Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Dehydrating baby food . . . Pointers?

Display Avatars Sort By:
patrick agius
(Streamline) - F
Dehydrating baby food . . . Pointers? on 03/17/2013 18:25:04 MDT Print View

My wife is a big coupon queen and is constantly getting baby food for next to nothing or even free. Tonight I was unloading the car and she had a back with baby cereal, oatmeal and various foods such as squash, sweet potatoes . . . you get the point.

So the light bulb lit up above my dense knoggin and I had a thought. How easy would it be to create various types of bark for backpacking. I could also make fruit leather and this stuff is fairly great stuff with little additives. How nice would it be to add some whole grain cereal to your mash potatoes flavored with squash . .

So of course I came here to pick the brains of the geniuses. Any pointers? Anyone tried, failed, still do this?

I fully believe in standing on the shoulders of those who have come before me so any pointers/time savers would be greatly appreciated..

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Dehydrating baby food . . . Pointers? on 03/17/2013 19:51:34 MDT Print View

It has seemed to me that one primary problem with baby food is the high normal cost, and you have that beaten.

In the old days, some baby foods were freeze dried in flake form, and they were good as flavor additives to more conventional backpacker foods. I haven't seen them in a while.

--B.G.--

patrick agius
(Streamline) - F
Coupon'ing pays. on 03/17/2013 20:48:07 MDT Print View

My wife amazes me with the coupon'ing. Tonight she bought $120 in groceries and saved $135. It really helps the budget. And our friends love the freebies they get. Christmas time everyone gets 6 months worth in hair products, deodorants, dental products and lotions. People don't realize how much they spend on these things until they go 6 months before having to purchase them again :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: Dehydrating baby food . . . Pointers? on 03/17/2013 21:42:11 MDT Print View

Freeze dried baby food does exist. You can get it at Baby r' Us.

Anyhow, on the baby food in jars and tubs? Yep, spread on parchment paper and dry at 135, then powder. You can add it to instant potatoes, rice, etc. Easy-peasy!