MYOG ergo trekking pole grips. Which materials? Also, attached pic.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
MYOG ergo trekking pole grips. Which materials? Also, attached pic. on 03/17/2013 17:53:30 MDT Print View

I made this grip today from minicell foam. As suspected, it's a little squishy.

To stiffen it, I thought about adding that plastic coat stuff people use for tool handles and such....but I have never used it before...and am concerned with it being heavier than I'd like. Also thought about the truck bed liner spray on stuff...but have the same concerns I do for the previously mentioned stuff.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I could stiffen this grip ...or ideas for a firmer material I could carve another grip from that would also be light?

grip

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: MYOG ergo trekking pole grips. Which materials? Also, attached pic. on 03/17/2013 18:05:38 MDT Print View

"or ideas for a firmer material I could carve another grip from that would also be light?"

Cork.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Re: MYOG ergo trekking pole grips. Which materials? Also, attached pic. on 03/17/2013 18:52:23 MDT Print View

From something like this: http://www.wholesaleyogamats.com/ideal-3-cork-block/?gclid=CNPPruWFhbYCFch7Qgod7H0A8w ?

Thanks. Thought of that initially but was thinking it might not sculpt well with a rasp, sandpaper, etc. But then again, I have no experience working with it.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: MYOG ergo trekking pole grips. Which materials? Also, attached pic. on 03/17/2013 19:36:40 MDT Print View

nevermind..

Edited by JakeDatc on 03/17/2013 20:59:17 MDT.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: MYOG ergo trekking pole grips. Which materials? Also, attached pic. on 03/17/2013 20:41:41 MDT Print View

"for almost the same price but less work.. unless you like the carving part :)"

Almost the same price for what? I have tons of minicell foam so no costs there...and I enjoy carving. With a bandsaw and rasp, it took me 10 mins, tops. And did I mention that I enjoy carving?:) And I enjoy saving money...so those GG grips at $22 + their notoriously spendy shipping...well, I'd rather spend that money on something I can't or don't want to make. Besides, the holes in those GG grips are larger than my pole so there'd be retrofitting involved on top of their $~30 price...and I only need one. ;)

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MYOG ergo trekking pole grips. Which materials? Also, attached pic. on 03/17/2013 20:57:54 MDT Print View

about the same as 2 blocks of the cork.. unless you could get 2 out of one block?

except i didn't notice that the cheap shipping was for $10 or less.. that is kinda cheesy.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MYOG ergo trekking pole grips. Which materials? Also, attached pic. on 03/17/2013 21:12:30 MDT Print View

Oh, I see what you're saying. Those blocks are 3" x 6" x 9"....so I'd have enough for ~3-4 grips. And I could buy a block locally to save shipping costs.

Maybe the squishyness of the grip I made won't matter once I get a strap on the pole, I don't know.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
try the straps on 03/18/2013 09:25:12 MDT Print View

personally, i don't grip my poles other than to guide it between my thumb and forefinger. I put my actual weight on the wrist strap. If you use yours like I do, then the squishiness may not be an issue once the straps are on.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

New grip on 06/05/2013 10:53:10 MDT Print View

Well, here's what I came up with: Another minicell foam grip...a bit larger this time, more ergonomic, and tailored to my left hand (I'm only using one pole now...in my left hand).

Yes, it's a little squishy...but as Nick mentioned, I rationalized this would be a non-issue with the strap which, I also made. The asymmetrical left fit is awesome. I could sand the foam a bit more for a more finished look....but I don't think I care.

Total weight of this Ruta Locura (formerly Ti-Goat) adjustable pole, w/ MYOG grip and strap, w/o the basket = 3.79 oz.

grip

Edited by rustyb on 06/05/2013 11:13:13 MDT.