Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG Apex 5.0 quilt
Display Avatars Sort By:
And E
(LunchANDYnner)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
MYOG Apex 5.0 quilt on 03/14/2013 16:52:40 MDT Print View

**PERFORMANCE UPDATE** Used it along the Olympic Coast the other night. Nighttime temp right along the coast line was 38* and the quilt was very warm. I was fine not having any snaps/Velcro/zip along the footbox, just the drawstring and a buckle/elastic closure
30" up from the foot edge. I actually poked my feet out on purpose a few times to vent extra warmth, but did not have problems with my feet poking out unintentionally.

The pad attachment worked wonderfully. It is really easy to get in and out of. Just put elastic around the pad, and clip the quilt on just one side and the lower clip of the opposite side. Then after crawling in to sleep, buckle remaining top, snap neck closures and tighten drawcord as needed. Once inside, it's really easy to slide the quilt edges tighter or looser. I woke up around 2am cuz of the waves crashing in at high tide and tossed and turned several times until I fell back asleep and the quilt stayed on just fine, no drafts.

I am confident I can take this quilt down into the 20s especially with the proper layers.

Tent: BA Fly Creek UL2, shared with girlfriend... But she barely produces enough heat for herself.
***end update***

"warning": This is gonna be wordy and picture heavy, including in progress pictures.

Alright, finished my first ever MYOG 5.0 Apex quilt. I did the measuring/cutting and my Mom sewed everything up (She hijacked the sewing part :o) Not gonna complain). I'm 5'6", 155# and toss and turn. 44" neck, 52" at the widest-continues at 52" for 2 feet, then taper to 40" . 72" total length (went off of sin50 quilt guide).

666 grams, 684 grams with straps; 24.13 oz with straps

The advice from everyone on my other thread and all the great articles and tutorials from other people who made their own quilts were extremely helpful.

Couple of things I did different on my quilt is that my drawstring channel and drawstring was added to the calendered side of the head end of the top shell before sewing onto insulation. It was also installed 1" from the finished end and I used a small eyelet in the center, reinforced with a circle of Tenacious Tape. This creates a padded draft collar when I cinch the neck around me, and is much more comfortable than using the seam allowance to roll the drawcord channel at the very end.

For my quilt, did insulation on bottom, then bodyside/lining with calendered side facing down, then shell with calendered side up on the top.

This is the calendered side of the top shell with the drawcord attached (green strip on the black taper section).
draw unfinished
Single Pull drawcord through eyelet, and inch of padding around the neck. (Tacked through all layers in 3 places, foot side of the drawcord; keeps drawcord/shell fabric from just rolling forward.)
draft colar

Also finished the head end first, as a result of the drawcord/draft collar design and left the foot for turning rightside out and just did a rolled hem/drawcord channel down there with cord locks on either end.

2 button snaps at the neck. Pad attachment at 12" and 25" and removable buckle/bungee 30" from the bottom for the legs. Sewed on the grosgrain/buckles to the shell first before final construction. I'm able to keep the leg compartment closed with just the bungee and leg strap without the need for snaps/velcro or whatnot, so I'll leave it at that.

underside

Used Amy's Love Bird Quilt pad attachment design, but used smaller 1/2" buckles and elastic (available at Seattle Fabrics... if anybody needs some of the center release buckles but don't want to pay shipping if ordering just tiny bucks, let me know and I can go buy some and mail them to you in an envelope or something.)

One EXTREMELY helpful thing my mom did was she just did a super quick running stitch (thanks Christopher!) through all the layers in the seam allowance with thick cotton thread before sewing instead of clipping or pinning. This kept everything nice and in place and all she had to do was sew everything up and just pull the hand stitch right out. No need to pull pin/clip every few inches of sewing. See picture below:stitch
Here's my mom hard at work sewing. Didn't even need newspaper. Kept insulation on bottom and had no problems with it getting caught on anything. GO MOM!
My mom

Other than that, can't remember doing anything else much different from what others have done. Here are the finished pictures at last! Thanks for making it this far, and if you skipped down to here, then Hello!

flat

on pad

comfy

I had a lot of fun and look forward to using it next week during spring break, and my GF just bought a Women's Marmot Helium 15 from Backcountry to replace her women's MH Ultralamina 15 (34 women rating, but Mountain Hardwear uses men's rating on women specific bags to trick people) so she's stoked. Pretty sure I can take this into the low 20's since I sleep warm. Not sure where we're going to go, but we'll figure it out (no snowshoes and a Ford Fiesta limits where we can go in Washington round this time... looking for 1-2 nights, 20+ miles. Let me know if you have any suggestions!)

Thanks for looking!

Edited by LunchANDYnner on 03/30/2013 10:09:00 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: MYOG Apex 5.0 quilt on 03/14/2013 17:45:30 MDT Print View

Nice!

Nice of your mom to help

If you post each picture, seperated by a blank line, then it's easier to look at

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
MYOG Apex 5.0 quilt on 03/14/2013 20:33:20 MDT Print View

Nice, I like the colors, my daughters favorite.

Now MYOG will stand for "MOM'S YOU'RE OUTSTANDING GEAR" maker. Nice, sometimes my mom helps me with sewing projects other than MYOG, we like to keep it in the family.

I come from a lineage of upholsters, I'm not quite as good as my Grandpa yet, but work'n on it.

Jack

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

ALL DONE! on 03/14/2013 22:39:57 MDT Print View

Quilt is all done! It was a ton of fun, good mother/son time, with UFC breaks with my dad. Its nice to have parents live near by.

Thanks everyone for all the input and help!

Enjoy the pictures in the original post!

Also, for those about to tackle their first quilt, I'll do what I can to help as well, since this was my first quilt as well.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: ALL DONE! on 03/14/2013 22:49:04 MDT Print View

Nice! Moms are great.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: ALL DONE! on 03/14/2013 23:16:51 MDT Print View

Looks great An-D. Man, you work fast. Didn't you just get that material? The black at the head end was a good choice.

Appreciate the offer to help other people getting set for their own projects.
So ... when can your Mom come over? LOL.
Actually, I think your Mom already helped me. After reading dozens of posts about binder clips and clothes pins, I think that simple handsewn running stitch in the seam allowance takes the win.

Please post on performance after your trip.

Cheers.

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

Re: ALL DONE on 03/14/2013 23:29:01 MDT Print View

Running stitch! So that's what it's called. Thanks Christopher!

Yeah, cut the fabric at my Apt. as soon as I got it yesterday then went over to my parents place for lunch and to work on the quilt today. Last week of class before finals so of course I made the quilt instead of studying. Priorities, I've got them (actually, so far, acing my second to last quarter of college, so yay!).

Yeah, it worked really well. Made sewing the edges really easy for her.

I dug up all the clips I had and didn't use them... Well I made a bracelet by clipping them together.

Jerry- thanks for the tip about the pictures and your input on my other thread.

Jack- I like that new MYOG(m) definition.
Travis- and mine's the best! :o)

Edited by LunchANDYnner on 03/15/2013 01:09:26 MDT.

Greg Pehrson
(GregPehrson) - MLife

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
Re: MYOG Apex 5.0 quilt on 03/15/2013 05:56:49 MDT Print View

Well done! Enjoyed reading your process. I really like the neck cord/ draft tube design.
You wrote:
(3 button stitches placed equally apart foot side of the drawcord keeps drawcord from just rolling forward.)
Could you explain this a little more? Or show a close up picture? Also I don't see the drawcord in the picture where you're in the quilt. Did you pull the excess inside with you?
Thanks!

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Re: MYOG Apex 5.0 quilt on 03/15/2013 07:35:43 MDT Print View

Looks great, congratulations! My mom helped me sew up my quilt as well.

Adam

Edited by aroth87 on 03/15/2013 07:36:24 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: ALL DONE on 03/15/2013 08:09:38 MDT Print View

quilt looks great!

pictures better now too

coast of Olympic Peninsula is good right now, if it's not raining too much.

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

Neck draft/drawcord on 03/15/2013 09:06:23 MDT Print View

Greg:

Yeah, I didn't really explain that too well.. haha. Essentially, just tacked through all layers in 3 places along the neck drawcord. Before I did that, cinching the drawcord would just pull the top shell towards the neck and would functionally become like a rolled hem drawcord. By tacking it through in a few spots, cinching it makes everything bunch together so the neck draft tube stays put around the neck. Its sewn through, but only dots of sewing in 3 places, so no real cold spot to worry about,especially since its the neck draft tube and it'll be all bunched together when cinched anyways.

Also, before turning right-side out to finish the quilt, i trimmed extra insulation from the edges, but left what I had on the head end. When tacking through all the layers at the neck, I pushed that extra insulation towards the neck edge so that draft collar part got the excess that I didn't cut off.

Also, I did pull the drawcord into the quilt.

Here's some pictures:

Extra insulation cut off around edges, but left at the neck end prior to flipping right-side out.cropped insul
Picture of places I tacked through all layers after punshing the extra insulation upwards toward the neck edge.neck draft
And a close up:close up

Also, one thing I had a hard time finding out (visually anyways) before making the quilt was how well it packed down. I got it into a Sea-to-Summet 13L eVent dry sac very easily, without really having to stuff it in there. It can be compressed down to 12h x 7d, or less, but that probably isn't good for the insulation. I'll just be putting it at the bottom of my pack in a pack liner.
Also, picture for those like me that need a visual; 750ml Camel Back bottle for reference.stuffed

Edited by LunchANDYnner on 03/15/2013 09:26:30 MDT.

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

performance update on 03/30/2013 10:05:11 MDT Print View

Performance update added.