Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Sailright Ultrafeed vs home sewing machine for Bilgy Tent
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Sailright Ultrafeed vs home sewing machine for Bilgy Tent on 03/18/2013 11:54:01 MDT Print View

My girlfriend is sewing us a Bilgy tent and has a question for the sewing guru's
--

I bought a bilgy kit from quest outfitters and would really like to start work on it while I have this week off. I am trying to figure out how to use my mother’s sailrite ultrafeed, but am struggling with adjusting the tension properly. I also have a home sewing machine from the 90s that belonged to my grandmother. I used it to make a kite from rip stop a few weeks ago and it did okay and is generally an easy to use machine. Is it worth wrestling with the sail rite so I can use the true walking foot, or should I use the home machine and possibly get a Teflon, roller, or walking foot for it.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Sailright Ultrafeed vs home sewing machine for Bilgy Tent on 03/18/2013 16:22:19 MDT Print View

Don't know the Sailrite.
But a domestic machine WITH a roller foot should do fine.

Cheers

Michael Pappas
(Mpap89) - F

Locale: bay area
ditto on 03/18/2013 23:28:23 MDT Print View

in my experience, sewing lightweight fabrics is more trouble than it's worth with the sailrite. I too had trouble getting the tension right for silNylon.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Sailright Ultrafeed vs home sewing machine for Bilgy Tent on 03/19/2013 01:15:09 MDT Print View

I looked the Sailrite ultrafeed up on their web site.
From all I could read, I don't think this is the right machine for silnylon. 12 oz Duck, sure. 4 layers of solid nylon webbing, equally.

Cheers

Ryan K
(thesergeant) - F

Locale: Ryan
Home Sewing Machine on 04/03/2013 00:50:17 MDT Print View

I own a Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1 and a couple home sewing machines. Without a doubt go with a home machine for sil. I'm becoming less and less of a fan of my Sailrite and it certainly isn't the best tool for sil, ripstop, or even 500d/1000d cordura.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Home Sewing Machine on 04/03/2013 08:55:09 MDT Print View

I'm also looking for a nice home machine that will do Silnylon, I've been looking at the Janome HD 1000 and the Juki TL98Q. Does anybody have any thoughts on these machines? I like the Janome a little more because of the zigzag feature, but the Juki also has some great features, but it's only a straight stitch.

Jack

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Home Sewing Machine on 04/03/2013 09:07:55 MDT Print View

I have a Janome that isn't made any more. I have used it a lot without any problems. I have never serviced it, except I vacuumed it a couple times.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Home Sewing Machine on 04/03/2013 10:12:56 MDT Print View

Update: So far she has had no problems with the normal home machine with the roller foot. she started a new job last week and then got the Flu this weekend so progress has slowed a bit. Not going to use it for a while anyway so that isn't a big deal