Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MLD now has Evernew bladders in stock
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Evernew vs. EverPlaties on 03/15/2013 13:19:49 MDT Print View

Thanks, Mary.

It's been 2 or so years since I purchased a Platy. Did Platy change their threads? I hope not...

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Eh. They're nothing special. on 03/15/2013 15:53:47 MDT Print View

Platy vs. Evernew?

I've used both and stuck with Evernew a few years ago for their compatibility with the Frontier Pro filter and hosing. However, durability is a moot point, neither having an "edge" over the other in terms of build quality. I've seen both explode in the same fashion. Catastrophically. That fancy little bright orange cord toggle that everyone is crazy about that keeps the cute little orange cap attached is also the achilles heel of the Evernew bladders. When you roll up the bladder numerous times and store in your pack the cord can slowly cut into the neck of the blader causing failure. This was the case for my 2L Evernew bladder which failed on a trip. Luckily I had a backup bladder as well as a Gatorade bottle (*really the best and cheapest solution for toting 1L of water IMO)

The Evernew bladders have been around for a while now. For some reason they're trending amongst the BPL circle. Me thinks it's that orange. UL'ers are suckers for orange.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Eh. They're nothing special. on 03/15/2013 16:01:43 MDT Print View

Way to go, Killjoy. Thanks for knocking the excitement out of my first ever purchase of the Super Duper Amazing Evernew bottles that I can't enjoy a backpacking trip without.

;)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Eh. They're nothing special. on 03/15/2013 18:27:33 MDT Print View

Poor Travis, sounds like the grinch stole Christmas.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Eh. They're nothing special. on 03/15/2013 19:21:48 MDT Print View

"Me thinks it's that orange. UL'ers are suckers for orange."

Except Eugene. The first thing he did was dye the fancy little bright orange cord toggle a deep black...

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
I've got 99 problems but a filter isn't one. on 03/15/2013 19:30:25 MDT Print View

I don't know if the caps being orange sells me. I don't really lose a big plastic bottle very often where improved visibility was key.

As for the threads, a lot of people followed up looking for info.

-I bought my Platypus 2L bottle off of Amazon in February, the same week I bought my 2013 Sawyer Squeeze from MLD. MLD shipped out the Sawyer with the new and improved durable plastic bottle. I tried the Platy on a whim, and it mated absolutely perfectly. No forcing, no leaking. I tested it several times and it was perfect!

I seem to be the only one on BPL who managed to never have a problem with a filter, bottle, or connection... I've bought exactly one bottle, one filter, and one reservoir and all are compatible in TOO many ways. Useless ways!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: on 03/15/2013 21:36:02 MDT Print View

"I seem to be the only one on BPL who managed to never have a problem with a filter, bottle, or connection... "

What? Since February 2013? Just you wait. Mwahahaha....

Kidding with you, of course!! I too have never had a single mishap or leak with any of my Platys -- and my oldest one dates back to 2004. Read the myriad of posts over the years, my take is that:

1. Pretty much all the well-known brands are dependable -- you just need to exercise common-sense care.
2. Pretty much all the brands will have an odd lemon or three -- no exceptions here. I've read about Platy mishaps more than once. Same with the other brands.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: on 03/15/2013 22:03:17 MDT Print View

I've used a couple Platys over 10 years. After a while they start delaminating, getting yellow, and become stiffer. When you move the empty bag around it makes kind of as crinkly noise. I think it will fail at some point so I retire it and get another.

But using it with a Squeeze filter is different. You squeeze on the bag to get water through the filter so there's a lot more pressure on the bag. With the filter attached to the bag, it puts a lot of sideways force on it. Platypus, Evernew, or Sawyer bags could fail, especially if not babied, even though in just regular water carrying mode they'de all be fine.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: Re: Eh. They're nothing special. on 03/15/2013 22:07:46 MDT Print View

Since pictures are worth a thousand words...

side by side

Here's two Evernew bottles rolled up and secured with the fancy pants orange shock cord. This is how I would typically store my bladders in the side pocket of my pack. The one on the left is the handy 2000ml bladder and the one on the right is the 900ml. Both of these are roughly 4 years old. The larger bladder on the left is the one that failed in normal use from the shockcord "cutting" into the sides of the bottleneck while rolled up in my pack. Sure, it still holds water, but leaks like a sieve if not perfectly upright and/or filled up.

closeup

closeup2

Closeup of tear on one side. Both sides were torn equally.

neck

Delamination where the bladder meets the rigid neck opening.

So, my point?

The claimed durability isn't really all that great, at least in my case, not enough to be claimed the "toughest" IMO. But what do you expect from wafer thin polyethylene? The flexibility of the polyethylene will noticeably diminish in a good season of use, as with any of these "Platy" style vessels. I live in NM and it's dry, dry, dry. Maybe the heat and sunshine played a big role?

Something to consider if you have $12-$15 burning a hole in your pocket. That's at least a sixer of Oskar Blues Chub and a whole lot more fun.

Sorry if I hijacked your enthusiastic post Travis, just thought I'd bring everybody down a notch to my crotchety level tonight. Of course, YMMV with the Evernew bottles. One example of a failure doesn't mean they're garbage. Ben is right on, exercise common sense and care, and of course there will always be the odd lemon in the lot.

Edited by Eugeneius on 03/15/2013 22:09:56 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Eh. They're nothing special. on 03/16/2013 06:53:36 MDT Print View

"Since pictures are worth a thousand words..."

I'd say more like 286...

"The claimed durability isn't really all that great, at least in my case, not enough to be claimed the "toughest" IMO. But what do you expect from wafer thin polyethylene?"

Your pics certainly show that. I'd never really thought about the cord cutting into the bladder, your pics are quite illuminating. Thanks.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
+1 on the Pics on 03/16/2013 07:20:12 MDT Print View

Yeah, those pictures likely just saved 2015 Max Dilthey a new Platypus.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: +1 on the Pics on 03/16/2013 08:36:24 MDT Print View

Maybe the pictures show that you shouldn't put cord around bag like that?

Lots of satisfied Evernew users

I think Evernew is probably best, but Platypus (with correct threads) and even Sawyer bags will work too.

They're all lightweight bags subject to failure so you have to be careful with them

Edward Jursek
(nedjursek@gmail.com) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Evernew at Trail Designs on 03/16/2013 11:30:46 MDT Print View

Folks are always posting whenever Gossamer Gear or MLD gets the Evernew bags in stock. I bought mine at Trail Designs when I bought my Caldera Cone this winter.

Edit: I checked, and the "add to cart" tab is missing, so they might be out for now.

Edited by nedjursek@gmail.com on 03/16/2013 11:45:22 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Orange on 03/16/2013 11:53:03 MDT Print View

Up in Wisconsin, we don't call that "orange."

We call it "don't get your ass shot off during hunting season."

Come to think of it, I have an orange Talon pack, and orange quilt, and now, some orange Evernew caps.

Edited by T.L. on 03/16/2013 11:53:59 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Orange Alert on 03/16/2013 12:19:51 MDT Print View

Subconsciously, Travis is terrified of getting shot!

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Orange Alert on 03/16/2013 12:23:09 MDT Print View

>Subconsciously, Travis is terrified of getting shot!

Nope. Very CONsciously terrified!

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
BLADDER? Nope! on 03/16/2013 12:57:38 MDT Print View

The EVERNEW is nothing more than a light(er) Platypus collapsable bottle. It is most certainly not a true water bladder with attatchment points for your pack.

I'll stick with my Platy bottles for carrying extra water to dry camps.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Semantics. on 03/16/2013 13:02:24 MDT Print View

Same thing.