Forum Index » GEAR » cheap + light backpack

Display Avatars Sort By:
Against theGrain
(Againstthegrain)

Locale: Selkirks
cheap + light backpack on 03/15/2013 11:57:41 MDT Print View

I just purchased one of these from MEC. It's by no means the worlds best pack but thought it looked like a great bag for fast day scrambles when I bring harness, axe and rope and could also do even up to 3 days backpacking.

Super cheap, light and customisable to be even lighter and comes with the MEC warranty (Don't like it return it). Great for those of us without access to a sewing machine to make a wicked light pack.

What do you guys think?

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/Daypacks/PRD~5028-695/mec-alpinelite-24-backpack-unisex.jsp

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: cheap + light backpack on 03/15/2013 12:05:44 MDT Print View

Makes me pine for the days (not all that long ago) when 75 US cents could buy us a loonie. Sigh....

But back to topic -- not real light for 24L but not heavy either -- and the pack looks good!

Edited by ben2world on 03/15/2013 12:06:48 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: cheap + light backpack on 03/15/2013 12:21:39 MDT Print View

Looks like a nice pack for the money. Good for climbing with the trim exterior.

I do like outside water bottle pockets and they add capacity to a small pack. For hiking, I would go with the new REI Flash 22 at that size/weight/cost. $49.95US and 453g/16oz.

Edited by dwambaugh on 03/15/2013 12:26:00 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
MEC on 03/15/2013 12:55:41 MDT Print View

the previous generation alpinelite ~20 litres were known as some of the best packs in that price range ....

MEC gear is "cheap" ... but not low quality ... and has a better warranty than many $$$$ manufacturers ...

theres really no reason for a mass manufactured pack to cost an arm and a leg ... other than marketing ...

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Travel Light Series on 03/15/2013 14:13:10 MDT Print View

I really like these MEC Packs

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/Daypacks/PRD~5023-571/mec-travel-light-top-loader.jsp

They are a real nice pack for quick overnights if you have crunched your volume down enough. I plan to add on water bottle pockets or else water bottle holders on the shoulder straps to make it a little more useful.