Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Frankenstein: The Cook Kit. Questions / Comments / Critisms welcome
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Fish
(daniel@fishfamilypdx.com)

Locale: PDX
... on 03/23/2013 10:54:41 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 11:44:18 MDT.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
The cook kit on 03/23/2013 17:57:09 MDT Print View

Daniel I like what you've done, looks great.

Since we're on the cook kit subject I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring, so to speak.

This is my go to kit 90% of the time, it will last me 3-4 days worth, for boiling water on the fuel that is included in the total weight. This does not factor in that I can aslo use this kit in wood burning mode where permissible

The total weight is 12.8 oz with the AGG cozy and 10.7 without it.

I started with an Imusa mug (the larger one) and cut the handle off for easier storage and cozy fit.

The kit includes Imusa mug, homemade pot cozy, mini bic, 3 esbit tabs, 2 oz of alcolhol, Starlyte alcolhol stove by Zelph Stoveworks, esbit Titanium stove, Titanium pot stand made by our very own BPL member Gary Dunckle (Zia-Grill-Guy, thanks Gary it works great)Titanium wind screen, neoprene pot grabber, Titanium lid, wash cloth, aluminum heat shield, one paper clip and one rubber band.

I've used this in the winter at 21* outside and the water in the bottle was a little frozen, but I managed to get 3 cups of water out.
On one oz of fuel in the Starlyte, with 3 cups of almost frozen water, it took 15 min to a rolling boil with a burn out at 22 min. This kit has worked good for me so far and the esbit is efficient also, taking about 6-7 min to boil 2 cups of water.

Cook kit in Anitgravitygear cozy.

cook set

Cook kit out of AGG cozy.
cook set

All the components.

cook set

cook set

Without the AGG cozy.

cook set

All inside, with room for more fuel or utensils.

co

Jack

Edited by jumpbackjack on 03/23/2013 18:07:42 MDT.

James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: 14 grs fuel used, that's awesome! on 03/23/2013 19:37:14 MDT Print View

Yep, only 14grs for the amount of water. I'd guess its closer to 11-12gr based on the amount of simmer it had left after reaching boiling.

This is zelphs "modified" starlite, a stanco geasepot and myog Al flashing cone/stand. Total weight of these components is ~4.5oz.

Daniel Fish

... on 03/23/2013 20:31:21 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 11:41:27 MDT.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Stanco Grease Pot on 03/24/2013 11:33:14 MDT Print View

James, a few years ago is when I experimented with the Modified StarLyte Burner in an enclosed environment. I made some myog Al flashing windscreens cone shaped but not pot supporting. I used the StarLyte stove with modified burner. The Stanco Kmart grease pot sits right on the stove. Windscreen snugs right up close to the pot.

As others have witnessed, the windscreen need not be cone shaped when using the Modified Burner.

In these two photobucket videos you can see how the Modified Burner is used with the Stanco Grease pot.

video ZMartCookKitWindscreen.mp4

video ZMartCookKitUTube.mp4

Daniel Fish

... on 03/24/2013 12:25:52 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 11:38:06 MDT.

Daniel Fish

... on 03/24/2013 12:51:25 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 11:35:12 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: RE: Heat Exchanger vs. No Heat Exchanger on 03/24/2013 13:57:21 MDT Print View

I'm intrigued with the Jetboil pot and Easbit option. I found a used Flash pot to experiment with last week. I've been looking for cans to fit but haven't found a ready made fit yet.

The best option so far has been the fat short cans used for canned tomatoes. That size is about 3/8" too wide to fit the outside diameter of the bottom section where the bayonet lock to engage the stove is. I need a way to make a clean circular cut in the top of the can to give a good tight fit for the pot. I want a good stable setup when done.

I have one option made from the stainless sidewall of an Ikea utensil holder that fits inside the bottom ring of the pot, just rolling it and fastening it with a stove bolt and washers through the existing holes. The smaller diameter is less stable. My Big Plan is to do a precise fit on the outside with some aluminum flashing and pop rivet it together. That should still fit inside the pot. Then I need to cook up a holder for the Esbit tab ( pun intended).

Daniel Fish

... on 03/24/2013 18:33:24 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 10:54:19 MDT.

James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Re: RE: Heat Exchanger vs. No Heat Exchanger on 03/25/2013 09:51:48 MDT Print View

"The purpose of the heat exchanger and the windscreen is to make sure that all the heat energy in the fuel is transmitted to the water"

Probably better to think of the HTX purpose as increasing the energy xfered to the water -- no HTX will ever get it all there. Your two tests don't isolate the HTX effect well enough bc the pot geometry is so different. Do you have a cookpot that has similar shape as the JB (diameter & height/volume) but no fins? If so I'd run a test comparing those.

I guarantee that if you cut the fins off of your JB the fuel consumption would go up in your test, I won't speculate how much.

I do think the that with a HTX pot inside a cone you get diminishing returns wrt fuel economy vs increased pot weight.

Daniel Fish

... on 03/25/2013 12:24:18 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 10:52:37 MDT.

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
RE: Heat Exchanger vs. No Heat Exchanger on 03/26/2013 06:42:17 MDT Print View

My limited experience with a JetBoil pan and small alcohol burners suggested that they're not a good match; quite a lot of sooting on the pan, and slow boil times.

The thing to remember is that a heat exchanger is only useful if there's a lot of heat to exchange. For a gas burner set on full power, there's a lot of heat, from a vigorous flame, and the heat exchanger can pull out the heat from the flame that would otherwise spill (relatively) uselessly up the side of the pan. This is what contributes to the JetBoil's fast boil time, and reputation for burning food to the bottom of the pan...

For lower-power burners, such as alcohol and Esbit, with sluggish flames, there isn't a great deal of heat spare in the flame for the exchanger to extract. In the worst case, the exchanger can actually work in reverse, radiating heat from the hot pan to the environment, reducing the efficiency of the stove.

My suspicion is that the sluggish flames also have trouble getting through the closely-packet vanes on the JetBoil, resulting in poor gas flow and thus poor combustion, hence the sooting.

Daniel Fish

... on 03/26/2013 10:20:11 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 10:51:56 MDT.

James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Re: RE: Alcohol stove + Jetboil = sluggish cooktime and sooty burn on 03/26/2013 10:41:13 MDT Print View

Daniel, I think Ti or Al shouldn't matter (the importance of the differnent materials will likely be much smaller than the other vaiables in this test).

I have been meaning to make a cone/windscreen for the HTX pot I have for some time now. I also happen to have an IMUSA mug that is nearly identical in diameter as the HTX pot (olicamp something). I can test this with the alcohol burner I have.

Kevin, I have a feeling the HTX fins would have to be obscenely large (relative to the combustion gas crossectional area) before the negative effect you mention would be possible.

James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Re: RE: Heat Exchanger vs. No Heat Exchanger on 03/26/2013 10:52:30 MDT Print View

Also, I have "experimented" with using a HTX pot on a canister stove using a suspended windscreen design - with the stove throttled way down.

I noticed a definite improvement from adding the close fitting windscreen -- infact, combustion gases cooled enough such that water was condensing on the side of the cookpot after adding the windscreen.

With the alcohol set up I am playing with now I still notice significant heat coming out of the cone. The best I am able to get on fuel effeciency is ~60%(heat required)/(actual fuel energy burned).

The sooting issue might be the real failure of this combo - because of HTX fouling rendering the fins much less useful.

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
re : Esbits on 03/26/2013 12:30:18 MDT Print View

> Just a gentle clarification. The setup I'm working on is for esbits not alcohol.

Yes, I know...

But alcohol and Ebsit are both low-power compared to a gas burner, and I find they behave quite similarly when it comes to air supply and hot gas flow requirements. So, whilst I haven't tried Esbit tabs with a JetBoil, I thought the alcohol experience might be useful.

Daniel Fish

... on 03/26/2013 15:07:59 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 10:47:48 MDT.

Daniel Fish

... on 03/30/2013 17:29:32 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 10:47:09 MDT.