Forum Index » Gear Swap » Gear Swap Etiquette

Display Avatars Sort By:
Martin Van Laarhoven
(vtrek)

Locale: NorthEast
one more opinion on 03/19/2013 17:10:20 MDT Print View

I will start off by saying that I have had great experiences with buying things here on BPL. I also very much enjoy being able to access the wealth of information available to me here. But since we are venting...

1) I too would like to know what items have sold for, not so much to bleed my fellow hikers wallets dry (as one suggested) but to be assured that someone is not trying to bleed mine. I am new to light weight backpacking and want decent gear without paying more than I need to. I ALWAYS look up gear before I buy to feel confident that the price is reasonable.

2) What frustrates me is the amount of money y'all are willing to pay for used items. I laugh when I read things like "Sells new for $195, I have only used it six times, asking $185". Then I cry because someone actually pays it!!!

3) Yes, put actual photos of your item (most people do) and give detailed description (most do this too). It really helps those of us who are trying to learn what gear is what.

Again, I think this is a great site and well worth the subscription/membership price. I'm learning a lot and occasionally find gear at reasonable prices. Thanks for listening. (Well reading actually).

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: one more opinion on 03/19/2013 17:17:44 MDT Print View

While transparency and good prices are nice, remember that Gear Swap is a true free market.

1. An item is posted for a price.

2.Someone buys it because they want that item for the listed price. Its a free market trade, fair and square, no matter how ridiculous you may think of the price.

3. If #2 doesn't happen, the price is lowered until it sells or is taken off the market. What an item is listed for is 100% the sellers prerogative. The free market determines if it'll sell at that price.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Re: one more opinion on 03/19/2013 17:19:00 MDT Print View

MlD kit does seem to sell close enough to the retail price, this is mostly because of the delays in getting it new.
Some manufactures such as Hilleberg and Western Mountaineering do not allow retailers to sell at a discount so these items sell at
a premium if new or barely used.

Martin Van Laarhoven
(vtrek)

Locale: NorthEast
Re: Re: one more opinion on 03/19/2013 17:52:52 MDT Print View

Thanks for responding. I get it, but it is still frustrating. It's like people getting paid millions of dollars to play sports while Police and Firemen (those who protect us) don't. I get it, if people are willing to pay the money then it's their money. I for one, don't patronize "professional" sports, and, I don't buy things that are priced what is in my opinion too high. Now, having said that, I will confess that I have had to adjust the price I was willing to pay in order to get the item I want. I feel that used items should be somewhere near 50% off but I have learned that on a lot of things 30% off is a great price and I have had to do that, both here and on Hammock Forums. In the end I have been a happy buyer in every case, poorer yes, but happy too.
marty

Michael Gillenwater
(mwgillenwater) - M

Locale: Seattle area
Re: Re: one more opinion on 03/19/2013 18:04:51 MDT Print View

"True free markets" can be pretty crappy places to do business, assuming we are even clear what we mean by the term.

Suggested reading:
Reinventing the Bazaar: A Natural History of Markets
John McMillan
http://www.amazon.com/Reinventing-Bazaar-Natural-History-Markets/dp/0393323714

OK, I'll try and get off may academic soap box on this one.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Gear Swap Etiquette" on 03/19/2013 18:22:44 MDT Print View

""I too would like to know what items have sold for, not so much to bleed my fellow hikers wallets dry (as one suggested) but to be assured that someone is not trying to bleed mine""

^^^ This. I'm not a seller on Gear Swap, I'm a buyer. I want to get the best value I can for my money. I don't try and negotiate anyone down on their price- something about offering less than someone wants makes me feel wrong- so I wait until I see an item I want for a price I think is a good deal or at least reasonable.

Sometimes I'm looking for an item that no one has for sale on Gear Swap, and I can at least look on Gear Swap to see what that item has sold for historically and then at least know if the price on ebay (or whereever) is good.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: "Gear Swap Etiquette" on 03/19/2013 18:35:58 MDT Print View

If you post a picture pasted from the internet, I will not buy it. It almost seems the seller does not want to show it because of the shape it may be in.

The holds especially true for ebay.
Because of my little golden rule, I have never had a problem with any of the above complaints.

So for proper etiquette, I would say, post the "actual" picture of your gear and post the pictures of the blemishes.
This way the buyer absolutely knows what they are getting.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: "Gear Swap Etiquette" on 03/19/2013 18:38:39 MDT Print View

Oh, my bad, on craigslist, I bought a current model of a zero degree down bag (from the posted stock picture).

Turned out is was the crappy model from before that I could have bought new for the same price since a lot of places still had the older models in stock.

Yes, I was upset.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Pricing on 03/19/2013 18:46:55 MDT Print View

"Sometimes I'm looking for an item that no one has for sale on Gear Swap, and I can at least look on Gear Swap to see what that item has sold for historically and then at least know if the price on ebay (or whereever) is good."

Of course. eBay is a good sounding board for mass market items. The tricky stuff is the cottage gear and general UL niche market gear, which is the real strength of Gear Swap. You don't see much in the way of a used Cuben pack or shelter other than here.

A Golite Gust went for $200 on eBay lately, so it's not all apples and apples comparison.

And there is nothing wrong with being an educated buyer! I always compare new on the web against used here or anywhere else. Many times you will find a sale, better color, etc, etc. Sometimes you find that product has issues that you weren't aware of.

There is a cost/warranty line that you need to consider too. Buying a used air mattress is a good example: you pay more for a new one at REI, but that warranty is an iron clad insurance policy too. Likewise for cameras and electronics--- used may be great, but when the prices are too close to retail, warranty can trump the bargain.