November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
cheap + light backpack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Against theGrain

Locale: Selkirks
cheap + light backpack on 03/15/2013 11:57:41 MDT Print View

I just purchased one of these from MEC. It's by no means the worlds best pack but thought it looked like a great bag for fast day scrambles when I bring harness, axe and rope and could also do even up to 3 days backpacking.

Super cheap, light and customisable to be even lighter and comes with the MEC warranty (Don't like it return it). Great for those of us without access to a sewing machine to make a wicked light pack.

What do you guys think?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: cheap + light backpack on 03/15/2013 12:05:44 MDT Print View

Makes me pine for the days (not all that long ago) when 75 US cents could buy us a loonie. Sigh....

But back to topic -- not real light for 24L but not heavy either -- and the pack looks good!

Edited by ben2world on 03/15/2013 12:06:48 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: cheap + light backpack on 03/15/2013 12:21:39 MDT Print View

Looks like a nice pack for the money. Good for climbing with the trim exterior.

I do like outside water bottle pockets and they add capacity to a small pack. For hiking, I would go with the new REI Flash 22 at that size/weight/cost. $49.95US and 453g/16oz.

Edited by dwambaugh on 03/15/2013 12:26:00 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
MEC on 03/15/2013 12:55:41 MDT Print View

the previous generation alpinelite ~20 litres were known as some of the best packs in that price range ....

MEC gear is "cheap" ... but not low quality ... and has a better warranty than many $$$$ manufacturers ...

theres really no reason for a mass manufactured pack to cost an arm and a leg ... other than marketing ...

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Travel Light Series on 03/15/2013 14:13:10 MDT Print View

I really like these MEC Packs

They are a real nice pack for quick overnights if you have crunched your volume down enough. I plan to add on water bottle pockets or else water bottle holders on the shoulder straps to make it a little more useful.