Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
tuolumne meadows to the valley
Display Avatars Sort By:
Luke Khuu
(ninhsavestheday)
tuolumne meadows to the valley on 03/15/2013 16:13:07 MDT Print View

where are the fire rings between tuolumne meadows and merced lake, and merced lake and LYV?

Want to avoid vogelsang HSC and stay more in the backcountry. thanks

Katy Anderson
(KatyAnderson) - F
Everywhere on 03/15/2013 21:19:38 MDT Print View

You are not supposed to build new fire rings, but a lot of people ignore that rule. The result is that there are fire rings EVERYWHERE.
So chances are that if you think a particular spot looks attractive for camping, somebody in the past thought the same and built you a fire ring. Enjoy!

PS. Fires are prohibited above 9600 feet, so camp below that altitude if you want to have a fire.

Luke Khuu
(ninhsavestheday)
legal on 03/15/2013 23:49:13 MDT Print View

Are there any legal ones?

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Everywhere on 03/16/2013 01:19:04 MDT Print View

People like to build fire rings out of rocks every time they have a fire. I really don't understand why.
If you are going to build a campfire in an area where people camp often, then use the fire ring. But if there isn't a fire ring, then just build it right on the ground and scatter your ashes when done. Whenever I see a fire ring while hiking off trail I always disassemble it.

Katy Anderson
(KatyAnderson) - F
re: legal on 03/16/2013 19:24:10 MDT Print View

Yup, below 9600 feet they are legal.

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
Re: Re: Everywhere on 03/17/2013 11:35:59 MDT Print View

"But if there isn't a fire ring, then just build it right on the ground and scatter your ashes when done. Whenever I see a fire ring while hiking off trail I always disassemble it."

Or don't build a fire at all. I think we've built about three fires in the last seven years...always in an existing ring. You don't need a fire to camp, and they do mar the wilderness.

Edited by balzaccom on 03/17/2013 12:11:27 MDT.