Oliphint
(HotTub) - MLife

Re: going frameless on 03/22/2013 07:28:16 MDT Print View

Short answer regarding frameless: I simply don't like frameless.

As for volume, my (much longer) answer is a little fuzzier--and you may be right.

All tents are HS Tarptents (sorry, no tarps, gotta block the bugs). All the sleeping pads are full-length el cheapos that strap on the outside of the pack (sorry, can't sleep with my feet on the ground--or ask others to do so). Mess kit is compact enough (though not as titanium as I would like it to be). First aid and general ditty bag stuff is much more expanded than what I normally carry, since I am taking somewhat inexperienced teenagers who might be accident prone (testing, testing: does Axe body spray/deodorant/shampoo/etc. attract bears? We are DOOMED!). I can't afford good sleeping bags for this trip, so we're doing $30, 3 lb sleeping bags, which don't compress worth a crappola (aarrggghhh). In general, teenagers pack too many clothes, too much food, and tend to haul stupid crap (yes, one is bringing a hatchet).

Still, none of this explains the volume I'm collecting here. Hmmm...

Joe Lynch
(rushfan) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
try a pack list for the kids on 03/22/2013 15:47:11 MDT Print View

As a scout leader who has to deal with teenagers packing on a monthly basis, you can guide them to bring much less junk. Give them a minimal pack list and do a gear check before you load up the cars. You will be amazed at how much lighter their packs will be if you help them eliminate the extras...

Also, make sure that the kids pack their own bags instead of having their moms pack for them.

Good luck. Should be very rewarding to all.

Eric Johnson
(unimog) - MLife

Locale: Utah
Show them your pack list on 03/22/2013 16:30:37 MDT Print View

Another thing another Scout leader showed me is he takes his pack in completely packed and takes it all out in front of the boys, showing them everything he takes. This helps them visualize what they might not need. Still do a list, but this helps them associate their own stuff with what the list says.

Bryan Oliphint
(HotTub) - MLife

Just...ONE...more on 03/23/2013 12:20:02 MDT Print View

I just need ONE more !

(though I have a couple of higher end packs to consider...but am unsure about spending the $)

And thanks for the advice from the experienced troop leaders. This gang I'm taking is all 16 years old and grew up together, spending enough time at my house that I should have been able to claim every one of them on my taxes. I'm just evil enough to let them carry what they want...for a week...so they never forget the lesson.

Another evil side note. Each person carries one group dinner. We carry a set of dice. Everyone is assigned a number, we roll the dice, and that person's dinner gets eaten, therefore lightening his load for the remainder of the trip. Now here's the evil part. There are only nine of us, so if a 10, 11, or 12 is rolled, then a selection process begins...and somebody's prized 16-year-old almost-mustache gets waxed off right there in camp. That is, of course, just one example of what might await them. FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST MORE IDEAS...

Oh, and offer up ONE MORE PACK for a fair price from the recesses of your dusty gear closet!

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Just...ONE...more on 03/23/2013 23:28:48 MDT Print View

Bryan,

I just PM'd you about a pack.

susan