Great Finds
Display Avatars Sort By:
Richard Gless
(rgless) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Great finds on 04/26/2007 00:46:27 MDT Print View

On my 1970 Muir Trial hike, my buddy and I climbed an unnamed third class peak and found a tobacco can register with the last entry from 1932. In 1997 I went back with my wife to see if it was still there. The original register was gone. The peak had been discovered by the boy scouts, and a much newer makeshift register had names from various troops as well as other climbers. Oh well...

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Kevin, agreed; thanks for the comment. on 04/26/2007 01:35:59 MDT Print View

This is why:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/blake_morstad_memorial_endowment.html

I can tell you only joke about these things because you also go in harms way. Could happen to any one of us.
Next month I'm walking an alpine massif ridge between two 'counties'; people told me in all seriousness; if you fall- fall to the left; that county has helicopters and trained resuce personnel!

Edit: Agreed, Kevin; I have had similar experiences. Sorry to presume to tell you what to do.

Edited by Brett1234 on 04/26/2007 22:05:44 MDT.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Callous? Distasteful? on 04/26/2007 08:02:42 MDT Print View

I wouldn't know which post to edit. ;-)-

Brett, I lost one of my closest friends in a climbing accident. I have almost died on a mtneering trip. For me, black humor is sometimes the best medicine for extreme events.

Believe me, I observe death in the backcountry as a tragedy, the individuals concerned honored, learn from their mistakes (if any) and then move on.

Shawn Basil
(Bearpaw) - F

Locale: Southeast
Callous? Distasteful? Not at all.... on 04/26/2007 12:23:04 MDT Print View

I understand perfectly well where you're coming from. The unit I was in during my Marine Corps career saw a number of us maimed or killed in parachute training, livefire exercises (up to and including 2700 pound battleship rounds), and , oh yeah, I almost forgot about actual combat.

The best way to deal with the prospect was to laugh about it. Whenever I watch the 13th Warrior and see the Norse warband laughing in the midst of some pretty horrific situations about likely death and dismemberment, I can't help but think of the Marines in my A/NGLICO unit. It was probably the most sincere, intense, and therapeutic laughter I've ever experienced.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Great Finds on 04/26/2007 16:23:42 MDT Print View

I'm sure there would be mixed reviews of people levels of humor if everyone on BPL were following this thread, yes. I'm of the opinion that if you can find humor in all there is out there then you're missing out on something.

I read Alpinist magazine and it seems as though the writers and editors of that fine publication basically take death as a natural, assumed part of mountaineering. Considering the high fatality-rate related to alpinism I suppose they do so with rights.

In issue 18 or 19 there was an article about an individual of very little fame who climbed for himself and for whatever reason ended up the feature of a story. He and the author whilst working peaks took to humorously changing out the words phrases "on belay?" and "belay on" with "death?" and "death on". Talk about dark.

ian wright
(ianwright) - F

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980
good finds on 04/26/2007 21:04:07 MDT Print View

this is the coin I found.
Could be 1 year old or 1000,
does not matter.

old coin

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Shawn, 13th Warrior on 04/26/2007 21:24:02 MDT Print View

Shawn; soldiers have a tendency to joke and complain about everything. When I was in a leadership position, I only worried when a soldier STOPPED complaining and joking; that was a warning sign.

My favorite line from 13th Warrior(Im fairly certain..) is the exchange: "This sword is heavy!" which gets the curt reply "..grow stronger."

Stephen Eggleston
(happycamper) - F

Locale: South Bayish
RE: Great Finds on 04/27/2007 23:07:39 MDT Print View

OK, to go with Sarah's gross out find...

I was in Yosemite and while hiking to Victoria Falls(i think I got the name right) I found a big pile of steaming human crap in the MIDDLE of the trail. Wow, they didn't even try for the side of the trail! Yes, I left it there!

Kim Grant
(Kimberlymae) - F
Water on 05/06/2007 23:25:11 MDT Print View

Best backpacking gift was water. There is filterable water at the the top of Mt. Timpanogos (Salt Lake City). There's a pond up there fed by permafrost. I carried 8 liters (drank 4 en route) and was very happy to learn there was "extra" water for dinner, washing up, and refilling for the trek down.

Second was 2.5 gallon jug that I had stashed in a tree at a camp site. I left it as a "gift" for the next person to use the site as a base camp. Six months later, the same jug was nice and secure where I'd left it, along with the firewood we didn't burn. It was a surprising 10F hotter than we'd planned, and we drank every last drop of the extra water (4 day stay).

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Locale: Ruta Locura
Re: Water on 05/24/2007 20:12:01 MDT Print View

Contents of an individuals pack stewn 800 feet down talus and cliff, they found the owner a month later.

One suicide victim.

Boy scout with mangled leg half buried in talus, he was alive.

Very, very old bison skull.

Leg hold trap, with bones, at the bottom of a mtn lion den.

About 40 flint and obsidian knives and points.

#30 conibear trap under a cut stream bank, I reached into it while attempting to tickle fish.

6 moose horn sheds on one 200 yd stretch of trail.

1 set of hunter orange horse panniers, torn to pieces. There were reins tied to a tree about 15 feet away that had been cut, looked like it was one hell of a rodeo.

1 four wheeler about 1 mile off the designated trail, they had a hard time getting it out.

Very accurate 100 year old map carved in aspen tree, the hotel/brothel wasn't standing any more, but the fishing was good.

Some other individuals have found a grey wool beenie, a red pyramid tent, and 2 pairs of sun glasses, I hope they are getting good use.

Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Locale: Salt Lake City, UT
Old thread... but thought I'd ressurect it. on 11/07/2007 14:54:01 MST Print View

I found an old book written in Hebrew while hiking in the "jungle" in Hawaii. I collect old books and manuscripts, so I was pretty stoked.book

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Great Finds on 11/07/2007 16:03:17 MST Print View

Ryan,

Considering your hobby, that is really cool find! I'm not sure if I have much to add to this thread. I suppose I found a nice Under Armour shirt a few years ago and an mp3 player and cell phone this summer.

- Sam

Margaret Snyder
(jetcash) - F

Locale: Southern Arizona
Trail Loot on 11/07/2007 18:05:57 MST Print View

I gotta get out more to compete with you guys! My list pales in comparison.

I found:
a lexan mug in Haleakala Crater, HI.
a pure white chalcedony paleo-indian scraper in the Grand Canyon.
other assorted paleo-indian tools in Canyonlands (I used to study anthropology).
TONS of rocks, fossils and crystals everywhere (I'm a geologist by training) which I don't keep or I would have a U-Haul full.
Half a 1/5 of whiskey (YAY!) on the AT in NY.
Lots of trash

chris Mcfarland
(pecos)

Locale: baba yaga's porch
ice axe and marble on 11/09/2007 00:20:00 MST Print View

who ever droped it didn't want to climb down and pick it up. its a brand new black diamond raven, i think. also,at the peak of "suprise mt", a single marble sitting on a rock, its now my favorite aggie.

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: ice axe and marble on 11/09/2007 08:01:10 MST Print View

I found this ski last weekend. A sweet Dynastar. It was at about 5000 feet below Mount Hinman in the Necklace Valley in Washington. It was at the base of the talus slope in the back, to the side of the snow field on the left. We hauled it out...but I'm sure that the owner was REALLY BUMMED to lose it when spring skiing.

Anyone need one Dynastar with a broken binding?

dfsdfwewww

Edited by djohnson on 11/09/2007 08:03:37 MST.