Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Square water bottle ~ 20oz? Anyone?
Display Avatars Sort By:
michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Square water bottle ~ 20oz? Anyone? on 03/14/2013 04:22:51 MDT Print View

Im thinking about attaching some (2) bottles on my shoulder straps.

It seems like if the bottle was square there would be less movement side to side.

Triangle would also work just as well.

Ill order off the internet if needed.

TYIA.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Locale: NEOH
Re: Square water bottle ~ 20oz? Anyone? on 03/14/2013 04:37:09 MDT Print View

Fiji water bottles have the shape you are looking for.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Re on 03/14/2013 04:51:31 MDT Print View

They are very short and fat though right?

I'm looking for something fairly streamlined.

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Re: Square water bottle ~ 20oz? Anyone? on 03/14/2013 05:42:13 MDT Print View

Salomon makes triangle shaped ones. I think mine is 16oz. but may be 20.

Richard Reno
(scubahhh) - M

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.
Shoulder strap pouches? on 03/14/2013 06:44:41 MDT Print View

You might want to try sticking the water bottle in one of the pouches, like Zpacks...
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/shoulderpouch.shtml

...and Simblissity sell.
http://simblissity.net/

If they don't work out for water, you can always cram your GPSr, wallet, iPhone, small camera, etc. in there.

Just my 2ยข worth...

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
Re: square water bottles on 03/14/2013 07:07:47 MDT Print View

The ULA pack method (shockcord) works best in my experience for securing water bottles to shoulder straps. I never found the various pouches to work well. The round shape doesn't roll around much with the shockcord and I wouldn't bother with a square bottle - just go to your grocery store and get the skinniest bottle you can find.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Square water bottle ~ 20oz? Anyone? on 03/14/2013 07:16:10 MDT Print View

+1 to what my "brother" John Harper said about the bungee system. I've used this for years and the bouncing is almost nil. Just tighten and hike.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Soft bottle on 03/14/2013 11:05:45 MDT Print View

I love the Platypus Plus bottles:

http://www.campsaver.com/platy-plus-bottle

I typically keep one on each shoulder strap. They are made of tough, rubbery urethane film that is much more resistant to puncture than the PET film used in most soft bottles. They are lighter than rigid bottles, they conform to irregular spaces inside the pack if slightly underfilled, they will flatten against a shoulder strap, and (most importantly to me) they don't slosh if you expel the air.

Randy Amos
(RandyAmos)

Locale: Indiana
Re: square water bottles on 03/14/2013 11:20:03 MDT Print View

I have to agree with the ULA style with shock cord! I have used it a few time now and love it. Super simple and it does not matter what bottle you use. I get very little movement with round bottles even they are full. I actually saw the idea from Sticks Blog. He has a pretty good tutorial on how he does it.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Ula on 03/14/2013 11:23:54 MDT Print View

Yes I am planning on using the ULA method, I still think a square bottle would be a little more secure.

Jeff Gray
(JeffGray) - F
bungie on 03/14/2013 11:35:39 MDT Print View

The thing I've noticed is that it matters if the bungie has something to hold it in position. I used the method as documented in Stick's blog. It worked well enough, though some minor issues because the shock cord moved up and down since there was just smooth strap for it to go around.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: shoulder strap bottle holder on 03/14/2013 12:08:27 MDT Print View

All the pocket and bungie rigs I've used have allowed for at least a little motion of the bottle when shoulder strap mounted, something for which I have no patience. In the last few years I've been carrying either a wide mouth 16oz nalgene or 20oz bike bottle on my shoulder strap with a Voile ski strap cinched through the hole into which my sternum strap mounts.

Like this: http://bedrockandparadox.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/img_6947.jpg?w=650&h=420

With this rig the bottle is totally stable and still easy to grab. I've done the same with larger, liter bottles, but the weight and size is a bit more than I prefer.

Scott Hayden
(Spiffyguy) - F
re shoulder strap water bottles on 03/14/2013 14:30:38 MDT Print View

I use the 700ml smart water bottles on my circuit. They fit good and have a flip top cap so I can one hand open it.

Vince Contreras
(pillowthread) - F

Locale: like, in my head???
Yes... on 03/14/2013 15:56:57 MDT Print View

+1 of the Fiji water bottles. Free water inside of them, from Fiji.

Edited by pillowthread on 03/14/2013 15:57:42 MDT.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Ula on 03/14/2013 17:14:01 MDT Print View

Michael,

US Plastic Corporation.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=73043&gclid=CN_14IKq_bUCFVGRPAodsk0AQg

16 oz and 32 oz, no 20 oz. :-(

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=34244

They are Nalgenes sold by US Plastic Corporation. Prices seem reasonable.

Party On,

Newton

Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

Locale: USA
_ on 03/14/2013 17:24:56 MDT Print View

My experience is that a square or triangle shaped bottle really won't help much with the side-to-side sway. Water is dense, and the top bungie connection is high on the bottle, so the bottle will sway unless you 1) have it in a pocket or 2) have it secured with 2 bungies like ULA.

On my non-ULA packs I thread 2 bungies on each shoulder strap, about 4"-5" apart in height. Works great with the round 24-oz Camelbak squeeze bottles I use.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: _ on 03/14/2013 19:20:58 MDT Print View

FWIW,

I regularly carry round water bottles in the two point ULA type bungee method and have had zero problems with sway.

4 pieces of 1/8" shock cord and 4 toggles keep everything from disposable 16 oz water bottles up to my peanut jar water bottles.

Re-purposed Great Value peanut jar in ULA style bungees

The shape of the bottle "vis a vis" the narrower spots where the bungee cord can be located is key to a secure carry. A simple overhand knot at the end of the bungee and a good quality strong toggle completes the ULA type system.

Party On,

Newton

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Pure Leaf tea on 03/14/2013 20:46:31 MDT Print View

Only 18.5 oz but should be what you want. Available at Walmart and Costco

michael levi
(M.L) - F

pure leaf tea on 03/14/2013 20:59:40 MDT Print View

That looks like the winner so far, thanks.