Forum Index » GEAR » Pack Weight

Display Avatars Sort By:
michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re: pack weight on 03/16/2013 21:18:45 MDT Print View

This.

-------"The lighter your pack, the more miles per day you can hike.(if you are in good shape)
The more miles per day, the less food you have to carry.
Duh.

Thru hikers that carry very light packs, can often do 20-30 miles per day.
At that pace, 2- 3 days food will often suffice.

A thruhiker on AT last yr did 68 miles in 24 hrs.
Jenn Pharr Davis AVERAGED almost 50 miles per day on her AT the speed record, for 48 days, carrying only water and snacks, and sometimes people carried that for her. She did a 65 mile or so day too at the end.

It is all about the weight, really. If you dont understand this, you dont understand long distance hiking.

There is a huge difference between 15 and 20 lbs. HUGE difference.
Anyone purporting that 2-3 lbs of pack wt doesnt matter,is saying it doesnt matter for THEM and their style of hiking. That doesnt mean it doesnt matter to others."------------

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: pack weight on 03/16/2013 21:49:17 MDT Print View

Max,

I know your bored at work but for fecks sake stop upsetting the locals or I will have to get Yoda to pay you a visit.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Oh boy, I've lost my edge on 03/16/2013 22:03:28 MDT Print View

Yeah, this cantina is a tough place... I'm sweating like a pig at a sausage festival...

To anyone who thinks they know me:

I've got a blood tumor in my right foot the size of a golf ball, which bent all 5 of my largest tarsals and stunted the growth two and a half full sizes. This January was my third surgery, and I've spent six months of my life unable to walk.

Today, I closed my computer at around 10:00, went out, and ran 6 miles. Do you realize how close to a thru hike I am? I'm going to live my dream.

Now, I'm sorry if my lack of experience makes you think I'm silly for talking about the theory behind backpacking. I'm sorry if you think your PCT hike makes me irrelevant. But when all I can do is sit, and read book after book, and learn, and grow, because for a decade I was convinced I'd never do anything like this, I'll be damned if i'm not going to be a little PASSIONATE!

You'll see me around. You won't bug me if you get angry, and upset, and frustrated with this new guy who can't stop talking. I'm living the dream, and for the 75 posts that do nothing for me, 10 get me closer to a thru-hike and that is worth something to me, every day. Plus, a lot of people on here are really friendly!

Cheers. Hope not everyone hates me. :)

@Bob Gross, if you don't like it, don't read it. I'm published, I get paid twice a week, and I've been accepted to every graduate journalism program I applied to this year. B-)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Oh boy, I've lost my edge on 03/16/2013 22:13:01 MDT Print View

Its not your lack of experience Maxwell (or is Maximilian) its your delivery.

Edited by stephenm on 03/16/2013 22:18:13 MDT.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

:P on 03/16/2013 22:14:26 MDT Print View

Stephen, story of my life.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: :P on 03/16/2013 22:19:57 MDT Print View

Max,

Your around friends mate, just sit back and enjoy the ride :-)

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Packs on 03/16/2013 22:21:26 MDT Print View

"I'll be at the Bob in May for the Bob Open. Show up and we'll talk gear Friday night."

Dan, really wish I could do the Bob Open, but I can't get that kind of time off of work, especially as semester grades are due the next week. Maybe I'll come out Friday and hang out with you guys. I might even get to hike a couple of days that weekend if I have enough papers graded.

If my schedule looks clear enough, I'm hoping to talk to Dave about offering some shuttle assistance. It's a lot of "ifs" but that's how the end of May and beginning of June go.

Edited by GlacierRambler on 03/16/2013 22:23:47 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: :P on 03/16/2013 22:25:16 MDT Print View

Woah. Just came back to this thread. I'm into a few Guinesses right now, so I'm not gonna post anything. :D

Except at Dan's comment referring to the Baltoro.

"That cinderblock..." LOL!!

Edited by T.L. on 03/16/2013 22:26:09 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Yoda is watching us on 03/16/2013 22:29:24 MDT Print View

Just remember Yoda is watching all of us young Skywalkers.

Travis,

You must try my steak and Guinness stew some time :-)

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

St. Paddy's on 03/16/2013 22:30:42 MDT Print View

Speaking of Guinness, how was your Guinness Stephen?

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Re: Yoda is watching us on 03/16/2013 22:32:39 MDT Print View

Stephen, how we'll would that stew dehydrate?

Or do you mean you have steak and stew while you enjoy a fine Guinness?

Travis, I just came back too, but I don't have any Guinness. I suspect you're having the better time.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Life's Questions on 03/16/2013 22:35:45 MDT Print View

Is the plural of Guinness... Guinni?

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Re: Life's Questions on 03/16/2013 22:39:31 MDT Print View

Not unless it ends in "-us."

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Not Always on 03/16/2013 22:42:15 MDT Print View

Like everything else in English, that's completely irregular. If only it were all latin nouns (damn Campus...).

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Yoda is watching us on 03/16/2013 22:42:54 MDT Print View

Would you believe I was drinking Stella Artois all night, I picked up that filthy habit living in Belgium
I am not sure how it would dehydrate as yet to get my finger out and try.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Life's Questions on 03/16/2013 22:43:52 MDT Print View

Stephen, now you're pulling at my heartstrings.

Clayton...dammit. I have like 3-4 outstanding invites to go hiking all over the country, and now you add another. AND I CANT GO TO ANY OF THEM (at least not now).

Max...Guinni? You have to drink 8 of them first. But after 8 of them, I feel...I feel....like.....I'M INVINCIBLE!!!!

Edited by T.L. on 03/16/2013 22:45:57 MDT.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Re: Re: Re: Yoda is watching us on 03/16/2013 22:48:30 MDT Print View

Stephen, did you know Stella's owned by Budweiser? I know it's only psychological, but I swear it tastes different now.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yoda is watching us on 03/16/2013 22:49:11 MDT Print View

Thanks Clayton. You just ruined a good buzz.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Guinness is a Hiker's Brew on 03/16/2013 22:49:14 MDT Print View

I fell madly in love with a Brooklyn Lager last week when I was in NYC for the Colbert Report. I plan to go back soon, and continue the affair. Tomorrow night, it's Guinness and more Guinness. Look this up: Guinness is surprisingly good for you, better than almost every light beer.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Guinness is a Hiker's Brew on 03/16/2013 22:50:30 MDT Print View

Max... I totally am with you on the Guinness health thing. It's actually quite like medicine and other good-for-you things.