Forum Index » GEAR » Stuff sacks for sleeping bags

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: Pack Liner on 03/15/2013 10:54:58 MDT Print View

@ Sean, who wrote, "By the way, if I'm not using a stuff sack for my sleeping bag, should I also avoid using a stuff stack for my Exped Downmat UL 7? It's a pain in the ass to get that thing back in the bag."

By ditching the pad stuff sack -- you save effort, save time, save weight -- and actually increase packing efficiency! Just let the air out, fold down flat more or less to the size of your backpack -- slip into your backpack -- then pack over it -- starting with your bag, and then your clothing, etc.

Again, if rain or river crossing -- play it safe. Use a liner first -- then pack normal as described above.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Re dry sleeping bag on 03/15/2013 18:20:30 MDT Print View

Sean, you say you're using an Exped down mat. If you have or use the Exped dry bag schnozzle pump, it makes a pretty good sleeping bag pack liner. I put my sleeping bag, down sweater and anything else I want protected from water in the schnozzle bag, then either just fold over the top if I'm expecting a dry day, letting the weight of the rest of my gear compress the down, or if I'm expecting a wet day, I roll down the top in dry bag fashion.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
STS ultra sil nano on 03/15/2013 18:24:27 MDT Print View

These are awesome drybags, there made of 15d. And pretty cheap.

also I use a 20L for my down bag and clothing, it best to get it way oversized so it conforms to every crack in your pack.

I dont even seal it, there is enough excess to just fold it over and put the rest of my gear on top of it to compress it.

Edited by M.L on 03/15/2013 19:19:58 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: STS ultra sil nano on 03/15/2013 19:15:17 MDT Print View

As Stephen mentions the Exped Snozzle is great, It makes a nice pillow also.

If carrying my winter bag I end having to use a Sea To Summit event compression sack as its so bloody big.

Edited by stephenm on 03/15/2013 19:16:51 MDT.

Jared Baker
(simply_light) - MLife

Locale: Midwest, US
2nd the STS bags on 03/17/2013 14:42:33 MDT Print View

I found that compression sacks are great on paper, but in real life application do not work well most of the time. I ended up getting rid of all of mine.

However, I still like the idea of protecting my gear, so I use an oversized STS bag so that it will conform more to the corners and nooks in my pack.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Re: Re dry sleeping bag on 03/17/2013 19:24:34 MDT Print View

Stephen, great idea on the exped schnozzle. Not sure if the WM versalite will fit but I will check. I could then put the Downmat UL7 at the bottom of my bag and then use the pumpbag as a sack for my sleeping bag and place that next. Will try this on my next trip.

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
Make it to fit on 03/17/2013 19:39:12 MDT Print View

While I use a pack liner, I MYOG stuff sack to fit the pack. This way I get the most amount of pressure for the pack to fit in my lumbar curve. Often I will still have to stuff additional items on the other side of the sb to get the bottom filled out (depends on the size of the sleeping bag.

I oversize the stuff sacks I make compared to what the manufacturer supplies. I still can't believe how small the stuff sack was that came with my wifes Helium.

I make mine out of cuben, and the design is from Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking. It has a collar that can be twisted and tucked in to make the stuff sack water proof.

Steve

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Re dry sleeping bag on 03/17/2013 19:43:44 MDT Print View

Hi Sean,

My WM Alpinelite packs down quiet small inside it along with a lightweight down parka.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Re: Re: Re: Re dry sleeping bag on 03/19/2013 07:18:53 MDT Print View

I am old-fashioned, I suppose, in terms of a "Be Prepared" mentality based in having been in hard weather or other situations and so I try to balance wisdom with lightweight. Wisdom and a predilection for an old pack.

So, I use "waterproof" silnylon stuff sacks for my down bag, my down puffy and my "ditty bag". I carry my other clothing pressed flat in slippery, clear gallon ziplocks that keep dry clothes dry and wet clothes from affecting the rest of the pack and then utilize a trash-compactor bag and construction string for my pack cover in rain. My pack has been sprayed with a silicone analog to Scotch-Guard, and it beads water if wet.

A liner-bag doesn't work well for my system, because my pack has six distinct compartments, but the tried-and-true systemic approach to gear management has kept my gear dry in extended rains, after a dropped pack in the river that resulted in what must have been 80 plus lbs of weight to pull out of the water when I got to it and in fair weather where the simple organization and ability to press-out air from clothes makes for easy packing, finding and moving of gear from pack to tent, etc...

In terms of the stuff sacks, I think those E-Vent bottomed sacks are super cool and have been lusting for them, but I've been satisfied with the Sea-To-Summit silnylon bags which are available in different volumes for jackets, bags and etc... For the small stuff, the "waterproof nylon" bags sold in the 3-pack at Walmart for ten bucks have been great. 3 sizes and colors in one pack, with roll-tops.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re dry sleeping bag on 03/19/2013 07:50:40 MDT Print View

"In terms of the stuff sacks, I think those E-Vent bottomed sacks are super cool..."

+1

I use a Large to hold my Helium, puffy jacket, sleeping socks, etc. When closed but not compressed it completely fills my Ohm. As I lean on it the air goes out and I can squish it into the bottom of the pack. As I load in more, the stuff settles in to the bag and squishes out more air. I end up with a very compact bottom layer, with no voids or hollows. Every bit of space is filled/used.

Edited by greg23 on 03/19/2013 07:51:46 MDT.