Forum Index » Gear Lists » Summer in the Rockies

Display Avatars Sort By:
Allen Butts
(butts0989) - F - MLife

Locale: Northern Rockies
Summer in the Rockies on 03/13/2013 17:16:56 MDT Print View

Hey guys this is my list for this summer. Ill be working for Outward Bound up in Leadville for the summer and we will have some time off to do some quick over night hikes. This is my list for those outings. This list does have some creature comforts in it, reason being I'm trying to show some people and guides at Outward Bound how you can comfortably go lighter and still be safe.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApRqVaUJdZmddEdjUVEwWkdrcE5IZzR3QVBIdGJPMnc#gid=0

daniel B
(dbogey) - F

Locale: East Coast
No Access on 03/13/2013 17:48:05 MDT Print View

Cannot see the sheet

Allen Butts
(butts0989) - F - MLife

Re: No Access on 03/13/2013 18:40:39 MDT Print View

sorry bout that, its public now

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: Summer in the Rockies on 03/13/2013 20:01:47 MDT Print View

Couple of areas I see you can reduce weight

Rain cover. This weighs 1/4 of the weight of your pack and water can stiil leak in through pack straps. I use a trash compactor bad inside of my pack which weighs 40g.

Phone charger only bring if you have a place to chage obviously on short overnight you dont need it

Flip flops - do you need them? And for a light weight alternative you can take a blue foam pad, trace out the shape of your foot and a strap, then duck tape the strap. I think mine were under 2 oz for the pair. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=46709

Water Capacity. You look like you have a lot. Do you need it all or could you leave 1 or 2 containers behind?

Other that that your the only thing that looks heavy is that you have almost 2 lbs of misc stuff. Looking through it it all looks usefull but it ends up being about 20% of your basweight.

Allen Butts
(butts0989) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Summer in the Rockies on 03/13/2013 20:05:32 MDT Print View

Thanks for then good advice Greg, those are all great ideas!

craig johnston
(HighLife)

Locale: New England
oh yeah ! on 03/17/2013 15:22:11 MDT Print View

Just made a ZRest Sol into Sandals very very comfortable , Thanks ...CDT here I come ... WHOOP !!