Great Finds
Display Avatars Sort By:
ian wright
(ianwright) - F

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980
Great Finds on 04/25/2007 06:00:18 MDT Print View

What's the best thing you have found while out on the trail that you have kept? Maybe a crystal or a fossil or a bone. Many years ago when I hiked from Darjeeling toward Kungenjunga (sic) I found an old coin. But it's just a round bit of copper so worn out that there is no detail at all. But I found it way out in the middle of nowhere so to me it's a great treasure !

You ?

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Great Finds on 04/25/2007 08:42:30 MDT Print View

Several things come to mind:

Once I found a perfect coyote skull.

In my garden I have two whale vertebrae, found on the Lost Coast.

Once, while hiking back to our cars, after running out of food, we found an unopened package of figs and another unopened package of Twinkies. What a feast. Though I'll never eat a Twinkie again. They were yucky and delicious at the same time.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
rare finds on 04/25/2007 10:28:31 MDT Print View

I once found on top of an undisclosed ridge in the Sierra ( reached via 4th class rock) an 18 in. long, 5 in. wide nearly perfect smoky quartz crystal, just loose lying on a sandy patch. I left it there and not because it was heavy...

John Mowery
(Mow) - F

Locale: Minnesota, USA
Rare finds on 04/25/2007 11:47:21 MDT Print View

I found a tomahawk head with some cool engravings, a perfect quartz hide scraper, and a quartz mallet somewhere in Wyoming. All of which are exactly where I found them.

The coolest find I've ever heard of: a friend found a perfect obsidian arrowhead in Texas - that's a long way from Yellowstone.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Great Finds on 04/25/2007 12:38:19 MDT Print View

An awesome Underarmor t-shirt which I took and an OR rain sombrero which my ex took was found along the trail in the Upper Nyack drainage of Glacier National Park.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Great Finds--the dark side on 04/25/2007 12:44:56 MDT Print View

Oh, yes. I forgot about my seasonal pillaging of dead avalanche victims of their personal effects. :-) Backcountry Helpful Hint # 342--Snowmobilers carry more cash.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Great Finds on 04/25/2007 12:59:33 MDT Print View

I found one of those little rubber band thingies Leki sold to keep your trekking pole together. I gave it to my brother because my poles came with something like that and his didn't. I've seen some strange articles of clothing at campgrounds too. Skimpy women's underwear tops the list in that department, she may have been missing clothing but it wasn't a whole lot of fabric ;). That's about the extent of my findings.
Kevin, I've often wondered what I would do if I found a dead hiker in the woods. (My mind wanders a lot when I'm alone) Obviously I'd notify the authorities and mark the location on a map so they could be recovered but I don't know if I'd scavenge his(or her, I suppose) pack for gear. Of course if I were in a survival situation I would do it since its a matter of life or death and there could be something that could save my life. Is it wrong to want to acquire more gear, even if the means are a little shady? I think the guilt of taking a dead person's stuff would get to me after a while and I'd probably return it.

Adam

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Black Humor is the new black ( design humor) on 04/25/2007 13:26:11 MDT Print View

Perhaps my sense of humor is too obscure or edgy? :-P

Glenn Roberts
(garkjr) - F

Locale: Southwestern Ohio
Re: Black Humor is the new black ( design humor) on 04/25/2007 13:33:56 MDT Print View

I started a great rock collection in my buddy's pack once...

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
i've found a couple pocket knives on 04/25/2007 13:41:40 MDT Print View

(swiss army type)

a small fishing kit

bugnets

a flashlight (small aluminum tube type)

tent pegs

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Dark humor on 04/25/2007 13:58:33 MDT Print View

Don't worry Kevin, unfortunately I'm not able to convey sarcasm over the internet very well. Of course I wouldn't steal stuff from a dead person's pack. Unless it was really dang cool...

Adam

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Dark humor on 04/25/2007 15:19:47 MDT Print View

Adam wrote above: " I think the guilt of taking a dead person's stuff would get to me after a while and I'd probably return it".

Umm... after stealing/using the stuff for a while, whom would you return them to??? :)

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Re: Re: Dark humor on 04/25/2007 15:39:04 MDT Print View

I'm sure I would get the name of the person (they should have some kind of ID on them right?). From there it wouldn't be too hard to contact the family and say "Uhh... I kind of stole some stuff from your recently deceased, do you want it back?" Maybe I would donate it to Goodwill or a Scout troop.
That's probably where my stuff would end up if I perished. No one else in my family does enough hiking to want to keep it so they would probably just give it to my old scout troop.
Maybe I took that particular thought a little too far. Sorry about that (I do that from time to time, I just need to be hit and told to stop).

Adam

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Dark donations on 04/25/2007 16:01:44 MDT Print View

Perhaps, for those of us without heirs to will our backpacking gear to, could wear donor cards, in case of a terminal backcountry mishap---- stating "here I lie, pillage at will, happy trails".

Edited by kdesign on 04/25/2007 16:03:30 MDT.

Stephen Eggleston
(happycamper) - F

Locale: South Bayish
RE: Great Finds on 04/25/2007 16:17:29 MDT Print View

Alright, back on track(I have no dead people jokes, HAHA)!!

I've found three pocket knives and counting.

Crystals and arrowheads(don't always keep those.)

A HUGE beartrap(definitely didn't keep that.)

A aluminum cookpan with many holes in it made by bearteeth(put it down and walked away quickly.)

A big patch of fresh nettles(my favorite and tastiest find, nothing like fresh steamed greens in the woods!!)

Edited by happycamper on 04/25/2007 16:18:52 MDT.

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

Locale: dirtville, CA
Re: Great Finds on 04/25/2007 16:27:11 MDT Print View

in the San Mateo Canyon Wilderness, somebody nailed plastic dinosaurs to old fence posts in out-of-the-way areas. i've seen two of them, but am told there are more. i also just read in the LA Times that a couple of hikers have found two miniature villages (one Easter-bunny themed, one Christmas themed) hidden away in undisclosed off-trail locations. now i have to go look for them! oh, i didn't keep any dinosaurs. ;) i also once found an altar/shrine type thing hidden in Joshua Tree NP. didn't take anything.

i mostly just keep stuff that needs to be packed out anyway. old aluminum stakes, busted plastic stakes... on our last trip somebody had either left or forgotten a really lousy foam pad at our campsite (no dispersed camping permitted). we packed it out and it ended up coming in handy as a sit pad.

Edited by tarbubble on 04/25/2007 16:30:35 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: RE: Great Finds on 04/25/2007 16:56:48 MDT Print View

Nature finds?
Lots of bones, skeletons, rotting cougar kills (ewwwww...we smelled it all night, it was on a rock in the river)
Crystals in the North Cascades.

A brand new set of pack towels by Cascade Designs hanging in the trees. The people must have forgotten it. My gain, their loss ;-)

A loaded pack at a lake in early May. It looked like it had been there all winter. I am figuring they left it, and didn't come back for it. Still, it was odd and didn't give me a good feeling. I didn't touch it.

Worst find ever? Oh yeah, my friend Dicentra still gets ribbed about this one:
We were hiking in 2003 in the Olympics, she was a NP ranger then for the Olympics. The night before there had been a group of teens backpacking near us (boombox and pot included). One of them was this huge fat guy who sweated constantly. They left in the morning. As we were walking out she saw a huge white t-shirt on the side of the trail. In full LNT rant mode she stomped over with me screaming "don't touch it!". Oh yeah, she picked it up. The fat guy? He had taken the biggest dump I have ever seen and used his shirt as TP.
I still laugh over that. Hehheh. And no, it stayed there ;-)

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
my dad did find 2 dead guys in a tent once on 04/25/2007 17:10:37 MDT Print View

in Dusy Baisin in the Muir Wilderness

they were hit by lightning

i don't think he took any of their stuff ;)

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Dead guys on 04/25/2007 17:17:19 MDT Print View

We were quite grateful, too. We weren't dead at all, just a bit tired from the combination of heavy packs and thin air.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: my dad did find 2 dead guys in a tent once on 04/25/2007 17:17:38 MDT Print View

Wow, that is so tragic -- and sad... :(